Monitors Are Vulnerable To Hijacking And Spying

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Researchers have found a way to hack into monitors so they can see what is being displayed, as well as manipulate pixels so they can display different images. One billion monitors are reportedly susceptible, as most use the same processor that is vulnerable to this exploit.

…if a hacker can get you to visit a malicious website or click on a phishing link, they can then target the monitor’s embedded computer, specifically its firmware. This is the computer that controls the menu to change brightness and other simple settings on the monitor. The hacker can then put an implant there programmed to wait for further instructions. Then, the way the hacker can communicate with the implant is rather shrewd. The implant can be programmed to wait for commands sent over by a blinking pixel, which could be included in any video or a website. Essentially, that pixel is uploading code to the monitor. At that point, the hacker can mess with your monitor.

Lucky my acer gsync is safe. Since the only way to update the firmware is to send it in. There's a special port on the back to update firmware.

Let me put on my tinfoil hat. It's too bad the people that write these articles have such a lack of understanding of the physical world. They end up awestruck at things so far out of the realm of practicality.

Let me put on my tinfoil hat. It's too bad the people that write these articles have such a lack of understanding of the physical world. They end up awestruck at things so far out of the realm of practicality.
Let me know where you can find tinfoil. All I can find is aluminum foil and it doesn't work. My brain throbs from the telemetry extractions.

Well my monitor has a webcam built in so I guess that is a little more worrisome.

I like how this article doesn't even tell you which monitors or controllers are affected. Like it's either totally BS or the author is an idiot. I wonder which one it is?

Guess I should switch back to one of the 19" CRT's I have sitting in my attic.

....... How does a link from the computer connect to the monitor's firmware? I'm genuinely curious... I don't think I've ever heard of a consumer side way to touch the firmware. But I've never looked, so anyone else know?

Here, let me help you do alleviate the problem of posting so many security articles.
EVERYTHING is vulnerable to hijacking and spying (given the right conditions and or willpower to do so).

Back