Monoprice Monolith M1060 & M560 Planar Headphones

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Anyone have an opinion on these planar headphones from Monoprice? I was reading that the first batch of M1060 had mmx connector issues, but Monoprice had changed the design for batch #2 based on community feedback. The M560 can be open or closed according to the product page.

Head-Fi thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/820107/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones

160511.jpg

Monolith M560 Planar Headphones $199.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12009&cs_id=1082302&p_id=16051&seq=1&format=2

Full Specs
Model 16051
Style Open or Closed
Magnetic Structure Matrix Double Pole
Magnet Type Neodymium
Driver Size 56mm
Maximum Power Handling 500mW
Maximum SPL 100dB/1mW at 1kHz
Frequency Response 16 Hz ~ 40 kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion Less than 1% at 1mW; 1kHz
Impedance 42 ohms ±10% at 1kHz
Optimal Power Requirement 20mW
Weight 1.1 lbs. (500g)

160501.jpg

Monolith M1060 Planar Headphones $299.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12009&cs_id=1082302&p_id=16050&seq=1&format=2

Full Specs
Model 16050
Style Open
Transducer Type Planar Magnetic
Magnetic Structure Linear Symmetry Magnets
Magnet Type Neodymium
Driver Size 106mm
Maximum Power Handling 10W (for 200ms)
Maximum SPL >130dB
Maximum SPL >130dB
Frequency Response 10Hz ~ 50kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion Less than 1% at 1mW; 1kHz
Impedance 50 ohms
Efficiency 96dB / 1mW
Optimal Power Requirement 200mW - 4W
Weight 1.1 lbs (500g)

Good sound, cheap construction. I would pass, but I hear their warranty service on them is decent so go ahead if you want to try out planar.

So I just got my nearly new set from Beach Camera via Amazon today. Cost $245 without tax.

Listened to some music off Tidal. I chose the Masters recording when available:

Michael Jackson
Prince
Roy Orbison
Bo Diddley
Tom Petty
Lenny Kravitz
Big Daddy Kane
Miley Cyrus
Lesley Gore
Charles Bradley
Foo Fighters
Al Green
Bee Gees
A Tribe Called Red
Stone Temple Pilots
Bonnie Tyler
Beyonce
Fleetwood Mac
Kendrick Lamar
David Bowie
Ramones
Otis Redding
The Black Crowes
Herbie Hancock
Jerry Lee Lewis
Darius Rucker
Shania Twain
Rhiannon Giddens

Best headphones I've heard in my life. ;) No sweat or discomfort listening to at least a track from each of those artists in a row without a break. I will try some gaming tonight if I am up for it. I love the bass in these compared to everything else that I've heard. Seem very neutral and balanced to me. Highs are kept in check to refrain from screaming and the bass is potent but never outshines the vocals. I wish they marked the drivers left and right. I understand that you can plug the headphone jacks into either side, but after you set them down to grab a snack, you are perplexed as to which is left and right. ;)

Guess I need an amp for these as I think the SoundBlaster ZX is running out of steam with these. Emotiva time? The never ending cycle continues on...

The only song that I was not feeling was a new Darius Rucker track. I had never heard it before and it seemed to blend together somewhat. I'm tired so that might be why. I'll try it again tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I tried the STAX 009's at the South-West Germany hifi expo last weekend. Sounds great but fails where all headphones do - not a realistic sound stage. Sound is in your head.

STAX 009 + Smyth realizer would be already 12k dollars. I think I'll stick with speakers :)

Last edited:
Always been curious about these. Love me some planar. If you're in the market for affordable planar you can also consider the HiFiMan 400i, which is usually on sale for $250. Endless threads comparing the 1060 to the 400i online if you're curious, neither is definitively better than the other and seems to be a preference thing.

Monoprice also recently released planar IEMs, the M300. Those also look interesting.

I tried the STAX 009's at the South-West Germany hifi expo last weekend. Sounds great but fails where all headphones do - not a realistic sound stage. Sound is in your head.

STAX 009 + Smyth realizer would be already 12k dollars. I think I'll stick with speakers :)

Stax 009 ($3825) + Smyth Realizer ($1995) is $5,820. I assume you are pricing $6,200 here for amp, but the 009s are pretty sensitive (compared to the 007s), and don't necessarily need a super expensive +/- 500V T2 amp to generate enough slam to compete with dynamics (Stax branded amps are +/-350V). In fact you will find $800-1000 amps with +/-400V power supplies like an old KGSS will be more than satisfactory.

