Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27

Finhunter

n00b
My son has just bought a new PC from Overclockers UK which included the monitor in the subject title.

Due to the logistics in his room he is having to use a 5m DP (male/male) cable.

The issue is that when this cable is connected he gets constant screen flicker which is worse during gaming (PC build is primarily for online gaming) The monitor sometimes, also shuts down with the display showing that no signal is being received. This can, sometimes be overcome by either rebooting the PC or connecting the DP cable to another socket on one of the Graphics cards.

We have now tried 5 different cables, all with the same result. 1 - from Amazon (bought as 1.2 version) & 4 - from Overclockers UK (sent after talking to their support) no guarantee that they are either 1.2 or 1.4 versions as supplied as a job lot.

If the original short Dell DP cable supplied is connected, there appears to be no issues.

System:

Monitor; Dell S2716DG 27

Graphics; 2 x Zotac GeForce GTX 980Ti AMP Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Memory; 16GB

Processor; Intel i7 6700K

Operating Sysyem; Windows 10 64-bit

Any advice/help given would be greatly appreciated.

I should have added that he has tried various resolution settings & refresh rates. All seem to still give the same resulting flicker.

Thanks, Finhunter

I don't believe a 16ft DP cable can support the amount of bandwidth you need for G-Sync. Try using the HDMI port to see if the video is stable at that length.

Hi, thank you for the reply.

We tried a long HDMI cable & it appeared to be okay.

The downside of using this setup is that he won't get the high res graphics that he wanted. And the refresh rate drops from 144 to 60.

I take it there is absolutely no workaround to be able to use the DP cable?

If G-sync is disabled what would be the impact? (Limited knowledge here).

Thanks again, Finhunter

5 meters isn't optimal at all for that amount of bandwidth being pushed over the cable. 3m or less quality cable is what you really need.

here's a wealth of info on Display Port cables A holiday reminder on quality DisplayPort cables • /r/pcmasterrace

I have the same monitor (love it) and the simple fact is with 1440p @ 144hz - it's just a crap ton of data, and signaling starts to degrade rapidly at those performance levels around 10 feet.

They made Display port boosters -- they are very expensive and as far as I know aren't designed for 1440p/144Hz use... to really enjoy that monitor you are going to need to get the PC closer to where his monitor is.

Hi, thank you for the reply.

We tried a long HDMI cable & it appeared to be okay.

The downside of using this setup is that he won't get the high res graphics that he wanted. And the refresh rate drops from 144 to 60.

I take it there is absolutely no workaround to be able to use the DP cable?

If G-sync is disabled what would be the impact? (Limited knowledge here).

Thanks again, Finhunter
Like collegeboy69us mentioned the best advice I can give you is to move the PC closer to the monitor and use the original DP cable. Another thing you can try is to get a very high quality 5m DP cable and drop the resolution of the monitor to 1920x1080/144hz and see if the video is stable.

Collegeboy69us & StryderxX

Thank you both for your replies & advice.

I'm going to try spinning the PC case 180 degrees to see if that will allow us to use a 3m DP cable. Using the original 1m cable is not an option as there is no way we can get the monstrous case he bought closer to the monitor. :(

Should we consider looking for a better quality cable or should an off-the-shelf 3m cable from Overclockers UK do (they had originally said that so far there were no known issues with their cables). The issue here may not be the quality, but the length that is being used.

Thanks again all for all your assistance.

Finhunter...... Feeling a little more knowledgeable.

Collegeboy69us & StryderxX

Thank you both for your replies & advice.

I'm going to try spinning the PC case 180 degrees to see if that will allow us to use a 3m DP cable. Using the original 1m cable is not an option as there is no way we can get the monstrous case he bought closer to the monitor. :(

Should we consider looking for a better quality cable or should an off-the-shelf 3m cable from Overclockers UK do (they had originally said that so far there were no known issues with their cables). The issue here may not be the quality, but the length that is being used.

Thanks again all for all your assistance.

Finhunter...... Feeling a little more knowledgeable.
Try this Amazon.com: DP to DP Cable, Ugreen DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable Gold Plated 1.2 Version 4K Resolution 10ft: Computers & Accessories

There's no guarantee it'll work but Amazon has a decent return policy.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the replies & advice.

I can confirm that a 3m cable is en-route as we speak.

I'll post an update when it arrives.

Thanks again guys.

Finhunter

I also have the same monitor and love it. I really hope your son gets to enjoy that monitor to its full potential!

Well, the new 3m cable arrived on Friday afternoon (sent from Overclockers)

Resolution changed to 1440p at 144htz - 'result'. No flickering, all working as it should, so far.

