Monitor Banding Issue - dell se2419hr

momonone

n00b
Hi guys, wanted to ask is it normal to have colour banding like this? I have this banding problem after i do a simple calibrate on lagrom.n, if i switch back to factory setting no banding occur.. please help.
20200504_035439.jpeg

original wallpaper

Nope, just checked, no banding issues here on Dell P2314H. Try to reset it.

Nope, just checked, no banding issues here on Dell P2314H. Try to reset it.

ok, just dont get it, why there is banding issue after some simple calibration.. hopefully its not a faulty monitor..

it shouldn't be faulty, reset your monitor, delete the new ICC profile, and reset your GPU driver settings. You said it was ok before the calibration, then it should revert to that state. just look on TFTCentral for calibration settings on your monitor and try to apply those, see how it works, worked for me.

it shouldn't be faulty, reset your monitor, delete the new ICC profile, and reset your GPU driver settings. You said it was ok before the calibration, then it should revert to that state. just look on TFTCentral for calibration settings on your monitor and try to apply those, see how it works, worked for me.
unfortunately TFT dont have that model.. =( I will try to reset..

i just reset, very little colour banding, but the monitor are now too dark for me.. btw can u snap me a photo for the wallpaper viewed on your monitor? i just want to do some comparison..

Ok, sorry for the first one. Here's the photo, don't mind the BLB and glow, typical IPS shit...
TestPic.jpg

What do you mean by word "calibration" exactly?
There are two main ways you do calibration:
1. use monitor functionality like changing setting in OSD or if your monitor uses it use hardware calibration using colorimeter and specialized software
2. use GPU LUT (lock up tables) like using windows calibration, change gamma, rgb, etc. settings in GPU control panel or use colorimeter on monitor without hadware calibration (or using wrong software)

For option 1 today's monitors do not generally exhibit any banding because internal processing is at least 10-bit, especially on monitors with hardware calibration which typically have even higher precission. It is however possible monitor could produce banding after changing settings in OSD/service_menu if monitor have 8-bit internal processing as was quite often the case with older monitors.

For option 2 it works like that: windows desktop is in 8-bit (per pixel) and digital connections are usually also 8-bit and in such case any change to LUT will inevitably lead to banding... except when GPU supports dithering. Nvidia cards and Intel iGPU's do not do any dithering by default so any calibration will lead to banding on 8-bit connection. Radeons do dithering and do it pretty well so there won't be any banding in this case even on 8-bit connection.

If this is the case of Nvidia card and 8-bit connection then you might try to see if it can be changed to eg. 10-bit which would solve the banding issue. There is also registry tweak to enable dithering on Nvidia cards but I found it to not be very reliable as it get's disabled by various events such as computer going to sleep. If you use Nvidia/Intel and cannot enable 10-bit mode then your best bet is to use monitor OSD (or possibly service menu) to change RGB values and/or gamma which should not have any banding.

Back