MonitorLink/DVI input on Mitsubishi HDTV

jrg70

Weaksauce
I've got a Mitsubishi WS-65315 TV. It's a 65" widescreen HDTV.

The rear panel has all the S-video and RCA jacks for hooking up stuff and component inputs for my Xbox, progressive scan DVD player, and HD-PVR box from my cable company (Adelphia).
There is also an input labeled MonitorLink/DVI along with a serial port labeled MonitorLink Control RS-232C.

In the manual it states about the MonitorLink/DVI:
"This is a Mitsubishi-exclusive proprietary digital interface for the display of high quality digital video signals from Mitsubishi products such as the HD-500 HDTV Receiver/Controller. All video signals, both analog and digital are sent digitally to your Mitsubishi TV. Can also be used as a DVI (HDCP input for other compatible sources."

"Note: The DVI-HDTV input terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard. It is not intended for use with personal computers or devices outputting video signals with computer resolution."​

I have a PC with an ATI All in Wonder. It has DVI out on it. When I first saw the input on the TV I was hoping I could hook it up directly. Is there a way to do it through that DVI input on the TV? If not, how can I utilize the 1080i capability of the TV? I can use the S-video out from the AIW, but that seems like a waste when the TV is capable of so much more.

Sorry about the long post with all the quotes from the manual.

My year old 48" Mitsu Gold series works just fine, I have plugged in a Shuttle with a 9600Pro into it and my 12" PowerBook just fine with DVI. Ran them both up to 1920x1080 with no issues. If it doesn't work, you can get a component adapter from ATi or from several third part manufacturers.

Thanks for the reply.
I did get it working last night. I ran the DVI out into the DVI in on the TV. And the Composite out into one of the video inputs on the TV. I could switch between the two and see my Windows XP desktop.

The question I have now is what is the best way to set up the resolution? Through the ATI control panel I can see that I have the composite and DVI active. It shows the DVI as a flat panel display. The TV is capable of 480 and 1080 resolution, not 720. When I set the PC output to 480 the bottom and sides get cut off. When I set it to "Force 1080i" I can't see anything because the icons and any text is way too small.

What's the best way to set this up?

jrg70 said:
Thanks for the reply.
I did get it working last night. I ran the DVI out into the DVI in on the TV. And the Composite out into one of the video inputs on the TV. I could switch between the two and see my Windows XP desktop.

The question I have now is what is the best way to set up the resolution? Through the ATI control panel I can see that I have the composite and DVI active. It shows the DVI as a flat panel display. The TV is capable of 480 and 1080 resolution, not 720. When I set the PC output to 480 the bottom and sides get cut off. When I set it to "Force 1080i" I can't see anything because the icons and any text is way too small.

What's the best way to set this up?
Sorry to bump an oldish thread, but if you want some guidance on how to setup your Mits, check out these two threads over at AVS:

Mitsubishi and Powerstrip

REVISED: Custom Resolution Guide for 1080i HDTV-HTPC-POWERSTRIP-RADEON

Right now, I'm using powerstrip with Karnis's 856x480 @ 540 timings custom resolution (which tricks the TV into thinking the signal is 1080i instead of 540p) and there is little over/underscan with my 48" silver series Mits using DVI from a 9800Pro

Also, check out the Mits driver Karnis provides in that second thread (and linked in the first thread)

In the end, just tinker around with it until you get a picture you like.

Back