Mojave to Revive Vista's Image?

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Microsoft is tired of being the butt of every anti-Vista Apple ad and is finally doing something about it. Microsoft has rounded up Windows XP users that had negative impressions of Vista and showed them “Mojave.” After 90% of the focus group said they liked the new OS, they were told it was actually Windows Vista. A video of the event will be distributed sometime later this month. Not really groundbreaking but it is a start.

Spurred by an e-mail from someone deep in the marketing ranks, Microsoft last week traveled to San Francisco, rounding up Windows XP users who had negative impressions of Vista. The subjects were put on video, asked about their Vista impressions, and then shown a "new" operating system, code-named Mojave. More than 90 percent gave positive feedback on what they saw. Then they were told that "Mojave" was actually Windows Vista.

I read that this morning. It made me lol, Vista bashers thinking how cool Vista is when they think it is something else.

I think its quite interesting, but i know for a fact that i definitely didnt like Vista before Sp1 and everything. Now its alot better and i definitely dont mind using it over XP. I have both and i think that Vista has alot of little features that make it more enjoyable than XP.

Haha, lemming mentality at its best. I know Vista had it's problems early on, but it always seemed to me that most naysayers hadn't actually sat down and given Vista an unbiased try.

For myself, the type-search start menu alone is worth it. Rename your start menu programs with a little shortcut word at the end, and you can start anything in 2 seconds flat.

I essentially do the same thing at work. I show a client a new PC and they ooo and ah and ask how the desktop looks so nice with Windows XP and mention how well the PC performs. Then I let them know it is running Windows Vista.

Most of the first negative feelings towards Vista were from the negative Apple Ads. Apple Ads seem to really be doing their jobs.

This does not surprise me. A ton of people bash vista without ever using it or without actually even giving it a try.

Most of the first negative feelings towards Vista were from the negative Apple Ads. Apple Ads seem to really be doing their jobs.

I agree, people that believe the Apple ads are pretty bad too. It’s about time Microsoft did something about the negative ads and such. Personally, I would do an ad campaign that refutes the Apple ads with facts. You know, something like:

I’m a PC and I’m a Liar
Show the Mac ad and then post the facts

Especially now with the 2 billion OS X vulnerabilities compared to Vista, it is just insane that any company would allow another one to outright lie about them repeatedly without fighting back.

OOOOoooooooo the Pepsi Challenge!

My mother was one of those who bashed Vista because someone at work told her it was bad because HER friend told her it was bad and so forth..

When mom was ready to buy a new computer some 3 months ago, I picked out a fast HP machine with a C2D and 4gb RAM and a GeForce 7900 graphics card. It had Vista in it and it came with XP recovery disk for those who don't want Vista.

When we got home, I set up her computer and the first thing she did was hand me the XP recovery disk and said "please get rid of Vista". I looked at her like, god mom, not you too!

She trusts me explicitly when it comes to computers, and said "what? you haven't heard Vista was bad?" and I explained to her the situation. The Apple ads, the internet spreading negatives like wildfire, and so on. I told her I was using Vista myself for a couple months, and even proceeded to let her use my computer for a couple hours. She was sold!

I set her computer up with Vista Home Premium and now she bashes XP for being insecure and Apple for being a fucking liar.

Mission Accomplished.

Don't forget that a lot of the initial negative press for Vista was justified. When it first came out it actually was quite a bit slower than XP for very little gain. Now that the machines it comes pre-installed on have the horsepower to run it and Microsoft has optimized it quite a bit, especially with SP1, it's a nice OS. Remember, RAM wasn't always cheap as dirt.

Hilarious. Frothing Vista bashers are as asinine as console fanboys as far as I'm concerned.

Make them install Vista, all their software, and drivers on their 2-4 year old machine (don't forget you can't use your PC for a week, while it "indexes") and then see how much they like it. Vista deserves it's rep.

Though I forgot to mention the case was the same with XP for those of us that remember way back when. XP was a huge resource hog and wasn't good for gaming when it first came out too. Things just need to mature a little is all.

I LOVE this.

I swear that all the Vista bashers out there have never actually TRIED the OS.

Vista 64 is simply an amazing OS. Rock solid, fast, and runs just about any piece of 32-bit code you can find (HW drivers aside, of course).

Make them install Vista, all their software, and drivers on their 2-4 year old machine (don't forget you can't use your PC for a week, while it "indexes") and then see how much they like it. Vista deserves it's rep.

Lets travel back to a magical time around 2000-2001. Have people install XP on their 2-4 year old PCs. See how that works out?

lol, too funny :)

I still wont use Vista though as it cannot be made as secure.
The IP blocker - Protowall - runs on Vista32 but doesnt tell you what is being blocked which is unfortunate as you cannot quickly permit the IPs you want to allow.
So it works but with a pretty bad handicap.
Vista 64 has no IP blocking software that I know of, doh!
Thats the only thing holding me back now.

