Monoprice 50ft HDMI Cable and Optoma HD70, problems - seeking suggestions

dhahlen

[H]ard|Gawd
PC is using an 8800GS Video card with dual DVI. I have tried multiple DVI/HDMI cables, and I think it's just the overall cable length that's killing it. I was hoping to get some suggestions here.

Current setup

8800GS --> DVI to HDMI Cable (3 foot w/ferrite cores) --> HDMI Extender --> HDMI Decore Style Wall Plate --> 50ft 22AWG HDMI Cable --> Optoma HD70 projector

Products Used:

3ft HDMI/DVI Cable = http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2661&seq=1&format=2

3ft HDMI Cable = http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10243&cs_id=1024007&p_id=4023&seq=1&format=2

HDMI Extender = http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041907&p_id=2849&seq=1&format=2

HDMI Wall Plate = http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=2730&seq=1&format=2

50ft HDMI Cable = http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024002&p_id=2804&seq=1&format=2

What I've tried:

-Removed HDMI Wall plate and tried PC --> 50ft Cable --> Optoma HD70

-Tried with 3ft HDMI/DVI --> Extender --> 50ft Cable --> Optoma HD70

-Tried with 3ft HDMI/DVI --> Wall Plate --> 50ft Cable --> Extender --> 3ft HDMI --> Optoma HD70

System works fine if I plug in a shorter cable. However, people seem to use these cables without a problem. I am not sure if the cable is defective, or if the projector just doesn't like it.

I am thinking of switching to HDMI CAT5e/CAT6, I plan on running the cables and testing before I go installing it in the ceiling.

Here are a few questions I have:

-Do you think the 8800GS being DVI is going to affect the problem (it works with a shorter cable, used it with a 12 and 20ft, no problems)

-The Optoma doesn't remember the ID of the device it connects to, from what I read, it uses a psuedo hdmi port (doesn't support plug and play like a normal monitor), i think it's called EDID or something.

-Has anyone else had problems with projectors and long runs of cables, specifically the optomas?

-I have the latest Nvidia drivers, and I can't dig up an Optoma HD70 driver, although I've had it before since I did install it at one time. However, it has the last optoma driver i put on it and it works with a shorter cable.

I'd really like to get it to work but running out of ideas. I am satisfied with all the other monoprice products, and I'll just return the stuff if it doesn't work out.

Input is appreciated...

Thanks,
Darren

PC is using an 8800GS Video card with dual DVI. I have tried multiple DVI/HDMI cables, and I think it's just the overall cable length that's killing it. I was hoping to get some suggestions here.
I ran a very similar setup: 9600GT thru DVI->HDMI adapter to 50 foot Monoprice cable to Onkyo Tx-SR606 receiver to 10 foot HDMI cable to Optoma HD65. Everything worked fine out of the box.
-Removed HDMI Wall plate and tried PC --> 50ft Cable --> Optoma HD70
This is my recommendation. You might see if you can find an active device (other than the extender) that you can put on the remote end. More cables means more connections between them, though, and that means signal loss.

The Onkyo receiver I have does a fine job somehow. Perhaps the Optoma has inferior HDMI-reading circuitry? Do you have another device (a monitor, say) with an HDMI or DVI port on it that you could put on the remote end as a test?
-Tried with 3ft HDMI/DVI --> Extender --> 50ft Cable --> Optoma HD70

-Tried with 3ft HDMI/DVI --> Wall Plate --> 50ft Cable --> Extender --> 3ft HDMI --> Optoma HD70
What kinds of symptoms do you see? Does the projector sync at all?
-Do you think the 8800GS being DVI is going to affect the problem (it works with a shorter cable, used it with a 12 and 20ft, no problems)
I don't think so.
-The Optoma doesn't remember the ID of the device it connects to, from what I read, it uses a psuedo hdmi port (doesn't support plug and play like a normal monitor), i think it's called EDID or something.
EDID is a specification for letting monitors tell graphics cards what resolutions and so forth they suspect.
-I have the latest Nvidia drivers, and I can't dig up an Optoma HD70 driver, although I've had it before since I did install it at one time. However, it has the last optoma driver i put on it and it works with a shorter cable.
The Optoma shouldn't need a driver. EDID gives the Nvidia card enough data to send it the right signal.

