Mom Hacked School To Change Kid's Grades by 1%

HardOCP News

[H] News
As hard as it may be to believe, hacking into the school computer wasn't the dumbest part of this story. This lady hacked the school computer to change her kid's grade by 1%. Nice work hacker-psycho-overbearing-control-freak mom, you are setting a fine example.

Court records indicated her daughter went from a failing grade to a "medical exception" while her son's grade of 98 percent climbed a point to 99 percent.

Hacked... she knew the superintendent's password. What.

And I'm guessing the main purpose was her failing daughter, not her 98% -> 99% son.

it would be cool if she did it Ferris Bueller style

but com'n 1%, talk about being a desperate mom

Is it just me, or does it seem like that article could be written in 2 sentences?

As it turns out it's not really my desk that is making me dumber, it's reading [H] news like this. :(

As a teacher, this doesn't surprise me. So many of my student's parents have rotors permanently attached to their heads...I've had conferences with parents upset that I gave their kid an A- or paid more attention to the struggling kids over their A student. I'm sure if our system could be hacked easily, those parents would do it.

So her daughter had failing grades, and she figured, well wtf, while I'm here, Johny needs a bump.

Of course, this wasn't a hack. It was an unauthorized login with known credentials. She did nothing but login.

"Unfortunately she found her way around security protocol through unauthorized access to my information."

Translation: She read the post-it note on my monitor with my password written on it.

Not to mention Kevin Mitnick and other live hackers.

Read Mitnick's books some time, the man's specialty was social engineering not hacking. Using a password gleaned by any illegitimate means would be right up that guys alley.

On topic:

In school, on the rare occasion the teacher would allow us to give ourselves the grade "you think you deserve".. I was always the putz that took it to heart and gave myself the grade I felt I earned, A or not.

That said, I think it was pretty clever making subtle changes she hoped would be overlooked.

I hacked into my school's reading testing program by guessing the password 'admin'. Yes, I HACKED by guessing it.

News article about me, nao plz?

I swear, sometimes I think we really are computer constructs....I can't believe people don't have more important things to do in their lives than this kind of bullshit. :rolleyes:

Read Mitnick's books some time, the man's specialty was social engineering not hacking. Using a password gleaned by any illegitimate means would be right up that guys alley.

On topic:

In school, on the rare occasion the teacher would allow us to give ourselves the grade "you think you deserve".. I was always the putz that took it to heart and gave myself the grade I felt I earned, A or not.

That said, I think it was pretty clever making subtle changes she hoped would be overlooked.

That wasn't subtle, subtle would be lowering all the other students grades 1% :D

I think the teachers should give the 1%, be reasonable, never failed a kid if only 1% if missing. Help the kid achieve it. Yes mom shouldn't have done it herself, she should have met with the teacher instead.

Hacked... she knew the superintendent's password. What.

And I'm guessing the main purpose was her failing daughter, not her 98% -> 99% son.

Cool, I didn't know logging into a system was considered hacking. That reminds me, I got to go hack my Gmail account to see if I got a reply to an email I sent yesterday. Oh, and then I have to hack my bank account to check my account balance.

Hmm, seems like a lot of people didn't really read the article. The 1% was a 98% to a 99%. 98% is not failing. This was also her son.

Her daughter was actually failing. This was likely the main purpose of what she did. She changed her daughter from failing to medical exemption. The point wasn't really the 1%. She probably changed her son's grade because "what the heck, I'm in here anyway".

Between this and the girl gamer article I dont know wtf you editors are even posting anymore.

Why on earth are the grades available on a system connected to the Internet and not a local intranet. Better yet why the fuck don't teachers use gradeBOOKS anymore, did the teachers fail math so they need a computer to do averages???

Computers have their place, this is not one of them.

Back