Monitor Turns off... No signal

sleeper52

Limp Gawd
Need some help peeps.

Lately I've gotten some issues with losing my video on my monitor.
My graphics card is an AMD Radeon 6990. I'm using a DVI from the gpu to the monitor.
Sometimes (I think it's when I stream through google chrome) the monitor shuts off.
When run scan on my monitor, it says 'no signal'.
Temps are fine btw as I am on liquid cooling. Temps are usually around 35C browsing and max around 45 when gaming.
using CCC 12.6
As far as I recall, this never happened to me while I'm playing a game only when I stream or browse the net using chrome.

Even though video shuts off, I think the computer is fine as audio still works...
I am unable to bring back video unless I restart the computer.

Any ideas on the cause and more importantly the solution?

Did this start happening at random or after a driver update or something else with your system that may have changed?

Maybe try the latest 12.8 drivers or using another browser and see if it is chrome affecting it. I had some issues with chrome and flash when I had my amd cards.

Did this start happening at random or after a driver update or something else with your system that may have changed?

Maybe try the latest 12.8 drivers or using another browser and see if it is chrome affecting it. I had some issues with chrome and flash when I had my amd cards.

I had this issue before the 12.6 update as well.
I'm going to try a vBIOS update later to see if anything changes.

Mine just did this last night. PC seemed fine and everything lit up like a Christmas tree. Monitor cut off and I could cut it on and off but no signal. When I hard reset the PC it started back up like normal. I don't remember if I had a video streaming in the background as I usually do. I was surfing these forums for sure though.

Kyle or Steve might be haunting us... Or the revenge of Dan's 7970's. :)

Did you guys try disabling windows sleeping the monitor?

Haven't thought of it. I'll see, but I was using the PC at the time definitely and I have my right hand permanently moving the mouse so much that my sister slapped me once for worrying her with my cursor. :)

Hmm something just flashed across my screen again. Might be a bad video card manifesting it's self. It's been doing that lately also. Just a random flash of a horizontal line then perfect operation for 6 hours then another flash.

Haven't thought of it. I'll see, but I was using the PC at the time definitely and I have my right hand permanently moving the mouse so much that my sister slapped me once for worrying her with my cursor. :)

Hmm something just flashed across my screen again. Might be a bad video card manifesting it's self. It's been doing that lately also. Just a random flash of a horizontal line then perfect operation for 6 hours then another flash.

I've had the same thing happen with my 7850, but turning off hardware acceleration and sleeping the monitor seemed to reduce the problem, I'm aware these are two different cards but hey it might help.

Sleep is definitely off. Hardware acceleration might be on as many times as these web browsers update. I'll check that out too.

Haven't done the vBIOS update yet but now it's occurring more often than not.
Updated to 12.8 two days ago and it still occurs.
It even happens when i play games or boot now....

Could be the same thing as the Fermi Nvidia cards where Windows was setting a different refresh rate. Can't remember what you had to set it to though...something like 59.97hz (can't remember exactly).

Now it completely fails to boot.
I get a C1 LED error which meant memory failure when i looked it up.
However, i tried one RAM at a time and it still doesn't show anything on screen.
I'm thinking maybe a motherboard failure.
What u guys think?

I think I may have had similar experiences. If you unplug and plug back in the video cable, into the video card, does the signal come back? When does it happen? At start up, or just randomly while you're watching a video or playing a game?

I have found that using the other video out port on the card helps in my situation. I am not sure what causes the issue, but I think it has something to do with power saving features. For me, it primarily did this when I was switching resolutions (such as doing a full screen DOSBox) or during start up, when it appeared to not detect the monitor.

It's working now guys. I just reattached the a bunch of equipment and it seems to run fine now.
It might be my hybrid crossfire with my GTX260 to my Radeon 6990.
Either case it works fine now.

Thanks to all that gave their input!

Hi i have a radeon HD 6990 thats water cooled and it recently started doing this as well i was playing a game and all of a sudden the monitor shuts off then i turn it back on it says no signal detected from my DVI cable. I tried switching to HDMI it was even worse its shut off the monitor faster than the DVI did. does anybody have a sloution for this?

Back