MOH Airborn install problem fix (for me, anyway)

pek

prairie dog
I am starting this in the hope it will help others that are having this irritating install problem. I also have a rant at the end.

I found this on EA's forums. If your install of MOHA craps out at the very end without an error at all, try this.

1. Enable MS ICS.

Yes children, EA wants to modify your access list:

A change has been made to the Windows Firewall application exception list.

Policy origin: Local Policy
Profile changed: Standard
Change type: Add
New Settings:
Name: Medal of Honor Airborne
Path: D:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Medal of Honor Airborne\UnrealEngine3\Binaries\MOHA.exe
State: Enabled
Scope: All subnets
Old Settings:
Name: -
Path: -
State: -
Scope: -

So, EA not only doesn't tell you you have to have ICS running IN ORDER TO JUST INSTALL THE DAMN GAME, it wants to change security on your pc without telling you. I use ZA, so I had to start the ICS service to install the game. I then turned it off. The fixes posted on the EA forums changed throughout the day, and I had tried those plus what EA support asked me to try (updated installshield, stopping ALL procs except the ones that would crash your pc if they weren't running).

/rant on

I can't fathom the reasoning behind this decision, to require ICS be running to do an install. I feel this is as bad or worse than using starforce. I am going to think very, very hard about buying an EA game in the future if this is how their development/management team thinks. At least you can get Bioshock from Steam so you don't have to put up with starforce. And Stardock has a great idea, too. I mean, you can get cracked versions of these games within hours of offical release and no wonder with the stupid DRM. This very short-sighted policy is going to bite the developers/publishers right in the ass.

/rant off

What a PITA! I was really looking forward to playing this game (as soon as I build a new PC :p)!

well thats weird i just got home with my copy it installed with out a hitch, i have za pro running.

well going to play :)

I tried to load for over a day, they posted that fix on their forums last night. Post even said it wants to change acls and the security event log entry proves it. I keep my ICS service disabled and had to start it to get the game to load. I think if it's on manual it will let the installer start it. YMMV. They (EA) know it's causing most of the problems installing it, it's the only fix they have posted on their forums right now. My other comments/rant still stand, tho.

pek

Mac[X-D];1031410189 said:
well thats weird i just got home with my copy it installed with out a hitch, i have za pro running.

well going to play :)

Same here. I installed it on Windows XP without a hitch. Is this a Vista issue?

I had the same issue on Windows XP x64. I simply enabled the Windows Firewall/ICS service in services.msc, installed it, then disabled the service. Works fine.

Code:
Start -> Run -> services.msc -> Start Windows Firewall/ICS

Heh, I disable certain services for a good reason, if there's no fix for installing without ICS/firewall on then I won't be buying this game.

It looks like it wants to edit the firewall rules, and the firewall service comes with the ICS one, not sure why they're bundled together, obviously for security when sharing connections or some such.

Either way I wouldn't want installers editing security of my PC, thats a slipperly slope if I ever saw one.

Heh, I disable certain services for a good reason, if there's no fix for installing without ICS/firewall on then I won't be buying this game.

It looks like it wants to edit the firewall rules, and the firewall service comes with the ICS one, not sure why they're bundled together, obviously for security when sharing connections or some such.

Either way I wouldn't want installers editing security of my PC, thats a slipperly slope if I ever saw one.

That's my feelings exactly. I have a hard enough time letting M$ make changes, let alone a GAME installer. At the very least they need to let you say yes or no to the changes, that's best practices. Bad enough they want to make the changes, and don't tell you in any docs, but to have the install fail with no log is really, really, well, I don't know a postable word.

pek

Well i didnt have any problems installing it in Vista 32bit but i DID have problems un-installing it. It took over 10 minutes just to un-install :eek::eek::eek: Just sat there on "Gathering Required information" while the drive thrashed like crazy.

Why is it that some games un-install in a few seconds and some take forever. :mad:

Back