Modular PSU - use the right cables!

Had a guy at MicroCenter do the same. It was worse, though- he went from a Silverstone Strider, to a Silverstone Decathlon. Yep, same brand. Different pinouts- smoked a few hard drives, lost over a terabyte of stuff.

The guy should have had more sense than that. He shouldn't have assumbed they'd be wired the same.

another reason i hate modular psu.

That's kind of like watching a guy stick a screwdriver into his eyeball, and then turning to a buddy and saying "See? That's why I hate screwdrivers."

That's kind of like watching a guy stick a screwdriver into his eyeball, and then turning to a buddy and saying "See? That's why I hate screwdrivers."

not really unless the person is retarded. i can see it happening to less informed people building systems.

This is the reason you hate modular PSU's?

If the person was dumb enough to do this, he probably also gave a bad review of the q6600 for not fitting in his AM2 MB. :rolleyes:

Uhm... The real point we should draw from all of this:

FUCK PROPRIETARY CONNECTORS! All the connectors should be straight through. Molex to Molex. PCIe to PCIe. Same connector on either end.

None of this bullshit corsair 5 pin crap! I had to re-do ALL my wires when I switched from an Ultra XVS to a Corsair PSU...

Ahem... /rant :)

Uhm... The real point we should draw from all of this:

FUCK PROPRIETARY CONNECTORS! All the connectors should be straight through. Molex to Molex. PCIe to PCIe. Same connector on either end.

None of this bullshit corsair 5 pin crap! I had to re-do ALL my wires when I switched from an Ultra XVS to a Corsair PSU...

And if you had used a new wired PSU you would have had to as well :p

And if you had used a new wired PSU you would have had to as well :p

That's very true, but I'd never buy a wired PSU... Unlike most around here, aesthetics, not performance, is the main reason I'm a computer enthusiast :p

Then again, when I said "redo my wires" I literally cut and solder them all to length with custom sleeving... It was a good 6 hour job transitioning to the Corsair PSU... :eek:

The guy strikes me as being a little slow.

I move old stuff I am not using away from where I am building as soon as I remove it. That prevents stuff like using a similar looking cable that's from the previous build. To then read that the cable was labeled and for the sheer carelessness of not protecting $20,000 of data?

This thread delivers! :D

Wouldn't a guy who spends 20k on data recovery at least know some stuff about parts? And why the hell was he even trying to stuff TT wires into a Corsair? I mean what else does he do, recharge his whatever phone with a car alternator, have it blow up in his face (too bad the PSU didn't do this) then cry "proprietary". I can only imagine Corsair's office rofling while trying to write out a professional response...

Wouldn't a guy who spends 20k on data recovery at least know some stuff about parts? And why the hell was he even trying to stuff TT wires into a Corsair? I mean what else does he do, recharge his whatever phone with a car alternator, have it blow up in his face (too bad the PSU didn't do this) then cry "proprietary". I can only imagine Corsair's office rofling while trying to write out a professional response...

I don't know about the laughing, but I can tell you that if I were in charge of some data that was worth more than $20k, you can bet your butt I'd have an offsite backup that was updated at least once a week.

I don't know about the laughing, but I can tell you that if I were in charge of some data that was worth more than $20k, you can bet your butt I'd have an offsite backup that was updated at least once a week.

I couldn't agree more.

Or at least enough brains to know that you can probably just replace the circuit boards instead of having to spend $20k on data recovery...

What with LTO4 tape libraries at lower prices than that restore, what is the reason that backups were not provided for?

Tape backups being ignored after the lessons of 9/11 should cost one $20K.

What with LTO4 tape libraries at lower prices than that restore, what is the reason that backups were not provided for?

Tape backups being ignored after the lessons of 9/11 should cost one $20K.

Agreed. If your data is valuable, you safeguard it.

I think it is kinda foolish to mix and match leads from one power supply to another. But thanks to that newegg reviewer, I don't have to wander what would happen if I wanted to kill my poor machine! :)

It's amazing the amount of people in here calling the guy stupid and saying he got exactly what he deserves... yadda yadda yadda.

I guaran-fucking-tee you that every single person in here has done something equally as 'stupid' at some point working on their own PCs. Shit happens.

It's amazing the amount of people in here calling the guy stupid and saying he got exactly what he deserves... yadda yadda yadda.

I guaran-fucking-tee you that every single person in here has done something equally as 'stupid' at some point working on their own PCs. Shit happens.

No, actually I've never done anything that stupid while working in one of my PCs. In fact, I don't think I've ever accidentally fried any computer components.

I've made a lot of stupid mistakes, but always on my own PC and nothing cost me more than $500. (T-bird processor that I cracked the core on when installing a heatsink back in the day - that one hurt).

But I've never, ever done anything that would cost $20k to fix (aside from student loans and credit card debt....heh.)

I installed a floppy cable upside down once. I didn't blame the MB manufacturer or the floppy drive manufacturer. It also didn't cost me 20 grand.

Back