Stax 009 ($3825) + Smyth Realizer ($1995) is $5,820. I assume you are pricing $6,200 here for amp, but the 009s are pretty sensitive (compared to the 007s), and don't necessarily need a super expensive +/- 500V T2 amp to generate enough slam to compete with dynamics (Stax branded amps are +/-350V). In fact you will find $800-1000 amps with +/-400V power supplies like an old KGSS will be more than satisfactory.

I would not pay that kind of sums (even half of that) for head gear unless I was forced to live in a concrete 10' x 10' rathole with paper thin walls.

I have a separate building for my hobbies. And even then the neighbors who live 300 yards away sometimes complain about the bass.

I would not pay that kind of sums (even half of that) for head gear unless I was forced to live in a concrete 10' x 10' rathole with paper thin walls.

I have a separate building for my hobbies. And even then the neighbors who live 300 yards away sometimes complain about the bass.

I sometimes like to listen to some music before I sleep and don't want to bother the neighbors, and I was able to put together a "cheap" Stax 009 setup used (1800 for a used 009 locally and a used kgss dx amp for 600). It didn't cost more than the HD800S+amp I had previously and replaced it with. But I do agree, speakers are a far more enjoyable experience. High end electrostatics like the 007/009 do have a very enchantingly smooth midrange that I haven't heard from dynamic speakers before.

Last edited:
I sometimes like to listen to some music before I sleep and don't want to bother the neighbors, and I was able to put together a "cheap" Stax 009 setup used (1800 for a used 009 locally and a used kgss dx amp for 600). It didn't cost more than the HD800S+amp I had previously and replaced it with. But I do agree, speakers are a far more enjoyable experience. High end electrostatics like the 007/009 do have a very enchantingly smooth midrange that I haven't heard from dynamic speakers before.

Good headphones might be excellent combined with the Smyth realizer. In theory the experience should be quite similar to speakers then. Unfortunately they didn't have Smyth at the South-West Germany hifi expo. Possibly in Munich but that expo is more commercial than fun. You really can't sit down and enjoy music there, unlike Bonn.

cageymaru did you test those for gaming yet ? They might be my next headphones (m1060). I prefer speakers over headphones but can't really use them while gaming when voice chat is needed.
I currently use sennheiser hd598 se with a modmic when I need VC and while they sound good, I upgraded a lot of my sound system over the past year and I find that they aren't as good sounding as I once tough.
(just posted about my setup here if anyone care to find out more about it)
Also do you think they'd be a great fit for someone with a large head ? (no problem on that side with the hd598, great comfort)

cageymaru did you test those for gaming yet ? They might be my next headphones (m1060). I prefer speakers over headphones but can't really use them while gaming when voice chat is needed.
I currently use sennheiser hd598 se with a modmic when I need VC and while they sound good, I upgraded a lot of my sound system over the past year and I find that they aren't as good sounding as I once tough.
(just posted about my setup here if anyone care to find out more about it)
Also do you think they'd be a great fit for someone with a large head ? (no problem on that side with the hd598, great comfort)

I ran some Player Unknown Battleground the other day and I could tell where everything was on the map. I'll do some Battlefield and others tonight and give you a better answer. Here is a review that sold me on them.

I have a really big head too, so don't worry about that. :)

I've watched some of Z review's before but didn't knew he did a review on the m1060. After watching he's review of the m1060 I think I would love them.
I know that the rev 2 fixed some of the issue he talks about too.

Looking forward to hearing more of your comments on using these for gaming.
But I'm pretty much sold on them already just need set aside some extra cash before I order them.

Personally I love them for gaming. I'm trying to find something wrong with them, but I can't.

I bought the M560s awhile ago after watching people rave about them. I was looking for a high quality portable audio solution for myself.

The build quality is on a whole other level then anything I've known. Feels super sturdy with a mix of wood and metals on the important parts. And man, they look beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

I wanted to love them so badly, but I couldn't. The sound just felt distant to me.. I wanted to get closer, but I couldn't... Not without cranking up the volume to uncomfortable levels.

Also there was a level of detail that I felt wasn't represented. Some things I just couldn't hear when compared to other budget headphones I've used.

I had to return them because I couldn't justify such great looks without the great performance.

I honestly think most people who rave about them are just disillusioned by their great looks, build quality, and (pretty good) comfort.

So torn on the 1060's, already have the x2's and I'm pretty happy. Might just wait till I can feel ok about splurging on some stax.

Back