MONEX M27QSM Review: Glossy 2560x1440 PLS with 175hz PWM

NCX

Supreme [H]ardness
Typed Review

Video Review

Those who are sensitive to LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects) should not waste their time reading my review. I have nearly 30 before/after calibration comparison images to upload into an album which I will provide a link for later.

Last edited:
Fail :(

I checked for LED PWM Dimming using the testing methodology from this article at the minimum, maximum and calibrated brightness. Read about the side effects of LED PWM Dimming here. Unfortunately the Monex monitor engineers decided it was ok to let Samsung equip the PLS panel with an insultingly low 175hz LED PWM Dimming frequency. I often observed mild flickering and the low frequency made the moving UFO's from the TEST UFO Ghosting Test appear slightly jittery as well as obviously blurrier when compared to a PWM free display. Users sensitive to LED PWM Dimming will likely see obvious flicker and may also suffer from head aches and/or eyestrain.

Users who are not bothered by LED PWM Dimming may still see LED PWM Flicker since the dimming frequency is so low. Such a low frequency is insulting and unacceptable regardless of whether or not one is sensitive to it since many of the similarly priced 2560x1440 Korean monitors do not use LED PWM Dimming.

Maybe it's me, but I want to say your technical writing has improved since your earlier reviews. Enjoyed the read but my interest in this display ended there.

Last edited:
Fail :(

Maybe it's me, but I want to say your technical writing has improved since your earlier reviews. Enjoyed the read but my interest in this display ended there.

Thank you, except I just noticed another grammatical failure, thought I perfected it a few hours ago :(

i've noticed quite a few. i could proofread your articles for you if you'd like.

Well I wasn't trying to proofread it at all and I don't think I'd be good at that, but overall it just flowed pretty naturally I thought. Succinct and easy to digest. Whatever it was you didn't catch eluded me completely.

Use your cell phone to check for flickering lines which should show up like they do in this video. If you can see multiple lines in this test instead of a thick blurred line it uses PWM.

The flicker should be obvious in MS Paint, it was very obvious to me when viewing content with gray, brown and blue shades. These might suffer from PWM lottery like the Qnix QX2710's.

yea the lines show up when using my cell phone. but i never notice them when gaming or surfing the net

Back