Monitor mod (lots of pics)

hello again!

@sarver: the most impact on image quality makes the glare of the plexi panel (makes it look like those new laptop screens) the led's actually don't mess with the iq. i placed a cap nut on the led's that light the front panel so they don't blind you.

powerring the led's of the main psu would be possible. i don't quite now what made me use a external psu,but i think it's more hassle free.

at the moment i have some workmates beeing interested on the monitor, I could use the money for my on coming project for which i will start a worklog soon.

Very impressive work. You've inspired me to attempt my own monitor mod. Nothing as extensive as yours, though.

Cool.

You did an outstanding job with being an old tech becoming an old fart who piddles around in his shop to create something spectacular in regards to the aesthetics on how the monitor itself appears.

What you have actually done is placed plexi glass over your viewing screen... not so impressive.

You could totally win on one of those interior decorating reality shows.

Now one thing I will say for this though in terms of functionality.

It's like a sneeze guard on your monitor.

Oh how I have coughed while eating cereal spattering fiber material all over my monitor. I have sneezed a gooey glob of snot rocket on my screen.

This will certainly be an easy Windex and Wipe scenario for you now.

that lcd looks super tight i wouldnt of gone through all of the work myself but gj man it looks nice and clean plus you got that protective layer that wont get damaged on the lcd GJ

Wow monitor modding king here :) How much will you sell the monitor for? :D

wow thats nice work, and documenting.

not the greatest lcd to start with but you definitely made it look unique.

so looking through plexiglass isn't fuzzy? i'd imagine its like looking through ice a bit...

That's soo siick. I love the outline of the white. You think you'll ever get like blinking LED's around that or something?

I bet a variation of this mod would make for an awesome bathroom/shower monitor/TV. ideas?

How did you bevel/finish the edging on the faceplate? What tools do you use?

that.is.awesome.

I'll bet you're the type of person that really takes advantage of all the obscure electronic bits sold at Fry's Electronics.;)

Nice clean work.
The Metku mods site did one of these back in the beginning of 2006. They have a nice nice worklog on it on their website. ;)

TransTFT

Very cool mod. I was concerned when you put the plexiglass over the LCD...

hello again!

@sarver: the most impact on image quality makes the glare of the plexi panel (makes it look like those new laptop screens) the led's actually don't mess with the iq.

Perhaps cutting out the center portion and beveling the edges?

@ gigantoid: yes someone at work suggested cutting the center out already, maybe we mod his screen this way...

@ tsi.fi: i wrote in my first post that i saw a very similar mod on the net, which was in fact on metku

@warmace: i used a "flame torch" to bevel the edges a bit (they are stil a bit sharp) i sanded the edges with 400 grit with my orbital sander.(to make them glow) i would have preferred sanding with my delta sander but it stopped working during an car repair attempt :(

@Arcygenical: you're the first one to experience problems. but then i have a new webhost now and i'm a noob when it comes to webhosting things ;)

edit: got an email from my webhost today. in the last 2 days i used 27Gb of bandwith !! all the photos have only 7mb together...crazy

Hmm, it seems my ISP is blocking the website! It works on the neighbor's wireless... :eek:

That's awesome :D

@warmace: i used a "flame torch" to bevel the edges a bit (they are stil a bit sharp) i sanded the edges with 400 grit with my orbital sander.(to make them glow) i would have preferred sanding with my delta sander but it stopped working during an car repair attempt :(

Thanks, I have a Lexan piece that needs the treatment, but I think it will discolor under a flame, I probibly should stick with sanding.

Added your handywork to my site, cannot wait to do my first monitor Mod.
http://multimonitor.net/2007/10/beautiful-monitor-mod/

Sorry, I didn't notice the comment on the post...Must be blind or something :D I really should make my own monitor mod...:p

Wow! Well done :p Should make it touchscreen, I don't know why but that angle that its at in the picture makes it look like it should be a touchscreen !

Yea man someone added this to their "Computers" tag and tons of people got linked here.

anywhere else yo ucould host the pics? i really want to see it, and i guess i jumped on the band wagon toooo late...

Back