Monero Crypto Not as Anonymous as You Might Think

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
If you have been mining Monero on your Threadripper, then using that cryptocurrency for buying hookers and blow, you might want to be aware those some of those older Monero transactions are not as private as you might think. Thanks cageymaru.

All of which means Monero may continue to leak small amounts of information that could be used to point to likely spenders—even if not providing a smoking gun. Even so, the researchers warn that small information leaks can build up over time, and can be combined with other data sources to provide that more concrete evidence. Perhaps more disturbingly for Monero users who spent coins before its privacy improvements, indelible fingerprints could lead to their front door. And that points to a more fundamental problem for cryptocurrencies offering privacy: Any security flaw discovered in the future might apply retroactively, allowing observers to dig up old skeletons buried in the currency's blockchain.

I had no idea hookers were accepting crypto :D. On a more serious note. Did you guys receive emails from any other exchanges about contacting a lawyer other than CoinBase ?

how efficient is threadripper for ROI?
a. motherboard/ram/threadripper/ nice gpu... basically a whole tower setup (lets say $2k)
b. mining monero > how long to pay off ?

my guess is a year?

how efficient is threadripper for ROI?
a. motherboard/ram/threadripper/ nice gpu... basically a whole tower setup (lets say $2k)
b. mining monero > how long to pay off ?

my guess is a year?

2? I came to 5K CAD for a 64GB TR4 system with a Quadro, pre-tax!

Nothing on modern technology anonymous, but idiots will keep chasing the chance to be anonymous anyway.

2? I came to 5K CAD for a 64GB TR4 system with a Quadro, pre-tax!

That is in funny money though (JK)!

Well I always like the thought of making a good gaming rig and paying it off over time by mining... but the tech changes so fast (cpu not being profitable) so I wasnt sure if it was worth it. Maybe wait for thread ripper v2

The decentralized blockchains are public records, digital, which once could extract information from. Like Bitcoin once a government ties a wallet address to a person, every transaction after that can be 100% tract in where it goes. Also how much is in it. Something that many governments probably dream of, having 100% tractability of everyone in their system to the Natasha amounts 10^-8 of a Bitcoin and net worth from the beginning of the Blockchain without any errors or human intervention messing with it. Like this coin was made for big governments in mind to begin with from the start - it may have been as far as we know.

Creating wallets is easy especially paper wallets, you could have thousands and only use it once - send to one then to another and then use it to buy what you are going to buy and throw away the wallet (don't use it again). It has no name on it. If you want privacy then the privacy coins with some smart wallet usage will probably go a long way until other holes are found and history is exposed. Once you start using multiple wallets no one knows if that was different individuals or the same individual and one would be tracing a whole bunch of dead wallets or and endless trail of dead wallets.

upload_2018-3-28_11-57-39.png

Lol, you're not wrong these days, sadly. It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't also traditionally charged higher prices, even accounting for the exchange rate, in the first place! :mad:

The mishandling of currency transitions is nuts in Canada... however us Americans rarely have any offerings at local shops (only at banks or exchanges).
a. bought eggs, they did a "convienence fee in US for like $12 (2 eggs and toast)... Canadian it was $4... (literally 8$ markup)
b. bought booze at a store... the lady did the currency difference in the wrong direction so instead of a 5-10% surcharge we got a 5-10% discount but since we know the owners we let the lady know lol
c. go to other stores and its a legit government register that does the currency exchange for you and possibly a small transparent fee

Back