Monitor with HDMI to graphics card with DP

I am considering buying a monitor with 2 HDMI and 1 VGA port. I do not intend to use the VGA port. My question is, I only have a displayport port available in my graphics card, can I connect my monitor to it with a passive HDMI to DP adapter or cable, or do I need an active adapter to convert the signal?

For reference, my video card is an AMD 7850, the monitor is Samsung S24C750P.

Any help is appreciated, particularly how to figure out in what circumstances you need a passive or active adapter.

Oh, I forgot, I also have an available DVI port, will I need a passive or active adapter to connect it from a HDMI source?

HDMI and DVI are essentially the same signals. The only thing that would matter is if you plan to output sound over HDMI, as AMD and nVidia cards might have different pinouts for sound. There is no such thing as an active DVI to HDMI converter. If there is, it's just a scam operation to rip off the non-tech savvy.

As for DP, 99.9% of graphics cards have what is called a DP++ port. This means the port is capable of outputting either a DP or HDMI/DVI/VGA signal. A passive adapter will work just fine, as long as you don't plan on running more than 2 monitors.

As long as its a 1080p 60 Hz panel then i would go the cheapest route which is a DVI -> HDMI dongle like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816199

HDMI and DVI are compatible only when its < 165 Mhz pixel clock which pretty much means 1920x1200@60Hz or lower. For 1920x1080@120hz, 2560x1440 or 3840x2160 you will need a DP -> HDMI adapter and in that case I would recommend getting an active one as they are usually not that much more.

Back