monitor wont always find an hdmi signal

dhodson66

Weaksauce
i made a new build recently: amd 5900x, ati 6800xt red devil, msi tomahawk

sometimes but not always, i cant get the monitor to see an hdmi signal. Ive tried this on two monitors and the problem persists as well as purchased a new latest edtion hdmi cable.

while the montior doesnt show anything, im pretty sure the computer is running fine in the background since i have to hard stop it and when i eventually get it to boot it tells me windows wasnt started correctly

i pretty much know within 5 seconds if the montior is going to "work". I updated my bios driver as well as ati driver. Once it starts/recognizes the montior, i never have a problem. I have run test programs to benchmark the computer and make sure its stable and it has never crashed.

any ideas what is wrong?

When does the problem occur? When you power on your computer? When it resumes from sleep?

I'm having an issue ( in Linux ) where my computer is slow to find the input after power cycling the monitor. It only happened after installing the most recent drivers; I didn't have the problem on the older nvidia drivers.

Perhaps try rolling back several iterations and see if that fixes the problem?

It happens occasionally when the computer is powered on or if I reboot (something I've been doing as I add software/drivers) to the new build. I think it may also have happened when it resumed from sleep but I'm not 100% on that. Once in windows, never a problem. Actually once you see the initial motherboard load up screen its good too.

thanks for the reply

What monitor do you have? What resolution and refresh rate are you running it at?
What is the exact cable you have (manufacturer, length, etc.)?
Does the OSD on the monitor have a "Deep Sleep" option for the HDMI outputs (usually in the setup or similar menus)?
Does the issue persist if you use DisplayPort instead?

Being that two monitors and two hdmi cables have been tried, I doubt either of those are the problem. See if you can reproduce the problem by using the motherboard hdmi port.

as an update, i used the latest and drivers and I think it disappeared. I'm not sure bc it wasn't an every time event before but it was certainly commonly enough. before I placed the card in this system, I had it in my sons system while awaiting the parts I wanted. He told me this happened in his computer occasionally as well so I'm assuming its a video card possibly driver issue. On this card It has two 8 pin connectors. The modular cosair has a single cable with two 8 pins that I'm using. Would it make any difference if i were to put a separate cable for each of the 8 pins?

as an update, i used the latest and drivers and I think it disappeared. I'm not sure bc it wasn't an every time event before but it was certainly commonly enough. before I placed the card in this system, I had it in my sons system while awaiting the parts I wanted. He told me this happened in his computer occasionally as well so I'm assuming its a video card possibly driver issue. On this card It has two 8 pin connectors. The modular cosair has a single cable with two 8 pins that I'm using. Would it make any difference if i were to put a separate cable for each of the 8 pins?
its worth a try and you should use two cable for a 6800xt or any of the high end cards. lowers the load on the wiring.

For a video card like this I would always use separate power cables. The manual that came with your video card may even explicitly say it. I know it did for my 2080 Ti and 3090.

Back