Monoprice - no more Norco shipping to CA? Ouch.

hardware_failure

[H]ard|Gawd
Maybe this is old news to some...

I went to order a handful of cables from monoprice (as I have many times over the last few years)

Subtotal came to $19.34. 2 day shipping comes up as $17.38, and even 3-5 was $8.96. This is for about .5lbs of cables. Wait... what???

I chatted with a rep, apparently they dont use Norco anymore, which is what Im used to. Norco would be overnight shipping to most CA areas for practically nothing. This is what really made monoprice special to me and Im sure tons of other people.

RIP my business to monoprice I guess. :(

I ordered some items a few weeks ago, one of them being their 5.1 speaker set and it shipped out via Norco for practically nothing, but it got lost for about 3 days. Considering the size of the item, I find it odd that they could "lose" it.

It eventually turned up days later, after Monoprice had already dispatched replacements for the items I ordered so I rejected the package. Maybe Norco's quality of service has been dwindling as of late, which could explain the end of their working relationship with Monoprice.

Then again, my replacement items were shipped out UPS Next Day and arrived nearly 5 days later, so maybe their contract just ran out and couldn't come up with a satisfactory agreement. :p

Well at any rate, its a big bummer. Since I have become such an Amazon whore and Amazon has become such a beast, I like to give my business elsewhere if it makes reasonable sense. Unfortunately something like shipping being 1/2 or more of the subtotal is not exactly reasonable sense.

I used to love Monoprice, but when they stopped NorCo shipping to Nevada I buy much less from them. I will only order if I can get an order of $100 or more.

It's often worth buying 1-2 cables for a couple bucks more with Amazon Prime if you have it. But Monoprice is usually still worth it with the shipping cost if you order a few (or more) cables.

Monoprice's shipping rates have always been shit to NY. I only use them when buying larger boxes of cables or buying in bulk. A lot of their stuff is available on Amazon with free Prime shipping so I go that route if available to, like their RedMere cables.

Oh... boo. But, I can work around it. The product I go through constantly is the 8639-1.5ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable which I buy every few months in bulk. When you combine it with a wall charger and a 5433-6ft USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Extension 28/24AWG Cable, it's a great way to charge up the USB devices, and it's cheap to replace the 8639 cable when the plug wears out (usually the two retaining clips, not the cable itself).

i really miss bluebegs free fedex saver that used to make it all worthwhile. UPS to service to my home is GARBAGE everything comes dirty and/or crushed.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a company that rhymes with Bluebeg

Not sure how it reminds you of Newegg, since Newegg still has good pricing 24/7 and runs tons of hot deals forum material constantly. Latest scores were a $10 60gb ssd, and a $675 4k 32" 60hz ips monitor (sst).

Not sure how it reminds you of Newegg, since Newegg still has good pricing 24/7 and runs tons of hot deals forum material constantly. Latest scores were a $10 60gb ssd, and a $675 4k 32" 60hz ips monitor (sst).

Sure almost every sale requires some bullshit rebate. CA sales tax. Lowsy UPS to USPS Surepost. Riiiigghhhtt they haven't lost any luster.

Sure almost every sale requires some bullshit rebate. CA sales tax. Lowsy UPS to USPS Surepost. Riiiigghhhtt they haven't lost any luster.

Sales tax is normal :rolleyes: . So is free shipping being slower than extra-expense paid-for shipping upgrades. And rebates aren't anything new... the early 1990's are calling, they want to say hi to someone who hasn't heard of them yet!

Sales tax is normal :rolleyes: . So is free shipping being slower than extra-expense paid-for shipping upgrades. And rebates aren't anything new... the early 1990's are calling, they want to say hi to someone who hasn't heard of them yet!

Thing is... we've known about rebates since the 90s, sure, but the thing is that they sucked then, they suck now, and they will continue to suck in the future. Probably every person in this thread has been screwed over with rebates by having them denied for BS reasons that a company is unwilling to fix if you can manage to get in touch with them at all. For me, the most recent was a Powercolor rebate for a video card. They refused it because they said I printed the invoice from email and not Newegg's site, but I am 100% positive I printed it from Newegg's own site and not from my email. They don't care at all. They screwed me over for $20 and now they will never get my business again. I don't know why companies of today think it is a good idea to screw customers over like this.

Last edited:
Thing is... we've known about rebates since the 90s, sure, but the thing is that they sucked then, they suck now, and they will continue to suck in the future. Probably every person in this thread has been screwed over with rebates by having them denied for BS reasons that a company is unwilling to fix if you can manage to get in touch with them at all. For me, the most recent was a Powercolor rebate for a video card. They refused it because they said I printed the invoice from email and not Newegg's site, but I am 100% positive I printed it from Newegg's own site and not from my email. They don't care at all. They screwed me over for $20 and now they will never get my business again. I don't know why companies of today think it is a good idea to screw customers over like this.

