Monarch Computer [H]ot|Deals OEM Opteron Results

tsuehpsyde said:
Well now you're going to make me prime @ 2850 just to show you I can do it too! :D

:eek: mine just died at 4 1/2 hours so looks like I'll try 2800, good luck, I had 2900 running for 3 1/2 hrs but core 1 went, not too bad if you ask me on any account, I'm dying to rip this thing up to 3+, but I gotta do my burn ins :( , it will go by quick though :D

Well I'm dual priming right now and she's loading @ 31C, and I know the chip is loving it. :cool: I cleaned out my radiator the other day with some compressed air, and the ambient temps have dropped the past few days (snowed this morning, gotta live spring). Also, I think the AS5 is starting to burn in, so I think that can be accounted for another degree or two. I have her priming @ 2853MHz, hoping she holds out. ;) Also, it idles @ 23C, which is always nice to see...when in the BIOS, it fights to keep the fan on since the cutoff is 25C. :D

tsuehpsyde said:
Well I'm dual priming right now and she's loading @ 31C, and I know the chip is loving it. :cool: I cleaned out my radiator the other day with some compressed air, and the ambient temps have dropped the past few days (snowed this morning, gotta live spring). Also, I think the AS5 is starting to burn in, so I think that can be accounted for another degree or two. I have her priming @ 2853MHz, hoping she holds out. ;) Also, it idles @ 23C, which is always nice to see...when in the BIOS, it fights to keep the fan on since the cutoff is 25C. :D

what board are you using? The temps got pretty hot in tennessee today, and my computer sits in my bonus room where the temp is hotter than hell, so on a cold day I bet I'd stick 2900 out.

Welp, it's holding up so far. Hopefully she holds overnight into tomorrow. :cool:

2853_G.png

looks great man, what was the max that chip will do or have you not tested it really?

toddm27 said:
looks great man, what was the max that chip will do or have you not tested it really?

I had 3GHz prime stable @ 1.5v (like 1.468v displayed or something) for 11 hours, then it errored, and would only hold for 20 minutes...I blamed the higher ambient temps that I had to deal with that day. So I'm in the process of upgrading my radiator to a dual rad, and once I get that in place, I'll work for top speed. I'm aiming for 3GHz, but anything higher is butter.

tsuehpsyde said:
DFI UT nF4 SLi-DR :) Running the new 0329 beta BIOS.

DId you see any improvments with OCing stability with the new bios?

revenant said:

To be honest I havn't really tested any of the boarders to see if it's changed. I think I tested up to 2860MHz before, then like a step over that failed prime. I'll know more about that once I play with my memory, since I know the peaks I had before on that, but I generally don't like doing that, because of the high VTT required (a.k.a. high vcore, as there's no VTT adjustment :() to keep your memory controller safe while giving vdimm of 3.7-3.8v. However, it's no less stable, and has added options and apparently better memory settings, as it's sync'd more like the Expert and Venus (or so DFI claims). Ozzimark claims he's gained a little extra speed on his Xtreems (like, 1MHz lol, but still, extra headroom) so my guess is so far A+, but no head to head comparisons yet.

revenant said:
a smidge. if data drive strength level 3 isn't enough for your ram/memory controller, there's a level 4 now, which is 0% reduction (level 3 is 15% iirc, 2 is 30% and 1 is 50% reduction), so some sticks may see benefit from that, and it might help in 4 stick opteration (roli, reading this? :D)

Just received the Opteron 165. Ordered on 3/31. The stepping is CCB1E 0608MPMW. Booted up at 300fsbx9 @ stock 1.35v. Have been Priming it @ 312fsb x 9 = 2.8ghz at stock 1.35v (1.31v actual) for over 2 hours. I have a Zalman 7000A. The Prime temp is around 55c, higher than that of my old Opty 144. I may have to re-seat it later.

Tried to prime it @ 315fsbx9 at stock and core 0 failed in 10 minutes.

After 2 Opty 165 and 3 Opty 144, it is about time I get a decent (may be even great) OC'er.

Strykar said:
Forgot to write it down before putting it in, sorry. :(

CPU-Z will tell you, won't it?

Nope, steppings can only be found on the top of the CPU itself.

Opty 165
OSA165DAA6CD
CCB1E 0608MPMW
HSF: TT Big Typhoon w/ 120MM Panaflo
Mem: PDP XBLK TCCDs

sp04-3006.jpg

Is the Zalman 7000B sufficient to cool at an acceptable temperature for overclocking to 2.8? If not, does anybody here has this combo and an QPack... what is the highest that you can go with acceptable temp?

ordered one some time last week and got mine from monarch today 0608MPMW. although i have nothing to put it into to test its good to know that i got a good chip. get yours before they run out :)

time for me to read up on the oc'ing guide.

I don't have Qpack. I have been using Zalman 7000A on a Opty 165 in a Antec Sonata (DFI RS482). At stock 1.35v and 2.8ghz, it idles at 40-41c and Prime at 58c. One good benefit is, because the "gap" in the heatsink lines up the passive Northbridge, it keeps it very cool (32c/36c loaded). When I use the AMD heatpipe HS (performs above the same), the Northbridge temp goes up to 36c/44c.

