Monoprice 30" IPS Pro Monitor

Spotted this a few days ago on Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=10235&seq=1&format=2

Looks like there's also a version with multiple inputs and what I'm assuming is a glossy glass screen based on the "Crystal Pro" branding that is the same as the 27" monitor they're selling that has a glossy screen: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=10234&seq=1&format=2

Back of the case looks very, very similar to the Crossover-branded Korean eBay monitors.

I went ahead and ordered one of the DVI-only versions with the discount mentioned here: http://www.techbargains.com/stores/6788/Monoprice-deals

That brought the total to $630 before shipping. Not bad. I'll post up my impressions when it arrives later this week.

EDIT: Monoprice has an official video up on their YouTube channel for the multi input version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbAjabEYOA

I'm assuming it's CCFL backlit since all 30 inchers are (minus the upcoming Dell U3014), but the video mentioned "LED IPS Panel" at about 40 seconds in. Weird.

Last edited:
They say it is the same as the Dell and HP 30", so how could it not be CCFL? Likewise, I would assume it is wide-gamut - the specs say 1.07 billion colors - and has aggressive AG coating. Though I just chatted with a Monoprice rep and he says it's glossy... Maybe they did actually source the same panel as the U3014? That has started shipping in other parts of the world, so the timing with these becoming available kind of makes sense I guess.

Can't wait to hear your impressions...

Will do. It won't be delivered until Thursday judging by Monoprice's shipping (shame they don't have free shipping, but at this price I guess I can't complain too much) but I'll make sure to throw up some pics and a review.

Currently I'm using an Asus PB278Q, and recently returned the HP ZR30w so I'll be able to give an educated impression as to the level of AG coating (if there is any).

They say it is the same as the Dell and HP 30", so how could it not be CCFL? Likewise, I would assume it is wide-gamut - the specs say 1.07 billion colors - and has aggressive AG coating. Though I just chatted with a Monoprice rep and he says it's glossy... Maybe they did actually source the same panel as the U3014? That has started shipping in other parts of the world, so the timing with these becoming available kind of makes sense I guess.

Can't wait to hear your impressions...

If it IS using the same panel in the U3014, that'd be amazing. Antiglare coating typically doesn't bother me too much, but the HP ZR30w was pretty thick. Really cut down on the sharpness of text that I'm used to on my Asus PB278Q. From what I've read, the U3014 is a much lighter level of coating.

Yeah, I would assume it would have to be wide-gamut too. Wish Monoprice would provide some more details here.

Please gives us a full review when you get it
Just dropped $1199.00 on Dell's U3011 and if this is the same quality for about half
I can return it and save about half
Thanks

Please gives us a full review when you get it
Just dropped $1199.00 on Dell's U3011 and if this is the same quality for about half
I can return it and save about half
Thanks

I just got a Yamakasi from Ebay. Same panels as there monoprice ones. All Korean made. I returned the U3011 I had immediately. If you can get a perfect pixel monitor, put a square trade warranty on it you'll be good to go for about $400 less.

Love my monoprice 27" I got a few days ago, only thing is the whack stand it came with

Looking forward to the review, it's a massive shame Monoprice aren't in Australia...

If it IS using the same panel in the U3014, that'd be amazing. Antiglare coating typically doesn't bother me too much, but the HP ZR30w was pretty thick. Really cut down on the sharpness of text that I'm used to on my Asus PB278Q. From what I've read, the U3014 is a much lighter level of coating.

Yeah, I would assume it would have to be wide-gamut too. Wish Monoprice would provide some more details here.

I don't see why they wouldn't be using the new 30'' LED panel by LG. It's not like Dell has an exclusive deal going on with LG for that panel. Dell just happened to be the first to design a new monitor around it.

Judging by the side profile picture it's likely not LED though, the weight of 30 pounds sort of confirms that fact. (As does the price)

So... Holy Shit! Pivot! Anyways, this looks like the cheapest 30" with DisplayPort. I may need to snag a few.

