Monitor Died, LF new one (Gaming)

Corbin

Limp Gawd
So my old monitor died and I'm looking to buy a new one. Preferably for gaming.

~24"-27" (~1920x1080)
~200$ (the lower the better)
More inputs the better (probably a given?) (preferably would like a display port for my xbox, but it is not necessary).
Doesn't need speakers or special mount holes or anything, just want to be used for gaming.
I'd like to buy as soon as I can, or I can also wait if there are deals approaching.

I saw the 27" Planar was on sale at dell for 210$ and I'd be willing to jump on that, but I know that is a very big monitor and I'd rather have a 24" monitor that is of better quality if I'm sacrificing quality with the 17".

About TN vs IPS, I don't really care (and I couldn't afford an IPS at this price anyways), I just want it to look "nice". I thought my current monitor was nice Aser AL2216Wbd Black 22" so something with that type of picture quality would be fine. I'm not doing any image or video work, just gaming.

Do you want a glossy screen? If so, you should look at the HP 2511x: http://www.amazon.com/HP-2511x-25-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B004G8QO8E

What is the difference between a glossy and non glossy? I've only had that previous Acer monitor, and I believe it wasn't glossy.

@suiken_2mieu That's a bit over my price range. I'd like to keep it as close to 200$ or lower, including shipping. So the HP is running it close as well. It would have to be a very good deal to grab that one.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What is the difference between a glossy and non glossy? I've only had that previous Acer monitor, and I believe it wasn't glossy.

Glossy means the screen is shiny and allows reflections, almost like a mirror. Glossy screens tend to have higher image quality than matte screens but can also give off reflections in bad lighting.

If you like to play in the dark, then you might want to consider a glossy monitor. Otherwise, stick with matte.

I have the SA24350. Pretty sure its the same thing with no tilt. No complaints. Use it for nothing but gaming.

Also consider the VH236H: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059&Tpk=vh236h

It has extremely low input lag and a fast response time, both of which are essential for gaming.

Thank you for all of the input and suggestions. Now I see that I should stay away from the VE series of Asus products, but you've recommended teh VH236H. If I wanted to go a bit bigger, would the VH242H be the same type of monitor, only a tad bigger? I see it has a 5ms response time, compared to the 2ms (GTG) but aren't those technically the same thing?

There are no reviews for the Asus VH242H while the VH236H is the official MLG gaming monitor and gets a good review from Cnet. Go with the VH236H

5ms TN panels are usually always slower than 2ms

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/asus-vh236h/4505-3174_7-33615002.html?tag=mncol;lst;1

That looks like a great monitor. My only gripe (probably because I'm being stupid) is that it's only an inch bigger than my current display, while the resolution is higher. If I raised my price range up ~50 (including shipping) would I be able to get a bigger display with the same amount of quality? If not I would happily jump on this monitor.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Edit: I should also mention that I am not an fps gamer, so if a 5ms would for rpg games/action ones (like the witcher/assassin's creed), then I would be fine with that.

Last edited:
That looks like a great monitor. My only gripe (probably because I'm being stupid) is that it's only an inch bigger than my current display, while the resolution is higher. If I raised my price range up ~50 (including shipping) would I be able to get a bigger display with the same amount of quality? If not I would happily jump on this monitor.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I agree: The VH236H is a bit small (I have it now but am looking for a larger monitor).

Here are a few more suggestions:

Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116479&Tpk=vx2453mh-led

Asus VW246H: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

NewEgg doesn't always have the best prices, so if you shop around, you may find better deals.

Oh, if you're willing to take a bit of a risk, you can often find incredible deals on NewEgg's open box sales. These are monitors that were returned by customers for any number of reasons -- dissatisfaction, dead pixels, backlight bleed, etc. They are often marked down by 50-75%, and it's quite possible that there is nothing wrong with them. So if you keep your eyes open, you may be able to get a quality 24''-27'' for well under $200. (However, you have to check the site often and be quick: usually quantities are limited to one or two and they sell out quickly.)

I agree: The VH236H is a bit small (I have it now but am looking for a larger monitor).

Here are a few more suggestions:

Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116479&Tpk=vx2453mh-led

Asus VW246H: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

NewEgg doesn't always have the best prices, so if you shop around, you may find better deals.

Oh, if you're willing to take a bit of a risk, you can often find incredible deals on NewEgg's open box sales. These are monitors that were returned by customers for any number of reasons -- dissatisfaction, dead pixels, backlight bleed, etc. They are often marked down by 50-75%, and it's quite possible that there is nothing wrong with them. So if you keep your eyes open, you may be able to get a quality 24''-27'' for well under $200. (However, you have to check the site often and be quick: usually quantities are limited to one or two and they sell out quickly.)

Thanks a lot for the reply. I really like that Asus display but it is glossy and I tend To play in a lit to dimly lit room. If the glossy trim would not be a problem I would love to buy that one. Also how are the view sonic displays/warrantys. I have never bought anything from them

I bought the ASUS VW246H. Ive played a lot of Call of duty modern warfare 2 and im very impressed with it, There is ZERO ghosting and the colours are really nice
happy.gif
, The extra ports like HDMI are really great!

This indeed does look like a great monitor, I just have a few questions about it (restating a bit).

I play in a lit to dimly lit room, the light is never off. Will that affect the glossy panel at all? The light will usually be behind the monitor.

Also I see this monitor doesn't have LED backlighting. What is that and is it necessary?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

LED back lighting =power saving and slimmer bezels, it makes no difference in terms of image quality.

A glossy panel will show reflections with dark content if there is a light behind it. A matte panel won't show any reflections but will appear grainy and less vibrant with lights and white colors.

LED back lighting =power saving and slimmer bezels, it makes no difference in terms of image quality.

A glossy panel will show reflections with dark content if there is a light behind it. A matte panel won't show any reflections but will appear grainy and less vibrant with lights and white colors.

Thank you! I think I'll be ordering that Asus VW246H Panel, unless there is some blaring flaw no one has talked about.

Thanks for all the help. From what I read it has a 3 year warranty, which should hold me over for awhile.

Back