Modular replacement "drawer" for Ikea's Helmer cabinet (miniITX case)

Spotswood

Gawd
Here's a modular tech tray ("drawer" replacement) for Ikea's Helmer cabinet. You attach a drawer front to the tray via the handle.

Helmer%20Tray%20Back%20w%20Front%20Fans-640.jpg

Its completely modular, so you can decide on the final placement of your rig components.

Top view:
Helmer%20Tray%20Top%20w%20Arrows-640.jpg

Bottom view;
Helmer%20Tray%20Bottom%20w%20Arrows-640.jpg

More info here.

Thanks for looking,
Rich

Last edited:
Hmmm... other than the panels being exposed (when the drawer is open) this seems like a clever idea to me. Is there a photo/mockup of the full setup?

Any reason why the I/O panel is facing towards the "front" of the drawer?

Hmmm... other than the panels being exposed (when the drawer is open) this seems like a clever idea to me. Is there a photo/mockup of the full setup?

Any reason why the I/O panel is facing towards the "front" of the drawer?

You could insert sheeting into the grooves.

When complete, the cabinet itself will look exactly the same as the original (minus the back).

Helmer%20cabinet.JPG

Here's a model of all 6 drawers replaced with trays:

Helmer%20Complete%20Mockup.jpg

Hmmm...the IO panel *is* facing the rear (look at the "Top view", above).

eek! I'm sorry, I didn't notice that.

That actually looks quite neat. Is there a plan for a sort of Beowulf setup, or some sort of backbone in the cabinet?

I know the drawer is from a cabinet, but any plans for, say, a desk drawer computer?

Either way, happy new year. :D

eek! I'm sorry, I didn't notice that.

That actually looks quite neat. Is there a plan for a sort of Beowulf setup, or some sort of backbone in the cabinet?

I know the drawer is from a cabinet, but any plans for, say, a desk drawer computer?

Either way, happy new year. :D

Thanks.

I should be able to mount some t-slot extrusions onto the back of the cabinet, for mounting a powerstrip, router, etc.

A custom-sized tech tray would probably be the way to go for a "desk drawer computer."

ATXSimpleTraywRigFront-640_zpse2be0964.jpg

With our Helmer trays your aren't restricted to low-height, non-discrete GPU rigs. Here's a miniITX rig with a full size ATX PSU:

Helmer%20Tray%20for%203slot%20miniITX%20Back-410.jpg

Helmer%20Tray%20for%203slot%20miniITX%20Front-410.jpg

Helmer%20Tray%20for%203slot%20miniITX%20Side-410.jpg

Last edited:
This look pretty amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product.

This look pretty amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Hmmm, the small miniITX is currently for sale (as pictured). :( The larger 3-slot miniITX, microATX and full ATX in a couple of weeks, and I don't expect those designs to differ much from what is shown here.

Always love your gear Spotswood!

Thank you!

Who knows? I was asked to build these almost a year ago, but focused on cases for bitcoin rigs instead, and now that the BTC market has dried up, here it is. ;)

Last edited:
Room for a full-size ATX rig:
Helmer%20Tray%20ATX%20proto%20side-410.jpg

Same case, but with vertically oriented motherboard tray:

Helmer%20Tray%20ATX%20vertical%20proto%20side-410.jpg

Last edited:
Spotswood;1041367724]With our Helmer trays your aren't restricted to low-height, non-discrete GPU rigs. Here's a miniITX rig with a full size ATX PSU:

What would a set like this cost?

Could ultimately stuff four microATX rigs in an IKEA Helmer cabinet using (two of these) "drawer" replacements:
IKEA%20HELMER%20v10.jpg

Dual microATX replacement "drawer" with one (example) rig:

Helmer%20Tray%20dual%20microATX%20top%20in%20cab%20w%20one%20rig-640.jpg

Helmer%20Tray%20dual%20microATX%20side%20w%20one%20rig-640.jpg

Helmer%20Tray%20dual%20microATX%20back%20w%20one%20rig-640.jpg

FInal mounting locations of every component is left to the builder, of course. ;)

Great idea!

One question though, where are the intake fans drawing air from? I'm not familiar with the particular design of these Ikea drawers. Just seeing the modules, it looks like the intake fans sit very close to the front of the drawer with no way to draw cool air from outside. Are the cabinets elevated off the floor and it draws air from holes on the underside or elsewhere?

Great idea!

One question though, where are the intake fans drawing air from? I'm not familiar with the particular design of these Ikea drawers. Just seeing the modules, it looks like the intake fans sit very close to the front of the drawer with no way to draw cool air from outside. Are the cabinets elevated off the floor and it draws air from holes on the underside or elsewhere?

These aren't intended for high watt rigs. Unless you water cool 'em.

The raised cabinet has no floor or back. The replacement "drawers" have no sheeting on them either, so its sort'a like stacking a bunch of open air rigs.

The fans in the one-drawer, miniITX case are 40mm away from the front and in the dual microATX they are 15mm, but those fans could also have been mounted 30mm away. Fans can also be mounted on the bottom or top of the dual microATX case.

From the drawings and use of extruded aluminum im guessing this is spotswood from the bitcointalk forums?

I can see applications for the ITX drawers with an AMD APU array being a one-box LAN party. Awesome.

A two "drawer high" version which can accept a full-size ATX PSU, and with front and back 120mm fans:

Helmer%20Tray%202%20drawer%20proto%20back%20ATX%20PSU-640.jpg

Helmer%20Tray%202%20drawer%20proto%20side%20ATX%20PSU-640.jpg

Back