Monoprice announces 2560x1600 120Hz IPS

I want the desktop background that they have in the sample pictures.

I just got an emailed ad from monoprice on this monitor. I wasn't sure if it was really IPS (but anad says it is) or if the monitor could be rotated into portrait mode.

For a big fan of 16x10 like me, this is pretty tempting.

hmmm im kind of interested. anyone buy one yet?

also is there anyway this could work with FreeSync later?

Because it doesn't mention what type of panel it is, my bet's on TN. The 6ms response time also screams TN as well.

Uh yeah, I'll pass, especially with the price being so close to a ROG Swift yet without G-Sync. Sorry but 16:10 is great for productivity but not as big of a difference from 16:9 for games as 21:9 is. That and if truly TN, any vertical greatness would instantly be shat upon by massive color shift -_-

Because it doesn't mention what type of panel it is, my bet's on TN.

Uh yeah, I'll pass, especially with the price being so close to a ROG Swift yet without G-Sync. Sorry but 16:10 is great for productivity but not as big of a difference from 16:9 for games as 21:9 is.

Can't you tell from the viewing angle if it's TN or not? Which I am not an expert so I won't take a guess. Also, if this was a TN wouldn't this be the first 2560x1600 panel that is TN and 120Hz?

Because it doesn't mention what type of panel it is, my bet's on TN. The 6ms response time also screams TN as well.

Uh yeah, I'll pass, especially with the price being so close to a ROG Swift yet without G-Sync. Sorry but 16:10 is great for productivity but not as big of a difference from 16:9 for games as 21:9 is. That and if truly TN, any vertical greatness would instantly be shat upon by massive color shift -_-

ha you're right, it doesn't actually state the panel type...WTF? why?

EDIT:
LOL i contacted customer support and they don't even know. they had to create a 'case' to get me the information at a later date.

Last edited:
ha you're right, it doesn't actually state the panel type...WTF? why?

EDIT:
LOL i contacted customer support and they don't even know. they had to create a 'case' to get me the information at a later date.

LOL

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a good monitor. But whoever thinks people will pick this over a ROG Swift for almost the same price are smoking the same shit AOC was with the fail release of their U3477PQU (so stupid)...

Now if magically this ends up being IPS, then things will be totally different :D

Viewing angles are spec'd as 178/178 so that leans toward it being an IPS. 6ms has been quoted on IPS monitors in the past so it is plausible there too...

No way I'm paying $750 for a Monoprice monitor though =/.

Viewing angles are spec'd as 178/178 so that leans toward it being an IPS. 6ms has been quoted on IPS monitors in the past so it is plausible there too...

No way I'm paying $750 for a Monoprice monitor though =/.

why? because it would be a sub-par screen encasement? plastic is plastic. if it turns out to be IPS, it is an LG display, and has a good response time....then why the hell not? i'd say that's a pretty decent price for 120hz if it really is IPS.

hmmm im kind of interested. anyone buy one yet?

also is there anyway this could work with FreeSync later?

Unlikely considering the DP on this is only 1.2 and you need the new 1.2a.

why? because it would be a sub-par screen encasement? plastic is plastic. if it turns out to be IPS, it is an LG display, and has a good response time....then why the hell not? i'd say that's a pretty decent price for 120hz if it really is IPS.

Agreed. Monoprice also has fantastic customer support, so you can rest easy knowing you'll be taken care of if you have any issues with the monitor.

Because their other monitors in the past have been mediocre. They did the knock-off Korean panel thing for more then what you'd pay for anywhere else, used the old 3011 panel which had terrible AG coating in their 30", had one monitor that controlled brightness incorrectly (Monoprice Zero-G Slim 27" IPS) and one used an edge-to-edge glass panel which is probably one of the biggest no-nos for LCDs.

Their track record with the handful of monitors they have manufactured isn't the greatest if you dig around. Plus the ROG Swift is 1440p, with G-Sync and ULMB for $50 more. It's not a 100% comparison (size/small resolution difference and IPS vs TN) but the panel in the Swift is still pretty good and if you are buying this monitor for 120 Hz you're buying it to game anyways. 120 Hz on a 6ms response time still gets you the smearing that the overclocked QNIX/X-Stars and other IPS panels deal with.

Last edited:
" fantastic customer support, " is a plus yet if you know anything about monitors Monoprice is not the place to be buying one.

Then when a few cant get (sites) what the monitor is. I just read 10bit/8bit .. hard to get this wrong when you review it unless you never had it.

For me its monoprice and $750? Pass.

Thing is, the piece of trash known as the Swift is basically a TV without a tuner (16:9). This could be the first decent LCD monitor.

Thing is, the piece of trash known as the Swift is basically a TV without a tuner (16:9). This could be the first decent LCD monitor.

What are you on? Go troll your own two-post boutique threads.

Edit: Damnit, you started this thread! :eek: I'll leave.

Last edited:
Interesting to report back. I had surround x4 Dell 30', I called monoprice today and they said it is an IPS basically since most LED are IPS.... If it were a TN panel I am fairly certain it would measure around 1ms not 6ms.

With that being said the monitor looks exactly like the Dell U3014 but more barebones.

I went to a local microcenter and watched the Swift for the first time and saw the new Acer 32"4k.

