Monday might be interesting

Morpheus256

2[H]4U
alright, this might be rumorville, but
come monday, there are going to be some big changes, (i work in retail and 3 different suppliers informed me about this today)
amd is discontinuing production of barton, the new core sempron is coming out as a new duron, there will be no barton, applebred, tbred etc, it will be 2800+ 3000+ and 3200+ with only 256K cache, in addition on monday the A64 2800+ is to drop, and the xp's are getting a price hike. they've all informed me this is to get more ppl on the a64 bandwagon.

shoot me if this is all old news about monday. but, ive been out of amd's news loop for quite some time

Its been mentioned before but its still horrible news. No more barton production and a price hike. The XP line still had more juice in it. Those AMD suits just dont like the falling price of a great chip. I guess I will be upgrading to an a64 sooner then I thought.

(pumps a fist in the air) AMD, you've won this round...I'll be back! :mad:

We've know about Sempron and the AXP price hike, but weren't sure if Sempron was Barton or Tbred core on SocketA. I must say, I'm dissapointed, but not surprised to find it's Tbred core. A64, even NewCastle, is not a small die. Anything that can be done to maintain volume with fewer waffers on the low end line will be done

Do you know the clock speeds on the new Semprons?
I assume they will retain the 200mhz bus.
so I'm thinking 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 maybe?

my suppliers never told me the clocks speeds, but after a bit of googleing... it apears that the 3100+ runs at a nice speed of 1.8ghz.... now im thinking they should call the core moron :p ill let you guys know on monday morning (in my line of business D-day, i have wayyy to much socket a stuff in stock right now)

Good information. No wonder all the A64 chips dropped in price. Even the socket 939 +3500 can be had for under $400 now! And it's only Saturday as of right now. I hope they lower the price a little bit more. :D

Maybe now I can start thinking about getting a Socket 939 setup.

Sonuva....I just bought a used OEM 3500 last week for $380. Thought I was gettin' a great deal too. :mad:

Tom

newegg and zipzoomfly already dropped their cpu prices. I wonder if they'll drop more. I'm really happy I'm waiting.

Is the sempron basically a super castred k8 (1/4th (in some cases 1/2) cache and no onboard memory controller?)

I guess it is smart for amd to start producing just a few defferent chips with it's 1 cpu fab.

edit: is the S754 sempron coming too? or just teh socket a?

makes me sick.. about 3 weeks ago i ordered a 3200+ for $280, now they're about 200. if i had waited til now i could have bought a 3500+ and 939 :mad: :mad: :mad:

ya i bought 3400 for $416 but i might sell it and buy the 3500 or 3800 if price goes down more.

Here's my beef...I'm all for a price cut, even if it doesn't benefit me because I already paid - BUT, they just freakin' introduced the parts. Why do this now? Shouldn't they have been this way from the beginning? It looks like they were just trying to soak early adopters and then adjust prices to get more people on the bandwagon. I still got a good deal on mine, but I sure do feel bad for the guys who paid $500 for the 3500 within the past month and now are looking at prices over $150 less. This is not to mention the fact they shoulda freakin' introduced at least one more speed grade lower in the first place. I'll never understand AMD's marketing strategies... :confused:

Tom

there are a lot of people waiting to get on board. Most people who really wanted an A64 purchsed it at a premuim. Now they want the guys sitting onthe sidelines tojump in. Or maybe they are trying to move the processors before teh 90nm chips come out.

Just bought a 3000+ retail for $183 at gameve.com... couldn't resist :(

Back