Just adding another voice to everybody looking forward to some reviews. Been waiting for a monitor like this for a long time now. Is it confirmed wide gamut? I really hope not.

Just a heads up I checked with monoprice customer service and this panel is glossy, not matte.

anyone know if its possible to VESA mount this?

(it doesn't look like it from pics?)

edit

never mind it looks like the more expensive Glossy version has screw holes in the back

WHOalEL.jpg

?

2nd edit-

Just chatted with MonoPrice

That 30 inch model is both Glossy and VESA mountable

Tempted to give the monitor a shot. I have wanted a 30 glossy monitor for a long time :)

Last edited:
went ahead and ordered the glossy one

Anyone looking use coupon code- CATALOG12

Made the price $ 736.00 total with overnight shipping :)

Glossy? WTH! There goes my interest in that one. Will have to wait for the U3014 or a discounted U3011.

Just a heads up I checked with monoprice customer service and this panel is glossy, not matte.

Huh, so strange why they'd bother branding one the "Pro" and the other the "CrystalPro" if they're both glossy. Regardless, I'll have to see whether I can live with a glossy if it does indeed turn out to be such. I live on the 13th floor (ooooh!) of an apartment building, so we get a lot of daytime light.

Previously only owned one glossy: the Samsung S27A950. Hated the giant pixels on a 27" screen (only 1080 resolution) and the glossy could get annoying at times. Returned it due to terrible screen uniformity issues as well as a stand that was permanently crooked. Like most Samsung displays I've owned (3 total), it was beautifully designed, questionably engineered, and terribly constructed.

Well according to the video, the multi-input one is definitely an LED panel. It says so 40 seconds in, and besides that the given width of less than 2" later in the video is also only something you'd see on a LED panel.

Does Monoprice have a history of giving mis-information about their products? If not, I think you can be pretty sure that it's an LED.

Well according to the video, the multi-input one is definitely an LED panel. It says so 40 seconds in, and besides that the given width of less than 2" later in the video is also only something you'd see on a LED panel.

Does Monoprice have a history of giving mis-information about their products? If not, I think you can be pretty sure that it's an LED.

Highly doubt this monitor is using the new U3014 panels. The monitors casing design and multi-inputs makes me believe Monoprice is using a rebranded Crossover 3020MDP which is based off the U3011 panel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CROSSOV...8042?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item337bfc33fa

Crossover 3020MDP reviews.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039410581
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1996064

I'm still not sure which Korean monitor Monoprice's single input 30" is based off. It looks like they took the pics from their multi-input display and copy/pasted it over, then photoshopped the multi-inputs off.

102356.jpg
102346.jpg

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Highly doubt this monitor is using the new U3014 panels. The monitors casing design and multi-inputs makes me believe Monoprice is using a rebranded Crossover 3020MDP which is based off the U3011 panel.

I'm still not sure which Korean monitor Monoprice's single input 30" is based off. It looks like they took the pics from their multi-input display and copy/pasted it over, then photoshopped the multi-inputs off.

Wow, good catch. I would agree that the price of the new panels probably hasn't dropped enough for the cheaper Korean brands to drop them in the bargain basement versions.

Regardless, I'll have to see what happens when the Monoprice version arrives later this week. Luckily, I previously owned a ZR30w so I should be able to accurately judge whether the AG coating is similar in opacity/thickness. I've never ordered a tech product with so many unknowns before.

Luckily, I previously owned a ZR30w so I should be able to accurately judge whether the AG coating is similar in opacity/thickness.

I thought we established that this is a glossy monitor, so it should be pretty different. Also, I thought you said you got overnight shipping yesterday, so it should be there today right?

Nope, I ordered and shipped via UPS Ground. As I'm on the East Coast, it was $35 just to ship it the cheapest way possible (my only beef with Monoprice is the lack of cheaper shipping options when compared to Newegg). Overnighting it was close to $150. It should arrive Thursday or Friday according to the shipping map provided by Monoprice and UPS.

