monitor from ceiling, operating room lamp style?

wkearney99

Limp Gawd
I'd like to hang a monitor in my workshop area. I've got bare joists overhead, so there's plenty of secure mounting possibilities. What I'd like to get is a mount that let me move it around and up out of the way. Something kind of like the sort of light you see in a dentist's office or in an operating room. One that can be moved and swiveled around but hold there (usually by spring tension). I'm looking to put a 17" or 19" LCD on it.

I would, of course, prefer not to pay an arm and a leg for it. I suppose I could use a pole mount but would rather not. The walls are block and the floor is concrete. I'd prefer not to get into drilling masonry. If only because I may want to move things around a bit over time. Something that screwed into the wood joists above (or to a flat board mounted across them) would be ideal. A plain straight pole ceiling mount isn't what I'm after, nor a table-top style clamp.

I'd be willing to do some drilling/fabricating to get the monitor mounted if there was some other sort of arm that could be used.

I love the ergotron mounts but really don't want to spend that sort of scratch for this situation.

Maybe ..................will have something that you can use?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that site has nothing like what I'd need.

I'm guessing the banning was for sign-up and spam thread activity?

It would be awesome if you could get your hands on a broken dental operating light and repurpose it... of course even a broken one might be out of your budget and I'm sure it's not an easy item to come by.

I wonder what OR lights are going for at hospital liquidations these days...

Back