Monarch Computer [H]ot|Deals OEM Opteron Results

tsuehpsyde

Supreme [H]ardness
The Opteron 165 Saga!
DSC00849.sized.jpg

Welp, I figured I'd chime in with my results, since a good number of people were asking, and apparently discussion about it is forbidden within' the thread itself. :rolleyes: Anywho, here's my story so far with my recent OEM Opteron 165 from Monarch's deal. I ask you to all post your results too, as the 060x steppings seem to be keeping up with the 0550's!

I plug in mister 0608, and boot up with stock voltage (auto's to 1.35v). Let Windows notice both cores, and reboot. Open up clockgen and 2 Prime 95 instances, and start at it. Dual loads at 38C-39C, which is warm, but again I'm used to a lidless single core. Anywho, I take fairly stiff jumps in clockspeed, as I'm used to this system doing it without problem...1.8, 1.9, 2, 2.1, 2.2 all priming fine. So, I go a little slower now...2.25, 2.3, 2.35GHz...now I'm like yeah, this thing is chuggin' along nicely. I set 2.4, BSOD. :mad: I almost cried, figuring I have a complete dud. I reboot and set 1.4v, and got up to 2560MHz before I had to leave to run some errands. I got home and like it was dual priming for like an hour and a half, and it diddn't error. Also, I remounted the block four times as temps were pretty high, and I thought it was a bad mount. Turns out my first mount was the best of the lot. :p Figures. Burn in from this morning seems to have helped a little. Anyway, by the end of the night, I had gotten it up to 2.84GHz with 1.4v, prime stable for 30 minutes or so before I stopped prime! I set it to 2.8GHz 1.4v and setup folding, and went to sleep.

Woke up this morning and was itching to try out 1.35v again (stock), so I did...started @ 2.6GHz, booted into Windows fine...and I've been sliding clockgen up, and I'm Priming 2765MHz stock vcore, and it's been priming @ that speed for about 10 minutes, plus the time it took to write this up. ;) I'll post up screenshots as I get them.

damn thats really nice! i want one now!
and its only a 1 week anniversary with my 146!

MaStA819 said:
Awesome! I'll give mine a shot this week sometime.

Jared

Stepping? And when did you get yours in?

Also, it appears 2.77GHz might be my max dual-prime stable with stock vcore. Testing it now to get a screenshot for everyone hopefully later tonight. Then I can start adding a little voltage here and there, and finding the max along the way...I'm pretty sure heat is keeping it back though, because even with water it's loading pretty high. This little guy is a furnace, that's for sure.

very nice overclock. I'm jealous. Mine is sitting at 2.5 with 1.4 vcore.

time to bump up that voltage just to see what she can really do!

let us know.

-Matt

tsuehpsyde said:

Also, it appears 2.77GHz might be my max dual-prime stable with stock vcore. Testing it now to get a screenshot for everyone hopefully later tonight. Then I can start adding a little voltage here and there, and finding the max along the way...I'm pretty sure heat is keeping it back though, because even with water it's loading pretty high. This little guy is a furnace, that's for sure.

Same as yours. I did receive a 0606, but thing ran really hot and even failed prime at stock settings at times after 8-9 seconds. Those issues are resolved on the new one I just got (which is the same stepping as yours).

Jared

I have an 0606 myself, and haven't been able to get it past 2.1 so far. . . really disappointing :(

I can't get the FSB past 234. Memory tests out fine, and I've upped the volts to the processor, but it still crashes. I'm probably overlooking something stupid, but I'll dick around with it some more tonight. Hopefully I'll get it cooler and faster. . .

Oooska said:
I have an 0606 myself, and haven't been able to get it past 2.1 so far. . . really disappointing :(

I can't get the FSB past 234. Memory tests out fine, and I've upped the volts to the processor, but it still crashes. I'm probably overlooking something stupid, but I'll dick around with it some more tonight. Hopefully I'll get it cooler and faster. . .

run a divider . and what board u got?

also u changing ur HTT multiplier to either 3 or 4?

im sure ur low overclock is user error.

Oooska said:

SATA drives in #3 and #4? I'll post the SS when I can, but priming takes time. ;)

I wonder why it took us so long to discover the opty's. My 165 is at 2.25 and will be going for 2.5ghz after dinner

tvdang7 said:
run a divider . and what board u got?

also u changing ur HTT multiplier to either 3 or 4?

im sure ur low overclock is user error.

EPoX 9NPA+Ultra, HTT is set to 4. Memory errors out in Memtest at around 247 or so. Below that it's fine (I plan to pick up some better RAM if I can get a better OC on the processor).
My only SATA drive is in the SATA3 slot.

*Edit: Ignore me. I won't elaborate, I feel stupid enough already :p

Since time right now is an issue I just bumped mine to 250x9 = 2.25ghz for now. I wanted it to run 1/1 with my ram for right now. I will try more when I get some extra time. This is on stock voltage of course.