I thought just the "CrystalPro" version with the multiple inputs was glossy, but just chatted with Monoprice and they confirmed that BOTH 30" monitors are indeed glossy. Huh. Not sure I'm going to love that experience considering how much ambient light my apartment has, but I've already purchased some LED strips to set up some bias lighting that I hope helps at least nighttime viewing.

Monitor arrived today-

pics-

i1nDcBLl.jpg

Picture quality is very similar to my old Dell 3011. Monoprice told me this was a Glossy screen but I can tell you it is 100% NOT GLOSSY :(

It definitely looks sharp and has much less AG than the Dell but does not have the look of an Apple iMac or Glossy Cinema display. Very close to a Dell 3011 with out the AG coating.

The bad-

783d3243-b747-4682-a6f5-d1f5368fe75d_zps833848ac.jpg

Monitor arrived with two red blotches behind the screen(only noticeable on black screens) and has a blue tint on both left and right side(only noticeable on solid white screens). Monoprice has great service so they are overnighting a replacement.

Its a pretty solid monitor for the money-tons of inputs, VESA mounting, Pivoting stand, cheap, and worth the extra $200 over a Korean monitor because of the awesome support and warranty. Now lets hope the replacement is problem free. ;)

Monitor arrived today-

pics-

Picture quality is very similar to my old Dell 3011. Monoprice told me this was a Glossy screen but I can tell you it is 100% NOT GLOSSY :(

It definitely looks sharp and has much less AG than the Dell but does not have the look of an Apple iMac or Glossy Cinema display. Very close to a Dell 3011 with out the AG coating.

The bad-

Monitor arrived with two red blotches behind the screen(only noticeable on black screens) and has a blue tint on both left and right side(only noticeable on solid white screens). Monoprice has great service so they are overnighting a replacement.

Its a pretty solid monitor for the money-tons of inputs, VESA mounting, Pivoting stand, cheap, and worth the extra $200 over a Korean monitor because of the awesome support and warranty. Now lets hope the replacement is problem free. ;)

Thanks so much for the pics! Can't wait to get mine on Thursday. I had a feeling that this was not going to be glossy despite my chat with them today. They really need to get info to their CSR's better.

Btw, how are the OSD controls? Is there color adjustment and is it any good?

Yes there is color adjustment, brightness, contrast, and red, blue, green. The buttons are in an odd spot on the back of the monitor though :confused:

I will calibrate after I receive the replacement

Martha, thanks for pics. Would you call the coating semi-glossy?

Sasquatch, sorry I was confusing you with Martha. Also, looks like I was wrong about it being glossy. Also, it seems like any light coming from anything (montior, led's) might make your face show up as a reflection if it is indeed glossy (moot point now perhaps).

...the given width of less than 2" later in the video is also only something you'd see on a LED panel. Does Monoprice have a history of giving mis-information about their products?
My zr30w is 2" at the edge. It gets thicker in the center. I don't think 2" is particularly indicative of an LED panel. We know now that "glossy" in not particularly accurate, so....
Monitor arrived today-
Any idea about LED or CCFL? Wide gamut?

Martha, thanks for pics. Would you call the coating semi-glossy?

No

I have an Apple Cinema display and a Macbook Pro, those I would consider Glossy to Semi Glossy. This display is defiantly matte(though it does lack the heavy AG of the DELL)

I don't know why Monoprice considers it glossy? Not even the bezel is glossy.

What year Cinema Display? Is it the LED or the CCFL? The LED and the 2008+ Macbook Pro's are as glossy as you can get. Pure glass gloss. No semi anything. The NEC 20WMGX2 with "Opticlear" was like the original Macbook Air gloss but no glass. If this is not heavy AG it is most likely what they refer to as Semi-Gloss. Halfway in between Glass and Heavy Dell AG. There is only a slight difference between the LG H-IPS and the Samsung PLS (I think PLS is a little bit more glossy). imo the "semi" stuff is getting pretty perfect for me. All the gloss benefits without having to De-focus in the sun or live in a darkened cave.

