Monitor each machines bandwith usage?

ChRoNo16

[H]ard|Gawd
I need an easy solution to monitor all the systems on my networks bandwith from my WAN for a month, I need to be able to show usage per system.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure Net Limiter can do something like as a free basic network monitoring program and then choose remote network location to save logs.

Think some sort of server with client application would suit this sort of monitoring, I haven't been able to find one but I wanted something similar but to be able to limit client machines from a main administrative server with the server application.

How is your network set up? When I was using Smoothwall as my router, that was a standard feature

FAN is the best way to go if you need graphs and info

How many systems?

PRTG as a free version but very limited but easy to setup out of the box

Cacti is another one.

Cacti doesn't monitor, it graphs...
PRTG same as Cacti
FAN --> What?
//Danne
'

PRTG monitors...i am using it in 2 locations i have real time info and graphs and alerts set up..same as Nagios / cacti and all the others.

they all work off SNMP / WMI , same as say Pingdom does on external checks.

So useless as his hardware doesn't do reporting that way which is why I was wondering why it was suggested in the first place. :)
ntop actually captures data, so does darkstat (and graphs)...
//Danne

So useless as his hardware doesn't do reporting that way which is why I was wondering why it was suggested in the first place. :)
ntop actually captures data, so does darkstat (and graphs)...
//Danne

You use NRPE to run the monitoring scripts on the local machines. No SNMP required. I really doubt his machines lack the ability to report the utilization of its NICs.

He didn't ask about utilization of NICs, he asked per IP or as quoted "all the systems" so I would assume that requires netflow or similar as SNMP or local monitoring scripts wont do that OOTB but I may be wrong.
//Danne

He didn't ask about utilization of NICs, he asked per IP or as quoted "all the systems" so I would assume that requires netflow or similar as SNMP or local monitoring scripts wont do that OOTB but I may be wrong.
//Danne

Had a brain error.

By "local machines" I actually meant "remote machines". FAN runs on a server, NRPE runs on all the machines you want to monitor and runs the nagios plugins locally on them, before sending the data back to the Nagios server.

Unfortunately, there is nothing OOTB about FAN or Nagios. It would take a lot of work to set up, but it works very well once you're done.

Unless you get a UTM device like Untangle which will do it all, reporting per IP for the free version, if you buy directory connect you can track people based on Active directory login.

Back