money to your paypal if you can fix my problem, 7800gt problem

lozaning

2[H]4U
the problem first started when i was trying to play bf2.

in bf2 i can login select a server, laod the mpa select my spawn and then spawn in. i can then run around for maybe 5 seconds in a super super laggy inviroment, even though my ping is below 50. then everything freezes, i cant alt tab, or ctrl alt dlt. the sound loop keeps repeating and i cant move at all. sometimes my pc will restart after 5 minutes of being frozen, sometimes i have to restart it manually. while trying to trouble shoot i thought maybe it was bf2 just being bf2 and decided to to fire up css. loaded up a map without anyone in it, ran around for 10 mintues to give the gpu a chanche to get good and toasty, eveything i fone and dandy. i load up a map with 8 or so people in it. same thing ahppens as in bf2. i can run around in spec mode for a couple seconds and eberything is super lagy, then the game freezes.

the card is overcloked, but i know thats not the problem
have tried the 91.31 and 91.33 used driver cleaner

any ideas

osalcido said:
just a question

how do you know the overclock is not the problem?

i over clocked the card the day i got it, coming up on a year, and it had been fine up untill thsi point. that and the problem still ahppens if i turn the settings back to stock

How high is your overclock? Maybe you pushed the card too hard for too long and it has finally given out.

Anyway, you should post your system specs, plus any temps that you might have took note of. All that will help quite a bit in hopefully diagnosing your issue.

verncat05 said:
How high is your overclock? Maybe you pushed the card too hard for too long and it has finally given out.

Anyway, you should post your system specs, plus any temps that you might have took note of. All that will help quite a bit in hopefully diagnosing your issue.

a64 3200 @ 2.3 38'c load
7800 gt 550 core 1135 mem 34 idle, ~45 load
2 gigs corsair xms
gigabyte ga-k8nf9

gota go find my memtest disk

Did you just say that your core clock was 550? That is way too high. The highest I can get on my 7800GT is a 522 core and it dies after an hour.
Also run a monitor program and tell us all your temps.
It seems to me too that if you meant your core was 450, that the ram is just bad.

edit* I had a similar problem on an old PC I worked on for someone. Check the capacitors on the motherboard. My client's mobo had blown caps and when it got warm the pc would freeze and restart.

nope 550(five five zero), and thats after i turned it down some, i can run fine at 575, and i have still yet to get artafracts.

yay, maze 4 gpu block :D

ran memtest just for shits and giggles, the ram is fine. the problem only happens when i try tog ame online. i played bf2 against bots for around an hour, counter strike for like 30 minutes. tht what has me baffled. the problem only seams to come up during online play

Have you tried a windows reinstall? Sounds like some setting just got touchy, if this is *only* happening with multiplayer stuff I wouldnt be looking for a hardware problem... except maybe your NIC...

Yeah sounds like a driver conflict to me. You could always try flashing your bios and reinstalling chipset drivers.

lozaning said:
i over clocked the card the day i got it, coming up on a year, and it had been fine up untill thsi point. that and the problem still ahppens if i turn the settings back to stock
I was in the same problem with my 6800GT a while back after working perfectly for 6 months
it stopped working in games then it slowly died. Ya never know.

Cynicist said:
Yeah sounds like a driver conflict to me. You could always try flashing your bios and reinstalling chipset drivers.

dont se how it is a driver conflict if it only happens online

strange it only happens online.
the 9x.xx drivers are notoriusly unstable try going abck to the last stable driver you used.(i use 84.21)

i thought driver conflicts were pretty much a thing of the past.........

been using 91.31, or whatever the last one before they fucked em all up with the control pannel thing

How are you connected to the internet? Cheap NICs and Wireless Cards do all sorts of wierd things randomly... Even after a year or two of good, solid usage.

Arcygenical said:
How are you connected to the internet? Cheap NICs and Wireless Cards do all sorts of wierd things randomly... Even after a year or two of good, solid usage.
Yeah, I mentioned that too... dont think he responded though. OP, do you have a spare NIC lying around?

yea, yea, i got you on the nic, unfortunalty i dont have a spare nic to try. i am just now finishing my bf2 patch. maybe it was the game(but then why did css die)

i am using a trendnet wireless pci card,drivers are the latest ones out. might be able to talk abuddy of mine into giving me some of his extra cat 5 from his remodel so i can try the onbeaord nic.

nexst up the reinstall of windows, really hate forematting, so i will try the reinstall first

Big Fat Duck said:
i bet its a cpu overheating problem, when a graphics card is messed up it will artifact

Not exactly

My 6800GS just started snowing... but before it would freeze randomly kinda like what the OP is describing... a month or two later i started getting snow after a few hours of cod2

now its down to a few minutes

delete your bf2 profile from my documents and try that once, try disabling your sound card as well for shits and giggles. bf2 the only game you have problems in?

Are you getting a crash dump in your windir\minidump? If you are, try using windbg on it to see if you can find out what failing.

I had this exact problem. Windbg gave me an MCE (Machine Check Exception) problem. I decoded it to failed L2 cache. I didn't want to buy a new proc, so I flashed the BIOS. This changed something with the stupid nvraid thing, so I had to reinstall Windows, now it works perfectly. BF2 multiplayer will work for hours, used to crash after 15 minutes max.