What year Cinema Display? Is it the LED or the CCFL? The LED and the 2008+ Macbook Pro's are as glossy as you can get. Pure glass gloss. No semi anything. The NEC 20WMGX2 with "Opticlear" was like the original Macbook Air gloss but no glass. If this is not heavy AG it is most likely what they refer to as Semi-Gloss. Halfway in between Glass and Heavy Dell AG. There is only a slight difference between the LG H-IPS and the Samsung PLS (I think PLS is a little bit more glossy). imo the "semi" stuff is getting pretty perfect for me. All the gloss benefits without having to De-focus in the sun or live in a darkened cave.

New Apple Thunderbolt display and current Macbook Pro Retnia are what I am referring to. Which are pure glass, similar to a Plasma TV. From speaking with Monoprice Tech support that was my assumption on "Glossy":confused:

At the very least the Monoprice lacks the heavy AG sand paper/screen door look of the DELL:)

I put an order in for one as well. Had two different monoprice reps tell me it was glossy. So I am a bit disappointed to hear its is matte. I have a Korean glossy 27" 1440p Crossover that I totally am in love with. I also have a Dell 2124m and the AG coating is TERRRIBLE! Hopefully this is not even close to that or they will be refunding my money and paying return shipping back.

Does the monitor with the HDMI 1.4 input work with the video card with the HDMI 1.4 output to output at 2560x1600?

I just picked up a DVI only 30" today from monoprice and I can confirm it's not glossy at all.

I have been waiting on the 27 to come back in stock so for being patient Monoprice sent an email with a coupon code for $50 off either of their 30". Feel free to use it if you can.

Dear Monoprice Customer,

Thanks for your interest in Monoprice’s new IPS Monitors. We want to let you know we have not forgotten about you, and we’re hard at work getting more of our 27” monitors in stock, and we apologize for the delay.
If you didn’t know already, we have added two new 30” monitors to our product lineup that retain the amazing 2560x1440 resolution with extra features like an adjustable stand and multiple display ports (HDMI, DVI, Component).

As a thank you for being patient, we’re offering you an exclusive $50 off our 30” IPS Monitors. Use code IPS50 at checkout to take advantage of this offer. Limit one per customer. We only have a limited supply of these new 30” monitors in stock, so act fast! Expires Wed, April 3, or while supplies last.

I am one mouse click away from pulling the trigger on the single DVI only version of this monitor. (I have a Korean 27" that is fantastic so no huge need atm).

Is anyone planning to do, or are there any existing reviews of the DVI only version?

Seems Monoprice is pretty good on their return policy...anyone know what their dead pixel policy is?

Looking forward to any user impressions of this monitor.

I'm so tempted to buy one of these. I've always wanted a 30" and the price is great. Until recently I've used my primary PC pretty much exclusively for gaming but lately I've taken on some side work and I've been spending more and more time in Visual Studio.

I currently have an ASUS VG27HE and it's hard to tell how much I'm going to miss the gaming experience if I switch. The extra resolution on this would be very much welcome for development though.

I'm definitely interested in hearing people's thoughts on these. For those that have purchased them, keep the posts coming! :)

Seems Monoprice is pretty good on their return policy...anyone know what their dead pixel policy is?

In the item description it says: "Additionally, we are so confident of the quality of these displays that we are guaranteeing these monitor will have less than 5 dead pixels. If you can count 5 dead pixels anywhere on the screen, we'll give you a new one."

The pixel policy does scare me a little. I know the pixels on a 30" are pretty tiny but it would drive me crazy knowing they were there.

I just picked up a DVI only 30" today from monoprice and I can confirm it's not glossy at all.

How is the anti glare coating? Is it very intrusive like the older Dells, or more acceptable and not compromising of image quality?

Back