Protowall:
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=dscriptca&CODE=viewcat&cat_id=1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProtoWall

Don't forget that a lot of the initial negative press for Vista was justified. When it first came out it actually was quite a bit slower than XP for very little gain. Now that the machines it comes pre-installed on have the horsepower to run it and Microsoft has optimized it quite a bit, especially with SP1, it's a nice OS. Remember, RAM wasn't always cheap as dirt.

The issue early on was that a few major hardware companies (particularly and Nvidia and Creative) didn't have good Vista drivers for 2-3 months after Vista came out.

After that it was smooth sailing, even before SP1.

The issue early on was that a few major hardware companies (particularly and Nvidia and Creative) didn't have good Vista drivers for 2-3 months after Vista came out.

After that it was smooth sailing, even before SP1.

WERD.

99% of the issues w/ Vista were NOT M$'s doing. These companies had access to all the alphas and betas to get drivers going. It took them almost a YEAR post-release to get things right.

MS took a lot of abuse for other people's failures.

Funny, cause even the oldest machine I have in the house (circa 2003 or so) still runs Vista Premium without a problem. Thats a P4 2.6/1gb ram with an x800.

Now if trying to install it on the cheapest system from 4 years ago, like a Celeron 1.7 with 256 mb or ram, yah that would suck.. big time.

Eh, it was really bad when it came out. Now, not so much.

It shipped on a value computer and brought it to its knees until i put the desktop to classic. Runs like a champ now.

I've got to see the video cause I want to see how far they went with it. Annoyances for me were the networking "control" panel, that still sucks ass, the "revamed" windows explorer (minor rant), add/remove programs which was morphed into some dumbshit "add/remove windows features" abortion, and trying to stop/disable those services I neither wanted running nor needed. If I had been given "Mojave", I think those are the places I would have looked. I still don't like Vista.

ive never had a single issue with vista......not one. hell, that includes the time before SP1 was released. most of the vista bashing ive heard has been from people that have never actually used it themselves. yay terribad (excuse my warcraft lingo, but i felt it was appropriate in this case) mac ad's for feeding people a bunch of crap!

The only thing going through my head is this:

1.) You "hate" Vista
2.) When asked about Vista, you tell the person asking you that you "hate Vista"
3.) When lied to like a moron and told that what you are using is Mojave, you like it
4.) The truth is, you've never seen or used Vista, and you're regurgitating the portions of the conversation that you half way overheard while standing around the office watercooler.
5.) Your "hatred" for Vista is spawned from somone else's "opnion," which it is more than likely that they were regurgitating from someone else's half informed opinions regarding something they probably did not try, either.
6.) You are a sheep, and I don't mean that in a religious sense, either. You are incapable of trying something and forming your own opinion.

These kinds of FUD spreading people annoy me. I don't like Macs, for personal reasons (and their valid). I don't like Linux because I get lost in trying to accomplish a task that is insignifcant for me to accomplish in Windows. Does that mean Macs are bad? Actually, that may be a bad analogy. It certainly doesn't mean Linux is bad. It means I don't know enough to know how to use it. However, I'm not going to blurt out that I personally take issue with someone else's preference (as long as their reasons are valid) simply because I feel the need to spew the information I memorized while firmly having both thumbs up my ass during some low level IT employees rant around the office.

...morons

Annoyances for me were the networking "control" panel, that still sucks ass
Why? It made it easy to find everything.

the "revamed" windows explorer (minor rant)
What's wrong with it?

add/remove programs which was morphed into some dumbshit "add/remove windows features" abortion
I don't know what you're talking about. Add/Remove Programs is identical and works the same way, its just called programs.

and trying to stop/disable those services I neither wanted running nor needed.
Huh?

OOOOoooooooo the Pepsi Challenge!

My mother was one of those who bashed Vista because someone at work told her it was bad because HER friend told her it was bad and so forth..

When mom was ready to buy a new computer some 3 months ago, I picked out a fast HP machine with a C2D and 4gb RAM and a GeForce 7900 graphics card. It had Vista in it and it came with XP recovery disk for those who don't want Vista.

When we got home, I set up her computer and the first thing she did was hand me the XP recovery disk and said "please get rid of Vista". I looked at her like, god mom, not you too!

She trusts me explicitly when it comes to computers, and said "what? you haven't heard Vista was bad?" and I explained to her the situation. The Apple ads, the internet spreading negatives like wildfire, and so on. I told her I was using Vista myself for a couple months, and even proceeded to let her use my computer for a couple hours. She was sold!

I set her computer up with Vista Home Premium and now she bashes XP for being insecure and Apple for being a fucking liar.