Thanks again all who assisted with the technical advice & links.

Finhunter.

Well, the new 3m cable arrived on Friday afternoon (sent from Overclockers)

Resolution changed to 1440p at 144htz - 'result'. No flickering, all working as it should, so far.

Thanks again all who assisted with the technical advice & links.

Finhunter.
Good to hear everything worked out.

I realize this is hard to quantify and qualify in a forum post but let me take a casual shot at this: Since this monitor is an 8 bit TN vs the usual 6 bit TNs that I've seen (right?)...realistically I understand that there are certain PQ aspects that aren't going to rival the best of IPS and VA. I get it.

Ok... now if I decide to buy this monitor to "tide me over" and I'm someone that's mostly used to IPS and VA... am I going to lose my mind here or is this potentially worth me trying anyways? I see a lot to like here at a compelling price point and I have more confidence in Dell's QA and QC vs the likes of what I've seen elsewhere.

Just thinking out loud here but feel free to chime in. Thanks.

IMO, the only really noticeable thing is the viewing angle. As long as you are head-on, you have some perspective wiggle room. Try to watch from the sides and it's not great, from the top or bottom and it's bad.

It WILL need to be calibrated out of the box. Check this thread: Dell S2716DG 144Hz 27.0" Monitor - $498.54 for details and reviews. After that, the blacks are dark, and the colors bright and rich. I am super happy with my purchase, and I work all day on a glossy Dell IPS.

I realize this is hard to quantify and qualify in a forum post but let me take a casual shot at this: Since this monitor is an 8 bit TN vs the usual 6 bit TNs that I've seen (right?)...realistically I understand that there are certain PQ aspects that aren't going to rival the best of IPS and VA. I get it.

Ok... now if I decide to buy this monitor to "tide me over" and I'm someone that's mostly used to IPS and VA... am I going to lose my mind here or is this potentially worth me trying anyways? I see a lot to like here at a compelling price point and I have more confidence in Dell's QA and QC vs the likes of what I've seen elsewhere.

Just thinking out loud here but feel free to chime in. Thanks.
the viewing angles can be annoying at times and screen uniformity is also an issue that you'll notice when following something moving on screen, often in dark scenes. these will look very close to IPS color-wise once calibrated. i don't know if it's still the case or not but i know that the S2716DG had pretty bad factory calibration around release so keep that in mind.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I decied to make a jump to 1440p as this monitor is just $489.99 on jet.com with free shipping and no tax! Will test and hopefully be satisfied as right now i have a 1080p g-sync monitor (AOC g2460pg) and it was pretty good, except that I want a higher resolution. Will have to think on how to sell it now though :D

I'm using this Cable

6 months with a S2716DG, not one issue.

For what it's worth...the 10ft Cable Matters DP cable I bought would not pass 1440p 144Hz....but an Accell 10' DP cable would. It seems there might be a bit of "cable lottery" when you get to the 3m length and past.

I just snagged one of these open box from Amazon for $439.00 shipped...hopefully I didn't make a mistake....

I got one too as a replacement for my Rog Swift PG278Q that just went bad after 3 months.

Don't downgrade the video quality using a cable that is too long. This monitor should be enjoyed in all of its glory, at full resolution and g-sync.

I've had mine for nearly six months and have not had a problem. BF4 is silky smooth and my k/d ratio has improved significantly.

Will get this baby later today and will update this post with my experience.

Updating!
The monitor arrived in a perfect condition, no blb, dead pixel or any other QC nonsense. I'm honestly happily surprised with the quality and happy I decided not to play the IPS lottery and can spend the difference between 144hz ips 1440p panel and this on eon brand new 1070 when it comes out.

Last edited:
I just got mine today.

Same report to give as Raendor. No noticable blb, could not find any dead pixels. I calibrated per the TFT Central settings and it looks great. Very sharp. Compared to my ROG Swift (which was also calibrated per TFT Central settings) that is getting RMA'd the gamma is different as TC notes in their review. For what I do (gaming, office, CAD) I prefer the gamma like this. Very sharp image.

I'm very happy with it.

I just got mine today.

Same report to give as Raendor. No noticable blb, could not find any dead pixels. I calibrated per the TFT Central settings and it looks great. Very sharp. Compared to my ROG Swift (which was also calibrated per TFT Central settings) that is getting RMA'd the gamma is different as TC notes in their review. For what I do (gaming, office, CAD) I prefer the gamma like this. Very sharp image.

I'm very happy with it.

I can only add that the panel uniformity is just amazing!

However, when the room is silent - I hear some buzzing sound from the back of the monitor.

Last edited:
Back