The monitor test is something worthwhile.

I've tried hooking up my laptop, with the 50ft cable directly to the projector, no dice either. However, using a different input device is a good idea. I do not have one, but I may be able to dig one up or find an HDMI/DVI adapter to use on the other end. I could probably use the current cable, I would assume it would work either way.

In this case, I'd do this..

Laptop --> 50ft cable --> Extender --> HDMI/DVI --> Monitor input

The extender will allow me to connect to male hdmi cables together, and it shouldn't degrade the connection as it's meant to boost the signal.

Ideally, it would be best to find a monitor with an HDMI input to test this out. This way I can rule out the cables. If the device is at fault, I'll either buy a new(er) model, or warranty it.

As far as syncing, no, not with HDMI. I have a 50ft Component cable running to the wall, and then a 10ft component cable going to the digital cable box, that works fine. It seems I can run component 60+ ft, but not HDMI.

Thanks for the suggestions, I need to dig up an hdmi monitor.

Any other ideas?

Is it possible your receiver has a pre-amp for hdmi? Maybe the video card doesn't have enough power to transmit the signal 50ft-60ft without a device at the other end to pre-amp?

Is it possible your receiver has a pre-amp for hdmi? Maybe the video card doesn't have enough power to transmit the signal 50ft-60ft without a device at the other end to pre-amp?

There is no "pre-amp" for HDMI. The physical layer between DVI and HDMI is pretty much the same. The differences are subtle at best. That is how long the standard has been around.

As for component...of course it will work. It is freaking analog. It is meant to run degraded.

Now I love Monoprice products, but everyone has a dud sometime. I'm willing to bet the cable (the 50ft) is defective, which is unfortunate. Try contacting Monoprice, they shouldn't give you a problem with exchanging it.

true, but find another HDMI recieving device (monitor) and rule that out first.

Now I love Monoprice products, but everyone has a dud sometime. I'm willing to bet the cable (the 50ft) is defective, which is unfortunate. Try contacting Monoprice, they shouldn't give you a problem with exchanging it.

Yeah, that would be a bummer. Perhaps I should just swap it out for another. I'd like to test it, buddy has a 24" dell with HDMI input, I am going to try that out later this week. I'm also going to order a box of cat6 and the hdmi/cat6 adapter. Either way, I'd like to see how well it works.

You're doing it wrong. The way to use an extender is:

source -> (25ft cable) -> extender -> (25ft cable) -> display/whatever

The other option is a balun driver.

I've never tried a 50' cable, though 35' cables have worked for me.

Last edited:
I saw someone post under the 50ft hdmi cable on monoprice. They said their HDLC would not work with the 50ft, but worked fine with 35ft. I feel it's a problem with the signal not making its way to the optoma. I just picked up the HDMI over CAT6 plate and 2 cat6 cables, I am going to test them out and post friday. I've been satisfied with all the other monoprice products thus far.

Also picking up a receiver with hdmi, that may help as well.

I'm also going to order a box of cat6 and the hdmi/cat6 adapter. Either way, I'd like to see how well it works.

just for reference sake, i have the hdmi cat6 adapter with 50ft of cat6, and it works perfectly with my xbox360 at 1080p. i don't know if it works with a pc though; i purchased the wallplate to use it with my pc, but i need to buy a 4870/4890 soon so i can use the hdmi output :p

just for reference sake, i have the hdmi cat6 adapter with 50ft of cat6, and it works perfectly with my xbox360 at 1080p. i don't know if it works with a pc though; i purchased the wallplate to use it with my pc, but i need to buy a 4870/4890 soon so i can use the hdmi output :p

you're using the HD70 as well?

Fixed =P

Now, I just have tie the cable to the runners in the attic, damn electrical interference is causing the optoma hd70 to momentarily drop the hdmi signal and reacquire it.

well it's not interference, and not dirty power, tried it with a power conditioner, next i need to try a voltage regulator, if that doesn't fix it, I'm going to RMA the receiver.

Back