Mission Accomplished.

Same thing with my mom, she wanted me to pick out an OEM computer that was good for her, I picked out a HP media computer, it came with vista but I told her it was XP because I honestly did not want to be at that store listening to the horrible advice our little helper was giving her anylonger.

The drive back, shes telling me about how shes glad this computer still came with XP and not vista and how hard her life would be with vista!

Take it home, I set it up for her, connect it to the router, make sure it got all the updates, she comes in not seeing the vista sign, and emmediately uses it. I go back to germany, come back a year later and shes using the hell out of it, me and my dumbass forgets she still thinks shes using XP I ask her how she likes using Vista and she emmediately wants to get rid of it?!

Thats like wtf?! eventually I had to convince her that her life was just as fine with vista as XP and all that shit she was telling me in the car was obviously false since she was still using it and her life wasn't any harder then before.

Some people...

Whoa... fanbois assemble!

Used Vista for 9 months, reinstalled xp to see how it compared, haven't gone back.

Why? It made it easy to find everything.

What's wrong with it?

I don't know what you're talking about. Add/Remove Programs is identical and works the same way, its just called programs.

Huh?

Just people who can't admit they were wrong about Vista. They have to crap on it from another angle. Just goes to show some people can't handle changes. They're certainly in the wrong forum as technology changes every time we as much as blink.

Although I was ranting (yes, I am known to do that on occassion), you could replace vista with any tangible act or object in known existence, and apply it to any conversation wher you encounter someone too stubborn to listen or concede that they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

For instance, replace "Vista" with "Picking up people you don't know in a stolen car to go to a bar and get drunk, only to be pulled over by the police on the way home, beat the officer to death, steal his card, and driving down the sidewalk whole shooting innocent bystanders in the head"

...you know...like in GTA4 (or any GTA for that matter).

Running Vista Home Premium 64 on my current rig, Vista Home Premium 32 on my girlfriend's laptop (Dell 1520), and Vista Home Premium 32 on my old media PC.

Media PC:
AMD barton 2500
Shuttle SN45G w/ Nvidia nforce2 ultra400
2gb ram

Note: This motherboard is not even supported by nvidia for Vista. I had to run the winXP drivers in compatibility mode to get the sound working. Nvidia's fault for not supporting the chipset, of course.

I had to use my media pc for a while when I was upgrading my new rig. I used it for about a week and it was great. That 3 year old pc runs Vista like a champ.

My gf likes to make fun of people that don't like Vista more than I do. She's been loving it on her laptop and has had no issues. She's also an avid gamer.

I personally don't like the new network panel either, but I don't go on noes vista sucks cause one UI screen was changed...

Pretty much the only issues I've had since Beta are all related to slacking hardware manufacturers too lazy to write new drivers in time.

MS has probably lost a ton of money due to Vistas image problems, when there is nothing wrong with it at all. I can't count how many times I've heard from people in my office, "You use Vista? But doesn't it suck?"

Of course none of them have tried it, not even the more technical people.

I have serious doubts about how many Vista fanboys would be here if you could install DirectX 10 on XP.

The only thing going through my head is this:

1.) You "hate" Vista
2.) When asked about Vista, you tell the person asking you that you "hate Vista"
3.) When lied to like a moron and told that what you are using is Mojave, you like it
4.) The truth is, you've never seen or used Vista, and you're regurgitating the portions of the conversation that you half way overheard while standing around the office watercooler.
5.) Your "hatred" for Vista is spawned from somone else's "opnion," which it is more than likely that they were regurgitating from someone else's half informed opinions regarding something they probably did not try, either.
6.) You are a sheep, and I don't mean that in a religious sense, either. You are incapable of trying something and forming your own opinion.
7.) You use a mac and actually believe the cost was justified and constantly feel the need to affirm this belief by ignorantly bashing the latest microsoft OS even though you bought it anyway and run it on your mac because your mac dont do everything you wanted it to.

These kinds of FUD spreading people annoy me. I don't like Macs, for personal reasons (and their valid). I don't like Linux because I get lost in trying to accomplish a task that is insignifcant for me to accomplish in Windows. Does that mean Macs are bad? Actually, that may be a bad analogy. It certainly doesn't mean Linux is bad. It means I don't know enough to know how to use it. However, I'm not going to blurt out that I personally take issue with someone else's preference (as long as their reasons are valid) simply because I feel the need to spew the information I memorized while firmly having both thumbs up my ass during some low level IT employees rant around the office.

...morons

I agree totally.

I have serious doubts about how many Vista fanboys would be here if you could install DirectX 10 on XP.

Because DX10 is the driving force behind vista with the whopping support of like 4 games.:rolleyes:

How long are the ignorant XP fanbois going to use the DX10 copout? Denial much? :rolleyes:

Back