Jared

I just wanted to thank you guys. . . she's running at 2.45 right now. Can't say for sure if she's stable, but at least its booting (and this is on stock voltages and whatnot). Starting to reach 45 or so under load, though airflow in the case is pretty poor at the moment.

tsuehpsyde said:

Where the hell is the update, you silly silly man..

Nice overclock. My opty 165 is coming in on friday...hopefully it overclocks good... :D

Dual priming @ 2.75GHz with stock voltage, one of the cores died @ 7 hours 37 minutes. :( Other one had 16 hours+ still going. I swear, the heat from this thing has to be the issue...either way, re-testing @ 2745MHz, and once I have a good 12+ hours on both cores I'll post. Then I get to work towards the max OC with any voltage. :p

Lucky you. It seems that my overclock is going downhill. If you want another 165 to play with, let me know.

Fine, I guess we will have to be patient. but at any rate, it's looking to be a nice overclock.

drizzt81 said:
Lucky you. It seems that my overclock is going downhill. If you want another 165 to play with, let me know.

If you mean "play with" as in "free", then absolutely. :D

receiving my 165 tommorow, monarch shipped same day
ill post results with it along wit a ninja tommorow afternoon
cant wait, hope i get a 0606

tsuehpsyde said:
Dual priming @ 2.75GHz with stock voltage, one of the cores died @ 7 hours 37 minutes. :( Other one had 16 hours+ still going. I swear, the heat from this thing has to be the issue...either way, re-testing @ 2745MHz, and once I have a good 12+ hours on both cores I'll post. Then I get to work towards the max OC with any voltage. :p

What are your idle and load temps with your WC setup? I am going to get a scythe ninja today. I won't be able to install till probably this weekend due to time though.

Jared

Ambient dependant, but idle @ stock vcore and 2745MHz is about 28C, and load is about 41C. :(

Oooska said:

Sounds like your MoBo's at fault there.

tsuehpsyde said:
Ambient dependant, but idle @ stock vcore and 2745MHz is about 28C, and load is about 41C. :(

Ha! I bet you've never used a Prescott. Try 60C at idle. :p

So I take it this is all with the stock heatsink? I'm looking into getting an Opty 165 and was wondering if all the OCs listed in the OC thread on air were with the stock heatsink or a fancy one. Personally I'm not looking to go crazy with OCing it, but I'd like to get at least 2.5 Ghz.

No, this is on water, boys and girls. An Eheim 1250 pushing a 10/90 mix of Zerex Racing Super Coolant and distrilled water through a single 120mm dual-pass radiator with shroud into a Swiftech 6002 block with 1/2" tubing. Hense the distaste with temps.

priming.png

Testing screenshot for those wanting to see one. :) Load temps are even higher, it's an oven in my apartment today. :rolleyes: Stupid weather.

Yay! My 165 came in today, EXACT same stepping as yours (I ordered from monarch too)

Hopefully I'll get results like yours too!

tsuehpsyde said:
No, this is on water, boys and girls. An Eheim 1250 pushing a 10/90 mix of Zerex Racing Super Coolant and distrilled water through a single 120mm dual-pass radiator with shroud into a Swiftech 6002 block with 1/2" tubing. Hense the distaste with temps.

Yeah, that is a bit warm with water. Why not try popping the IHF off?

Obi_Kwiet said:
Yeah, that is a bit warm with water. Why not try popping the IHF off?

After that suicide run, I'm having a hard time not doing it. It's more of a "I'll cry if I break off a cap on the top since it has them so close to the edges" sort of thing.

I am going to get my Scythe Ninja today. Yay. I will have it installed by or on the weekend. I can't wait. :) I'm not looking forward to removing the motherboard though...but oh well. :)

Jared

I got the ninja, but haven't put it on yet.

An update for you all. I am running mine on the stock AMD heatsink with four heatpipes at 2.5ghz stock voltage. Dual prime right now in work and its at six minutes so far. Not too bad....

Well, looks like I'm getting the EXACT same results as the op...

Our steppings are the same, afterall....

Im at 1.35, 305x9. Under load I'm seeing 38 to 40c, no load around 32c.

I'm using a ninja with a 120mm Silverstone 105CFM fan on it

regardless, this stepping and 165 opty is amazing. I've been priming both cores for around 4 hours, no errors. 2.75ghz

I wonder what she will pull off at 1.4.....

wow, very nice
eek.gif
... I need to make a decision here quickly.. new computer or new motorcycle!?!
confused.gif
confused.gif

So check this out, I know prime isnt running long enough to prove that its stable, but I have high hopes...tomorrow I find out. Its cooled with a Ninja HSF, the fan being a 120MM silverstone, it sounds like a small turbine engine - I'm fairly sure thats the only reason I'm able to maintain temps on air.

CCB1E 0608MPMW

my.php

Back