Monkey Takes Selfie, PETA Says He Owns the Copyright

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Jul 15, 2017.

1. STR

STR Gawd

You joke, but that's basically the end game here. Monetize animal IP to fund conservation, effectively ban animal research and zoos, and essentially eliminate any interaction between humans and animals.

Yeah, even if the primate was a person, how can they prove it consented to PETA representing them? The whole case has one fundamental question after another, which is why it's doomed to failure.

WTF? Umm...no. This is an agenda, but not one you can place on a right-left spectrum.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

I'll recognize primates as legal persons when they have to file taxes, pay child support, and deal with all the other laws that apply to humans.

DrezKill and scojer like this.
  3. Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk 2[H]4U

How can a US court decide something that didn't even happen in the United States?!

4. lilbabycat

lilbabycat 2[H]4U

It is outright stupidity but it can be led right back to those pushing ideas without reasonable limits and liberal philosophy are where these ideas are birthed. And just like many of today's left, its a distorted or extreme version of it. Pushing "liberty and freedom" to animals as if it were a social class of people is not much different from pushing for the "rights" and special circumstances of a dozen made-up genders.

5. DukenukemX

DukenukemX [H]ardness Supreme

There's a lot more that separates us from animals. And the word animals is a human definition, to describe everything that isn't us. We have intelligence, reasoning, communication abilities, and more. Sure humans have a common ancestor with animals, but that doesn't give animals the same rights as humans. We humans are pretty good at projecting our perception of human traits onto things, including cars. So people like PETA like to personify animals to the point where they think they're humans and deserve rights.

[​IMG]

6. Killahurtz

Killahurtz Gawd

first of all let's address the question that was asked "what else can a monkey do?"

it can fling shit on you...as has been documented , but you fling shit on a monkey and what do you think PETA would do?...interesting

on a separate but related note : PETA kills over 80% of the animals that it "rescues"...nice

scojer likes this.
  7. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

If this goes through, somebody needs to charge that monkey who slurps his own urine like a water fountain with Indecency.

scojer likes this.
  8. arestavo

arestavo [H]ard|Gawd

So do primitive animals.

That's why I chose civilized as my key word. Other animals don't have that, while they do have "intelligence, reasoning, communication abilities, and more." Look up the border collie, dolphin, squid, apes and monkeys, and a plethora of other animals - you'll see that they all posses the aforementioned skills and abilities.

Some even posses more than some people thay I know! Yet those primitive beasts are not civilized. That's the true distinction.

9. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

Let's also not forget their anti-Mario ways.

What I don't get is, after:

that they didn't have a ruling on the matter?

10. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

i agree, but i think before we worry about people understanding that, we also need to understand that PETA, while conceptually not an entirely disagreeable idea, is actually full of complete idiots.

11. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

They should just shoot all the monkeys. They spread diseases.

DrezKill likes this.
  12. mrwizardno2

mrwizardno2 Limp Gawd

This is fucking retarded. How the fuck can a copyright be assigned to a primate? Am I missing something?

Killahurtz and scojer like this.
  13. Killahurtz

Killahurtz Gawd

yes...you are missing something...the leftist liberal democrat gene...good for you

14. TechLarry

TechLarry Can't find the G Spot

Well, if the Monkey ends up having rights to the selfie, then it better pay fucking taxes on any money it makes off of it.

Just sayin'....

15. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Not that i agree with this shit.. but if corporations are people my friend...

16. DarkStar_WNY

DarkStar_WNY 2[H]4U

My question on a case like this is how does PETA have any standing to supposedly sue on behalf of the animal unless the themselves own the animal in question?