Monitoring IM's and web access.

swatbat

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking for a program that can capture instant messaging such as aim. I also would like to record web site visits with it. It need to be able to be locked so the users can't alter it. I plan on running this on xp machines although if it is server side it can run on anything(I have bsd boxes but linux is not a problem. Any ideas on anything free that can handle this? Thanks

That was kinda what I was thinking. I would think that the reason behind your monitoring would help in choosing a product. Are you simply looking to see who's wasting time on IM? Look for exact messages? Are you trying to watch what your kids do on your family PC? Perhaps your employees?

My little brother moved in with me after his dad was in a bad crash. He is getting into trouble and I want to know what he is doing online. His desktop is a xp machine but he also has a notebook issues by the school system that is an ibook running 10.2. He uses the desktop the most so I just want to make sure he's not getting into more trouble. It would be nice to be able to monitor any activity on his ibook too although I can't load software on it. With the trouble he is getting into in school(not studying and what not) I will prob end up pulling his internet connection but that will come later.

I would have to say there is a moral and legal issue here. He is your brother and unless you have guardianship of him you have no right to spy on his communications, it is considered wiretapping. Don't spy on him, just pull the connection if you are worried.

Let me put it to you this way, all "moral issues" aside, if its your connection, your PC, and you are his legal guardian then by all means go for it. However, if any one of those items don't apply then you could be legally help accountable. The practical solution is to just talk to him. Education is the best solution in many cases, but is often left as a last resort in lieu of more technology. As the saying goes, "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you've fed him for the rest of his life."

BobSutan said:
The practical solution is to just talk to him. Education is the best solution in many cases, but is often left as a last resort in lieu of more technology. As the saying goes, "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you've fed him for the rest of his life."

QFT.

Tried talking to him. Didn't work. Just got more news from his school saying he's doing bad still so I'm just going to pull the damn plug.

sorry to hear about your trouble. that's a a tough situation to be in.

on a related topic- is there a proxy for IM . . . something like squid?

Back