I've never had a rebate denied that wasn't easily fixed, and issues are extremely rare with them (I do a ton, too). Just like any other important document, you should have copies of what's being sent (photo as appropriate). This is just standard procedure in life on basically anything, and it resolves any issues you might run into with rebates quite easily. The vast, vast majority of people have no problems with rebates, they just statistically often forget to even send them in, which is part of how they are able to offer them to create such great deals as they can amortize the cost with the probability of how many won't even be submitted before they expire. I'm sorry, but your goof-up (or potential goof-up) that turned into a he-said she-said since you had no proof of what you sent in, doesn't mean anything as to whether rebates are reliable.

Just ordered from Monoprice for the first time. Next day delivery to Arizona was pennies more, so I jumped on it. They gave me a tracking number and didn't tell me how to track it. It doesn't look like any other tracking number I've seen before. Still wondering how it will arrive.

Copy the tracking number into the Google search bar. See what it brings back.
It can usually tell what tracking service is being used.

Problem is I never ever get 1/2 my rebates back which I know are valid at new egg.

And here's why:

A company like "bluebag" or whomever goes to a rebate clearing house and says, "we will give you $200,000 for rebates. But we only expect to get about $150,000 worth of claims. If you go over, you have to cover the cost. Any extra left over you keep."

Its an incentive for the clearing house to lose your claim or deny it because it has a jelly stain on the white corner. And it's BS.

I refuse to buy anything on rebate. If amazon has it cheaper I go there.

This is why a number of sites REFUSE to do pricing based on rebates.

Copy the tracking number into the Google search bar. See what it brings back.
It can usually tell what tracking service is being used.

I tried that first. Google doesn't recognize Golden State Overnight tracking numbers. I had to call them to find out it's GSO.

Forget rebates, you can't even cancel orders on newegg. I tried to cancel an order 8 minutes after I made it and I had zero option to do so and live chat rep basically told me I'm screwed and to refuse the package which is not even coming to the right address in the first place lol. Amazon would have had the order canceled and I wouldn't have even had to talk to anyone to get it done. Newegg can screw off after this.

Edit: lol after going through 2 reps I finally got my order canceled. They still said it wasn't always a 100% thing when trying to cancel orders though.

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1041777626 said:
I used to think this too, but in my last refresh of my system, they had better prices than Amazon for 100% of what I bought, and got my business back.

IMO, what you do is you buy a bunch of stuff that you won't need for some period of time and keep it in a box. For my folks, I bought them a bunch of HDMI cables so that if one goes bad (or they add a set), they have cables. I suspect that won't help with some newer TVs, but they just bought a huge 2k TV 2 or 3 years ago, so it doesn't matter. The first time a cable died, they made their money back vs buying it at Best Buy (and there's no way dad is waiting for a cable from Amazon...even overnight isn't fast enough.

IMO, what you do is you buy a bunch of stuff that you won't need for some period of time and keep it in a box. For my folks, I bought them a bunch of HDMI cables so that if one goes bad (or they add a set), they have cables. I suspect that won't help with some newer TVs, but they just bought a huge 2k TV 2 or 3 years ago, so it doesn't matter. The first time a cable died, they made their money back vs buying it at Best Buy (and there's no way dad is waiting for a cable from Amazon...even overnight isn't fast enough.

Same thing I did. Bought 20 micro usb cables for charging various Android devices.

I'm always breaking those things.

Maybe this is old news to some...

I went to order a handful of cables from monoprice (as I have many times over the last few years)

Subtotal came to $19.34. 2 day shipping comes up as $17.38, and even 3-5 was $8.96. This is for about .5lbs of cables. Wait... what???

I chatted with a rep, apparently they dont use Norco anymore, which is what Im used to. Norco would be overnight shipping to most CA areas for practically nothing. This is what really made monoprice special to me and Im sure tons of other people.

RIP my business to monoprice I guess. :(

Earlier this week I placed the order below, and it was $6.99 for overnight shipping. Not bad I thought.

8789 18inch SATA 6Gbps Cable w/Locking Latch - UV Green 1 $0.44 $0.44
8787 18inch SATA 6Gbps Cable w/Locking Latch - UV Blue 1 $0.63 $0.63
8786 10inch SATA 6Gbps Cable w/Locking Latch - Neon Blue 2 $0.40 $0.80
8793 12inch 4pin MOLEX Male to (2) 15pin SATA II Female Power Cable (Net Jacket) 1 $0.81 $0.81
5291 3ft 14AWG Power Cord Cable w/ 3 Conductor PC Power Connector Socket (C13/5-15P) - Black 2 $1.90 $3.80
5290 2ft 14AWG Power Cord Cable w/ 3 Conductor PC Power Connector Socket (C13/5-15P) - Black 2 $1.77 $3.54
8323 Premium Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone 1 $23.98 $23.98
8076 USB Wireless Lan 802.11N High Power Adapter w/ 2 Antenna - 2T2R (300Mbps) 1 $18.54 $18.54

Back