Monoprice 32in 4K HDR IPS Monitor

Good question. The relatively dim 250cd/m^2 brightnesss doesn't match with anything in TFT central's part database.

It's definitely cheap for a 32" 4K IPS, but you can put the label "HDR" on anything that will decode the metadata, whether or not it has the ability to display it properly. At 250cd/m^2, "HDR" is just spec sheet padding.

another good reason for AMD to release a top performing GPU, atm it's a catch 22, fingers crossed for NAVI because I don't think a Vega 64 refresh could do it for me.

For me the perhaps weirdest thing is that they even offer pixel perfect warranty... like dafuq? Makes you wonder how much profit these other manufacturers make on a $1000(+) monitor or how much profit Monoprice doesn't make on this one.

On paper it looks potentially fantastic, especially for the price. IPS, 10-bit, 4K, FreeSync, even VESA mounting etc.... but that 250 nits of brightness is worrisome. On the page others report that it does support HDR10 and outputs something visually different in HDR mode, that you don't need a huge brightness range for HDR... but I'm skeptical, especially at such a low brightness rating - even many "standard" monitors have 300/350+. The only other concern is though I like seeing FreeSync, discussion on the page suggests that its range is only from 30 to 60hz officially? Now I've not used FreeSync and am currently on an Nvidia card (which I wish would support it!), but I have to wonder if the display is overclockable and FreeSync compatible to say 75-100hz?

I have a Monoprice 1440p monitor that is a couple of years old and its high quality for its price (though showing its age a bit - larger bezels than I'd like) using the exact same A-rated LG IPS panel that Apple displays of the time were using if I recall. Sure it has some shortcomings (ie crappy stand), but I wish I recalled its brightness specs!

On paper it looks potentially fantastic, especially for the price. IPS, 10-bit, 4K, FreeSync, even VESA mounting etc.... but that 250 nits of brightness is worrisome. On the page others report that it does support HDR10 and outputs something visually different in HDR mode, that you don't need a huge brightness range for HDR... but I'm skeptical, especially at such a low brightness rating - even many "standard" monitors have 300/350+. The only other concern is though I like seeing FreeSync, discussion on the page suggests that its range is only from 30 to 60hz officially? Now I've not used FreeSync and am currently on an Nvidia card (which I wish would support it!), but I have to wonder if the display is overclockable and FreeSync compatible to say 75-100hz?

I have a Monoprice 1440p monitor that is a couple of years old and its high quality for its price (though showing its age a bit - larger bezels than I'd like) using the exact same A-rated LG IPS panel that Apple displays of the time were using if I recall. Sure it has some shortcomings (ie crappy stand), but I wish I recalled its brightness specs!

I ran 2 of the Monoprice Zero-G 1440p monitors up until .. Last week actually lol (Finally making the move to 4k) - Brightness on it was 440 cd/m². And yeah, that bezel....

The biggest thing I can't figure out on the Monoprice 4K is the 2ms response time listed in the specs. A standard 27" IPS is a 4ms response time, but this 32" has a 2ms response?

Last edited:

4K high refresh rate panels are not out yet so you are stuck at 60 Hz. It's unknown if it uses the older FreeSync 1 or the newer 2. My guess is 1 because they would advertise 2 if it did support it.

That brightness makes it pretty much unsuitable for HDR if even TVs that have double the brightness have trouble with some HDR content for example on Netflix.

Might be a good display for the price otherwise though.

There appears to be a newer version of this monitor now with a newer stand which has full adjustments including tilt, swivel, height and portrait/landscape. sadly, the newer version only have one DP and one HDMI2.0 with two HDMI 1.4 ;(

Anyone know what exact panel this is using? I know it's an Optronics, but after much searching there's no info on the specific model.

Monoprice recently opened shop in UK/EU (with a more limited selection than the US). However, they've unfortunately significantly dumbed-down the spec/details on the EU site (no spec list, no specific model numbers, no Q&A). This display looks available. Ridiculously, the description simply says the stand is "adjustable" without further info. Anyone know which Monoprice model this is?

https://www.monoprice.uk/collection...-desktop-monitor-gun-metal-with-slim-bezel-eu

Anyone know what exact panel this is using? I know it's an Optronics, but after much searching there's no info on the specific model.

