Mom died, moving back in with dad, no DSL/Cable

kent

2[H]4U
First off, no need for condolences even though I'll get them so thanks in advance.

My wife and I are moving in with my dad for about a year. My mom just died at age 53 (see: www.kenton.org for obit)

He currently has Wildblue but as many of you know you can only download 17GB of data per month before they reduce your speeds to near 56k LOL

What are other options I could explore? I'd prefer an 'unlimited' data transfer like I get with U-Verse but U-Verse/DSL/Cable are not available there.

Is there something else I'm missing? Some magical internet provider? I can spend up to about $100 a month as if we drop Wildblue dad will save about $50 a month and with my $50 we could afford about $100.

TIA,

Kenton

Sorry for your loss, just can't igonore it.

What about 4G, there should be something in a town the size of Little Rock.

We're actually about 15 miles outside of Little Rock but due to zoning we have a Little Rock mailing address.

And thank you :)

You still should have some wireless options available even if only 3G. There's a lot of little towns and more rural areas that that have very good 3G these days. But if you are worried about a 17GB cap then 3G probably isn't going to give you the speed you want.

I do a lot of bittorrenting for....storage of....Linux ISOs.

I typically use 100-150GB a month so I'm "that guy" but I'd much rather live with dad right now than have an 18Mbps U-verse connection.

We have plenty of wireless options (Cricket, Local company, Sprint) but they all carry a 5GB cap and that's SERIOUSLY pushing it, especially for a networked home.

Any other ideas?

Back