Zap [PCGO] said:
Is the Zalman 7000B sufficient to cool at an acceptable temperature for overclocking to 2.8? If not, does anybody here has this combo and an QPack... what is the highest that you can go with acceptable temp?

I ordered another one yesterday and it shipped out same-day 2-Day air, so it'll be here Monday sadly, but I'm really hoping for the good stepping again. :)

Gee, buy a few more and you could have paid for an FX-60. We all know that's the best computing chip ever designed by human beings :p

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Gee, buy a few more and you could have paid for an FX-60. We all know that's the best computing chip ever designed by human beings :p

Well if I get another one, and I sell one of them for almost double what I paid, well, that's a bit smarter than the diminishing value of the FX series. ;) Hell, it'll only make my 165 I have now only cost me like $100 or something. Hoorah!

yeah the sad thing is the coupon codes just stopped working, I ordered another this morning and was about to order one for a buddy, now it won't work :confused:

toddm27 said:
yeah the sad thing is the coupon codes just stopped working, I ordered another this morning and was about to order one for a buddy, now it won't work :confused:

I had the same problem and I think many experienced it. But, the problem was that it is only one per household, email, etc. I was able to use the 146 coupon when others said it was expired. The terms of the deal was on a .pdf popup under the 'Redeem Coupon' button.

young-blood said:
I had the same problem and I think many experienced it. But, the problem was that it is only one per household, email, etc. I was able to use the 146 coupon when others said it was expired. The terms of the deal was on a .pdf popup under the 'Redeem Coupon' button.
that shouldn't be it as I ordered a second processor yesterday morning and was gonna order a 3rd yesterday afternoon. its just one coupon at once

toddm27 said:

There might be a limit of using the coupon once, as I used the older $60 coupon last time, and this one was $67.

Well it looks like I skimmed past the limit on that one. I'll let you guys know what I end up with. Hopefully they're still shipping good ones, so those of you who want 'em can still snag 'em before they're all gone.

jcll2002 said:
no, i tried to enter it and it didnt work. I havent bought one yet at all.

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to participate.. hopefully Monarch will have some new coupon codes by sometime next week. The steppings seem to be getting better as the 06's roll out, imo, so I wouldn't think anyone missed their last chance to get a killer overclocker. Notice there has been an abundance of CCB1E's popping up. I have a couple coming in soon so I will keep you guys up to date on the steppings.

Just arrived:

CCB1E 0608MPMW

Score! :D

I can't wait to play with it...I'll post a picture of the new beast once I get some snapshots...the OEM container is a bit odd on this guy.

tsuehpsyde said:
Just arrived:

CCB1E 0608MPMW

Score! :D

I can't wait to play with it...I'll post a picture of the new beast once I get some snapshots...the OEM container is a bit odd on this guy.

your one lucky sob, I hope I get the same luck as you as my 2nd one should ship out today

hey guys i am overclocking my opteron 165 0608 stepping with a WC setup and one of the cores keeping failing prime 95. I'm running at 1.32 V and temps are around 46-50.
The memory and MB are not the problem. It fails after 3 hours or so. It is always the same core. Is it possible for one core to be really bad while the other to be really good?

Any suggestions?

your wc may be bad because how in the world are you at 1.32v and at that temp?

what speed are you at

@Todd
Thanks. :) When I looked throught the plastic and saw CCB1E, I smiled with glee. I'm looking foward to putting my new radiator into my loop, then playing with this new beast. Then I have to figure out which one I'm going to sell. :cool: Best of luck on your next order, if you're trying to get one of these you better order ASAP, because the supply has to run out sooner or later.

@Cam
46-50C is pretty high for water. It took a good 1.5v to get temps that high when I still had my IHS on mine. Temps are probably killing you...either your mount is bad, or you're using AC or something. :p Either way, get those temps down and you should see some gains.

tsuehpsyde said:
@Todd
Thanks. :) When I looked throught the plastic and saw CCB1E, I smiled with glee. I'm looking foward to putting my new radiator into my loop, then playing with this new beast. Then I have to figure out which one I'm going to sell. :cool: Best of luck on your next order, if you're trying to get one of these you better order ASAP, because the supply has to run out sooner or later.

@Cam
46-50C is pretty high for water. It took a good 1.5v to get temps that high when I still had my IHS on mine. Temps are probably killing you...either your mount is bad, or you're using AC or something. :p Either way, get those temps down and you should see some gains.
yeah I placed a 2nd order on friday morning and went to order a 3rd friday afternoon but the code died, as the resale value on these things are through the roof on ebay is over 400 bucks :p , gotta love ebay. I had mine up for sale for less than 24 hours and it was bid up to 440 plus shipping, but I ended the auction on the thought of getting a crappy second chip.

My order hasn't even shipped yet. :( I ordered like within 10 minutes of you ordering, tsueh. I guess I'll just email customer support.

Back