Good luck.

doox00 said:
delete your bf2 profile from my documents and try that once, try disabling your sound card as well for shits and giggles. bf2 the only game you have problems in?
He said he had the issues with Source too.

Trendnet doenst exactly make great NICs.... Theyre passable for daily use... but I wouldnt be surprised if it did die on you and is acting odd.

lozaning said:
the problem first started when i was trying to play bf2.

in bf2 i can login select a server, laod the mpa select my spawn and then spawn in. i can then run around for maybe 5 seconds in a super super laggy inviroment, even though my ping is below 50. then everything freezes, i cant alt tab, or ctrl alt dlt. the sound loop keeps repeating and i cant move at all. sometimes my pc will restart after 5 minutes of being frozen, sometimes i have to restart it manually. while trying to trouble shoot i thought maybe it was bf2 just being bf2 and decided to to fire up css. loaded up a map without anyone in it, ran around for 10 mintues to give the gpu a chanche to get good and toasty, eveything i fone and dandy. i load up a map with 8 or so people in it. same thing ahppens as in bf2. i can run around in spec mode for a couple seconds and eberything is super lagy, then the game freezes.

the card is overcloked, but i know thats not the problem
have tried the 91.31 and 91.33 used driver cleaner

any ideas

Post or send me a DXdiag report and how much would you paypal to the person who fixes your problem? ;)

you could also try running prime95 (or dual primes for dual core cpus) to test mobo/cpu/mem stability.. that's always worked for me.. sounds memory or cpu related to me also.

You are using a wireless connection to game? Have you even bothered looking at your signal integrity using netstumbler? I can bet you will see drops in reception from time to time, especially if it is raining or you have a bunch of fat bastards wandering around your house. Anythign made of metal or water that moves in front of your wireless signal path will cause distortion of that signal.

ALso just an FYI, BF2 will crash upon entering a server if you have power managemtn enabled (i.e your hard drives spin down).

after another reinstall of both bf2 and nvidia drivers bf2 kinda owrks now, i can play for right around 30 mintues and then pc freezes and wont do anyhthing. i timed on my watch the time it took freeze one time it was 32 mintues, another time it was around 25. i dont think i tested the card that long offline so it mgiht not be just an offline problem.

off to go test an offline game for around 45 minutes and see what hapens

not sure how much this will help but:

make sure you are running in Dual channel with your ram. I had to RMA one of my sticks of Ballistix (back when i had it) and when i had just 1 GB (1 stick), i could not run BF 2 at all, it would do exacly what you are saying.

But as soon as I put the stick back in it was fine.

cooter said:
not sure how much this will help but:

make sure you are running in Dual channel with your ram. I had to RMA one of my sticks of Ballistix (back when i had it) and when i had just 1 GB (1 stick), i could not run BF 2 at all, it would do exacly what you are saying.

But as soon as I put the stick back in it was fine.
well memtest ran a ok with both my memory stick in at the same time.

im thinking it might be an overheating issue.
i played both counter strike and bf2 offline and they both did the smae thing. i think i originally thoght it was online only because i had not tested offline long enouhg, i would test for maybe 10 minutes(and that seamed like along time) and then quite and play mutlyplayer online where it would exit even faster.

bullet points
i know it not the ram
confirmed crashing in both and offline
crashes both bf2 and css, only games i have tried
general system stability is quite good most the time

next steps in trouble shooting, try using a different video card,
try a different psu(when i baought mine a while back i was very naive)

what is the name of that program that does reatime hdr rendering to stress gpu?

Its obviously a heat issue. Take the side of the case off and run a room fan into it and see if it takes longer to crash. That would be my next step.

Oh and the program is called rthdribl and you can find it here.

D4hPr0 said:
Its obviously a heat issue. Take the side of the case off and run a room fan into it and see if it takes longer to crash. That would be my next step.

Oh and the program is called rthdribl and you can find it here.

i am thinking it was heat, that was until i downlaoded pc wizard and looked at my voltages, i only have 2.5 on the 5 volt line :eek:

time to puy a new psu, or at least steal a frinds and see if the problem still exists

lozaning said:
dont se how it is a driver conflict if it only happens online

Um, you do know that your network adapter requires a driver right?

Oh well, good to know its not net related.

lozaning said:
i am thinking it was heat, that was until i downlaoded pc wizard and looked at my voltages, i only have 2.5 on the 5 volt line :eek:

time to puy a new psu, or at least steal a frinds and see if the problem still exists
Use a multimeter to check voltages.

I bet your network adapter and video card are sharing IRQs... try changing it.

My board has two network adapters built in, if I use the nVidia one, I get bad stability issues sometimes, even at stock... but with the Marvell Gigabit controller, it never skips a beat.

yep thas what i had to do with my 7800gs oc. i upgraded to the 91.xx and it started acting like a memory leak... so since it ws working fine before i upgraded, i figured i'd uninstall the drivers and reinstall the 81.xx drivers from nvidia. WORKED like a charm.

metalspider said:
strange it only happens online.
the 9x.xx drivers are notoriusly unstable try going abck to the last stable driver you used.(i use 84.21)

i thought driver conflicts were pretty much a thing of the past.........

Sounds like a PSU issue to me. I had a simular issue when I made the mistake of buying a TT 480w PSU. Voltages were unstable durning game play and would look stable when not gaming. Seemed ok for the first few weeks of having the PSU then started having studdering then later was freezing then crashing... etc. Just seemed to get worse over time.

Back