Modifying car radio for line-in RE:iPod

tommo

Gawd
Hi,
Does anyone know of sites that show you how to modify the stock radio of your car to accept a line in?

If it helps, I'm trying to get my iPod working in an '04 impala. I've tried several FM transmitters without good results. The car does not have a cassette deck.

TIA

If your radio doesn't not have inputs, save yourself a heap of trouble and just buy one that does. You can get something good for around $100 that will probably be better than the standard impala one and will be able to plug your ipod into.

Then there's the ghetto way. Get one of those splitters that goes from headphone out to Stereo out (red and white). Then cut off the ends and make splicers so that you go from 2 wires to 4. 2 Left, 2 right. Then splice them right into your speaker system.

Thanks, I like the trouble though.. I'll keep asking around. Bumppppp

go to crutchfield.com and put your car in and see if they have any ipod/mp3 player solutions for your car.

If your car has cd changer or satellite radio ability, there's a very good chance a company called PIE has a conversion unit that allows RCA connections. If i remember correctly most of them are around $100 (so getting a whole new head unit starts to not sound so expensive). Then all you need is a mini -> RCA cable and you're set.

For reference, I have a PIE converter in my car for my ipod and XM radio and it's great sound quality (helps to have a good sound system).

I'm about to break down and get one of those PIE auxiliary in things because changing my stereo out would remove the access to some of the onboard computer controls...

Thanks guys.

Let us know how the PIE works for you. I'm interested to see how they actually work, because I'm thinking about getting one.

cowcaster, i use one and it works just peachy.

they are proven to work by many, many people.

Back