Monoprice Mech Keyboards: Backlit - $23.99/Non-backlit - $19.99 FS

That's a really good deal, esp. for the backlit models. I bought an RGB board with Outemu Blue switches a few months ago for $30 and as someone who has always used Cherry switches, I was really pleased with the Outemus for the price.

I haven't tried Outemu Reds - not as big of a fan of linear switches - but I can vouch for the Blues.

That's a really good deal, esp. for the backlit models. I bought an RGB board with Outemu Blue switches a few months ago for $30 and as someone who has always used Cherry switches, I was really pleased with the Outemus for the price.

I haven't tried Outemu Reds - not as big of a fan of linear switches - but I can vouch for the Blues.

I have the non-backlit model with the blues and really like it a lot, so I decided to get the backlit with blues as well. I know a lot a people can't handle the noise but I am a fan of the clicky.

My wife used the backlit Outemu blue one for a while. Compared to Cherry MX blues, they're a bit stiff and squeeky. At least with our board, if you didn't hit the key square on (e.g. common occurances with keys along the left pinky) the switch wouldn't actuate. This most commonly occurred with the left Shift key. Overall a decent entry for the price (at the time $40), but among my least favorite mecha keyboards.

Looks good. Been looking for a cheap backlit blue switch keyboard to replace my standard blue cherry Roswell keyboard

Is this reconfigurable to a true ANSI or a true ISO rather than this weird hybrid?

Thanks for sharing, picked up one too. Already have another keyboard with Outemu blue switches.

I bit on this, I've been wanting a mechanical for my home office since I got one at work. Can't beat the price.

I bit on a couple for people at work. I have a Ducky here and people always comment on how they like the feel of typing when they happen to use my keyboard. I figure it would be ok to have a few on hand for people who want to give a mechanical keyboard a shot.

Great deal, if you can deal with the weird enter key. That's a deal breaker for me.

Yeah, but after using it a couple day you wouldn't even notice. I thought he meant there was some type of known bugs of some sort in the enter key lol

I've tried using ISO and hated it. Even after a few months of use, I still preferred ansi.

Yes but that's personal preference. I was just trying to figure out if he meant there was a known bug or issue in the keys... aside from the fact that the board is oriented in a layout that's not common to most Americans

Last edited:
I snagged one of the backlit red versions last time they had a big sale. I use it at work after I got a corsair mechanical keyboard for home and got so use to the mechanical keys. Other than the enter key and back slash I love it. Makes typing at work much more enjoyable. Feels pretty damn solid too. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable mechanical keyboard.

I picked up the non-backlit one with Gateron switches. Types very nicely, although I can't say if it's as good as Cherry MX or other popular switches.

Great deal, if you can deal with the weird enter key. That's a deal breaker for me.
Thanks for pointing that out. I almost bit but that enter key would have bugged the hell out of me forever.

It's kind of sad that I'm in the market for a mechanical keyboard when I'm typing on a K70 right now.

I bought two, a red and blue both backlit. My first mechanical keyboard.

Received them yesterday and using the red at home, and blue at work.

I thought the backslash might be a problem since I use it a lot (I work in IT), but took about an hour for me to get used to it. Now, I think I actually prefer it, it's closer to my pinky and easier to hit.

In surprised with the amount of lighting options. Especially with FN+F9 to F11 being custom lighting profiles.

looks like mine is trying to fall apart right out of the box. I don't know if ti's the missing screws of the side snaps that won't stay in

Attachments

• 20170720_201234.jpg
    20170720_201234.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20170720_201433.jpg
    20170720_201433.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

You know at first I was going to be quite wary of that enter key placement, mainly because as a programmer I tend to use the \ key a lot for escaping things but... now that I think about it... it's kind of out of the way in its current location. I think once I get used to this layout, I might be able to code faster. That's why I went ahead and grabbed one of the blues for 20 bucks. I'll see how I like it for my programming work. If I like it, I might get another.

What's the rollover, does anyone know? Just 2KR?

So, I got my two keyboards in a couple of days ago and have been enjoying typing on them. Definitely worth the buy. I got the blue (non-backlight) ones so it has the nice click.

They are not ISO keyboards, they are ANSI keyboards, but with the weird enter key. ISO keyboards have a couple of extra keys and a pound symbol on one of the number keys, I accidentally bought one years ago and hated it. Anyways, the enter key is not a problem, at least for me with touch typing.

Attachments

• IMG_20170726_1046310.jpg
    IMG_20170726_1046310.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 59
Got mine about a week ago and have enjoyed it this far. I do notice the squeaking noise mentioned by SPARTAN VI but only occasionally. It doesn't really bother me though but I can see how it could for some. Still a really good keyboard IMO for 24 bucks. The back-lighting options are pretty slick and I think I missed the enter key 3x the first day I used it and after that I don't notice it being in an awkward position.

Last edited:
Mine came in. Going to see if I can pickup some rubber rings for it. Pretty loud compared to a standard Dell, so I stand out in the office when typing. I see the rings on amazon for less then $10. Other then that, really nice keyboard for $20, has more light options then my G710+. My space bar was somehow knocked off in shipping. Keyboard box (not shipping box) had a pretty big slash across it. There are 2 springs under the space bar which I had to find. One came flying out of the box and onto our carpet, it was difficult to find. They are really thin which make them blend in quite well. I was able to find it though and put the space bar back together with minimal effort. If you have any squeaking, I could see a small dab of WD40 on a q-tip or something around the poles/springs taking care of that pretty easily. Mine does not squeak.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab another as a replacement to my G710+ at a huge discount. No multimedia buttons aside, I don't know how they can sell this for $20. I think it weights the same if not more then the G710 as well. Really nice find op.

If anyone is still on the fence, I would suggest that you go ahead and buy. I went back and got two blue switch ones without the back light and they are pretty awesome for $20 bucks! Now every computer I use, both at work and home have mechanical boards. These three I bought during this sell and 1 that I got from cyperpowerpc as a promotion. The backlit one did arrive with issues, but I have fixed it with a couple of well placed screws lol

On a side note: I honestly can't believe that I waited this long to move over to only using mech boards

Got mine about a week ago and have enjoyed it this far. I do notice the squeaking noise mentioned by SPARTAN VI but only occasionally. It doesn't really bother me though but I can see how it could both some. Still a really good keyboard IMO for 24 bucks. The back-lighting options are pretty slick and I think I missed the enter key 3x the first day I used it and after that I don't notice it being in an awkward position.

Mine too squeaked when I first got it but that has since gone away. Probably just needs a little wear in.

Back