Monoprice recently opened shop in UK/EU (with a more limited selection than the US). However, they've unfortunately significantly dumbed-down the spec/details on the EU site (no spec list, no specific model numbers, no Q&A). This display looks available. Ridiculously, the description simply says the stand is "adjustable" without further info. Anyone know which Monoprice model this is?

https://www.monoprice.uk/collection...-desktop-monitor-gun-metal-with-slim-bezel-eu

i can't open that link anymore. However, this is the monoprice 32in 4K that you would be looking for:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27772

It's OOS right now because they have it in stock by batches, and not continuously. I am pretty sure it will be back in stock again at some point here in US. I don't see it at all on the uk site so maybe they don't sell this model there?

The 27" version uses an LG IPS panel. I can't find any specs for the panel in the 32" version. LG makes a 31.5" IPS panel that is close in spec, but not exactly. I don't see an AUO 32" panel with a brightness of 250 nits. The only reference I can find mentioning AU Optronics and this monitor is a random Reddit comment. To know for sure somebody who has this monitor is going to have to take it apart and look.

The 27" version uses an LG IPS panel. I can't find any specs for the panel in the 32" version. LG makes a 31.5" IPS panel that is close in spec, but not exactly. I don't see an AUO 32" panel with a brightness of 250 nits. The only reference I can find mentioning AU Optronics and this monitor is a random Reddit comment. To know for sure somebody who has this monitor is going to have to take it apart and look.
I'd discovered a while back that monoprice 32" IPS panel to be the same AUO panel that's in the Acer B326HK.

I'd discovered a while back that monoprice 32" IPS panel to be the same AUO panel that's in the Acer B326HK.
This panel is used in several 32 in 4k monitors (benq, crossover also among others) with all of them having the occasional screen flash issue. I am aware of it and it happens once or twice a day, and i have my monitor for well over a 1yr now. no other issue.
Once a while it goes on sale for $299. You won't find a cheape 32 in 4K IPS anywhere else. You could spend $100 more for an LG but that will usually be open box ones

Are you sure about that? Because the specs on the M320QAN01.0 are way off those on the Monoprice monitor. For one, this panel has a QLED backlight with 350 nit brightness while the Monoprice panel has a WLED backlight with 250 nit brightness. It also lists a hard matte (3H) coating while the Monoprice product page specifies soft matte.

http://www.lcd-source.com/Product_Overview_AUO_M320QAN01.0
https://www.twscreen.com/en/lcdpanel/10393/auo/m320qan01.0/32/3840x2160-Monitor-LCD-Panel

This panel is used in several 32 in 4k monitors (benq, crossover also among others) with all of them having the occasional screen flash issue. I am aware of it and it happens once or twice a day, and i have my monitor for well over a 1yr now. no other issue.
Once a while it goes on sale for $299. You won't find a cheape 32 in 4K IPS anywhere else. You could spend $100 more for an LG but that will usually be open box ones
If those glitches are anything like the ones on my Acer Predator XB321HK (screwed up chunk of columns at a random part of the screen for a single refresh), I'd gladly pay an extra few hundred dollars more (or settle on a smaller/low resolution screen) not to swear at it daily.

When I get a 32" 4k@120+ replacement from my current turd, it's likely going to be demoted to KVM duty that will see it active for probably less than 24 hours/year just because I don't want to try and deal with the hassle of trying to sell a known glitchy device on craigslist/fleabay.

If those glitches are anything like the ones on my Acer Predator XB321HK (screwed up chunk of columns at a random part of the screen for a single refresh), I'd gladly pay an extra few hundred dollars more (or settle on a smaller/low resolution screen) not to swear at it daily.

When I get a 32" 4k@120+ replacement from my current turd, it's likely going to be demoted to KVM duty that will see it active for probably less than 24 hours/year just because I don't want to try and deal with the hassle of trying to sell a known glitchy device on craigslist/fleabay.

It sure beats $1000 32" LG panels dying from green screen rot within a year like a time bomb...we should treat all these high end monitors like bespoke cars, interesting features, but probably within 1/20th of the lifespan (and engineering quality) of a Honda Civic.

The flash is very fast like sub second. I almost want to describe as like seeing lightning on half of the screen. It only happens once or twice each day. Other than that, no other problem.

For the price i paid for it of $280 (on sale price of $290 + some other discount at that time on ebay), i think it's a bargain. I am not like using it for any mission critical stuffs. It is such a lightweight slim monitor compared to a lot of the other 32in 4k even if the bezel is not the thinnest.. also wish for more than just two 4K60hz inputs.

Back