I found myself more drawn to the Acer due to the size, which makes sense since I am coming from a 30" myself. My opinion is this monitor at its price point is a little late to the game. If it were last year, or if they had made it 32" or some higher size, it would be a win win. Maximum Pc reviewed the 40" philips but then again thats a lower refresh rate. Love to hear your input!

^ keep meaning to post that I don't understand why you went for 3+1 instead of just getting one more for 5x. In for a penny, in for a pound :p

With so many affordable 4K solutions presenting themselves though, for STRICTLY GAMING I find large format displays (or even quality 4K projection, whenever it reaches sub-$5000) to be incredibly more visually stimulating than Eyefinity/Surround, especially since I hate the fish-eye effect in non-racing games. For productivity, of course multimonitor wins hands-down.

^ keep meaning to post that I don't understand why you went for 3+1 instead of just getting one more for 5x. In for a penny, in for a pound :p

With so many affordable 4K solutions presenting themselves though, for STRICTLY GAMING I find large format displays (or even quality 4K projection, whenever it reaches sub-$5000) to be incredibly more visually stimulating than Eyefinity/Surround, especially since I hate the fish-eye effect in non-racing games. For productivity, of course multimonitor wins hands-down.

Not sure if you meant me. 3+1 originally was for Surround + 1 more as an accessory. at 1600p having 5 just makes no sense. Nvidia only came out with 4 /5 surround about a month ago.

Currently though, I do not plan on going less than 30" I find myself drawn to the Acer 32" 4k and the Dell/LF 34 21:9. Man issue though, is I want 3d...

Large format wise, I would consider that Philips based on the Max PC review.

Immersion wise, I really do not want to go back surround, it was great when I had it, but now that I do not have it I like the idea of having one large monitor and this way you do not have to deal with color fluctuations etc. Being back on 1 30" as I make my next move, I find the width on one 30" to be great. Hence, why I prefer 1 large format screen and call it a day

Really embarrassing that you don't get info on whether it is TN or IPS. Why are they hiding that? They say 178 viewing angles which implies IPS but not stating it outright is suspect at best.

Also, any monitor that you're going to game on that hasn't G/F-Sync in 2015 is a pointless purchase, it's the biggest thing that have happened to gaming in a long time, a bigger deal than SSDs by a wide margin.

Really embarrassing that you don't get info on whether it is TN or IPS. Why are they hiding that? They say 178 viewing angles which implies IPS but not stating it outright is suspect at best.

Also, any monitor that you're going to game on that hasn't G/F-Sync in 2015 is a pointless purchase, it's the biggest thing that have happened to gaming in a long time, a bigger deal than SSDs by a wide margin.

Its IPS and just was put on their website and from the talks with their staff, they most likely just got them in and their "marketing" department did think too much on correct terminology.

However, with that being said there are lots of IPS panels that say LED. LED typically means IPS.

It took 8 years to surpass the mighty 30" 2560x1600. They started with 60Hz, and then they doubled it, like Jay.

G-Sync and FreeSync are pointless. Removal of motion blur is much more important than eliminating invisible tears. And you can't use adaptive syncing with backlight strobing, which makes it absolutely worthless.

I would probably have gotten this if it had supported backlight strobing. But it don't and I am not going to move from clear motion to a blurry mess.

So what's the consensus on this guy? Any one pick it up yet?

I got this monitor yesterday. It's not overclockable at all. It skips frames at anything higher than 60 Hz on all inputs and has one frame of lag at 60 Hz.

I'm working on a review, but it's not complete. You can see the frame skipping and lag results here: http://www.monitortests.com/monoprice-2560x1600-120hz-review/

I will add more information and pictures later. I'm not even sure if it's worth finishing the review considering the main selling point turned out to be false.

By the way, the OSD defaulted to Korean, if that tells you anything.

Thanks for taking the time and money to check it out Toasty. You have done a ton for the community.

Wtf, 60hz at that price?!?!

Unless there's some configuration error or firmware upgrade, this is so fail...

Toasted the Monoprice monitor.

It still might be a better choice than the 3014 if it is PWM free, free from extreme overshoot ghosting unlike the 3014/LT3053P/Crossover 30X and has a decent sRGB mode. I'd also like to know what you think of the glow and about your room lighting. I measured 121cm/4ft as the 'glow free' distance from the Z30i I tested when using 1x 2500 lumen 6500k light with the monitor set to 140cdm/2.

You could make a brief YouTube video with your photos and a voice over to ensure more people find out, or a video, and likely make some money too.

Last edited:
Wtf, 60hz at that price?!?!

Unless there's some configuration error or firmware upgrade, this is so fail...

Welcome to 30"... the best resolution / aspect ratio available, but screwed up on so many other points. Also had no price drop in the past 7 years...

It still might be a better choice than the 3014 if it is PWM free, free from extreme overshoot ghosting unlike the 3014/LT3053P/Crossover 30X and has a decent sRGB mode. I'd also like to know what you think of the glow and about your room lighting. I measured 121cm/4ft as the 'glow free' distance from the Z30i I tested when using 1x 2500 lumen 6500k light with the monitor set to 140cdm/2.

You could make a brief YouTube video with your photos and a voice over to ensure more people find out, or a video, and likely make some money too.

140 cdm^-2 is way too bright anyway for normal desktop use. But then again I'm a night owl. I use both my 3007WFP-HC and U3014 at it's lowest brightness setting, which is now around ~60 for my 3007, if I remember right from last calibration.

Back