Modified Z-2300? Adding new speakers

Goodfellah

Limp Gawd
Has anyone on this board modified a set of Z-2300 Logitech speakers before, or known anyone that has?

They run 8 ohm, with a proprietary cord to the control pod/amp on the sub. I really think the sub is great, but I was able to get my hands on a nice set of Boston Acoustic Passive bookshelf speakers which I think would be a nice mod to this 2.1 system.

Has anyone cut the cord on their speakers and ran them to a new set before?

Any advice would be great, just want to make sure it doesn't have some bizarre wiring scheme in there.

-Patrick

EDIT

Actually just found this, showing that you can make a cord that connects with the existing system and not doing anything with the old speakers. Nice.

http://aussiegeeks.lefora.com/2008/10/18/cheap-easy-upgrade-for-the-logitech-z-2300s/

Anyone know how to make one of those up, it wasn't too clear.

EDIT

Well hell, just answered my own question, just needed a pair of Speaker wire to RCA adapter cables and it should work. Found a set on Amazon and they are shipping out today.

EDIT

Nvm, Added pic of the mod at the bottom!

Last edited:
Just a heads up. Your speakers may be more clear and less shrill than the stock speakers, but you won't be getting the full potential of your bookshelves. The crossover point on logitech subs is ~100-120Hz from what I've read, which is terribly high and your speakers won't be outputting anything below that even though they could.

Has anyone on this board modified a set of Z-2300 Logitech speakers before, or known anyone that has?

They run 8 ohm, with a proprietary cord to the control pod/amp on the sub. I really think the sub is great, but I was able to get my hands on a nice set of Boston Acoustic Passive bookshelf speakers which I think would be a nice mod to this 2.1 system.

Has anyone cut the cord on their speakers and ran them to a new set before?

Any advice would be great, just want to make sure it doesn't have some bizarre wiring scheme in there.

-Patrick

EDIT

Actually just found this, showing that you can make a cord that connects with the existing system and not doing anything with the old speakers. Nice.

http://aussiegeeks.lefora.com/2008/10/18/cheap-easy-upgrade-for-the-logitech-z-2300s/

Anyone know how to make one of those up, it wasn't too clear.

EDIT

Well hell, just answered my own question, just needed a pair of Speaker wire to RCA adapter cables and it should work. Found a set on Amazon and they are shipping out today.

Mods feel free to delete this!

Well how about in sted you just post a impression when you get them.

I recently upgraded my home theater system to the one in my signature from the Z5500 and opted for 5.1 instead of 7.1 so I used the 2 spare Onkyo's with my Z2300. They do sound better so I decided keep them hooked up. Crazy thing is I was able to sell my Z5500 and the 2 Z2300 satellites to cover almost the whole cost of my new receiver and speakers. I wouldn't recommend going out buying an expensive pair of bookshelves but if you have an extra set around, go for it.

Just a heads up. Your speakers may be more clear and less shrill than the stock speakers, but you won't be getting the full potential of your bookshelves. The crossover point on logitech subs is ~100-120Hz from what I've read, which is terribly high and your speakers won't be outputting anything below that even though they could.

EXACTLY.

There is very little reason to use different speakers with the Logitech systems. The crossover threshold is not adjustable and as a result any replacement speakers you add are going to be belting out 120+ Hz and to be honest the stock speakers are perfectly suited for that.

You'd be better off putting your effort into getting a dedicated amp (TriPath based amps are great for this) for the replacement speakers and then saving up money for a sub later on.

Well this pair of Boston Acoustic speakers I got were free so I figured why not. It only cost me 10 dollars for the wiring from radio shack, will post up some pics when it is all done.

Managed to hook one up last night before I decided to mod my ikea desk, they sound great, super easy upgrade imo.

Took a quick shot of it after I reran the wiring and added some more zip tys to the back, haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to it for a long period but initial review is it sounds incredible, easy quick mod if you think mid's/high's were lacking in the original set.

Pic provided:

kFeFP.jpg

Made the speaker stands from an ikea bracket/shelf kit, whole thing cost me less than $20 and I put a coat of sealer on the two supports to match the desk, look turned out better than I thought it would. Very sturdy also, could easily hold a much heavier speaker.

-Patrick

That looks shit hot. Loving the stands. I'm thinking of replacing the two front speakers on my z-5500.

What models are the bookshelf speakers?

That looks shit hot. Loving the stands. I'm thinking of replacing the two front speakers on my z-5500.

What models are the bookshelf speakers?

These are Boston Acoustic CR57's. I found them in a closet at my parents house collecting dust, they said I could have them and here they are. Very impressed with the increase in sound quality. Overall for $20 I couldn't be happier.

-Patrick

I had go and dig in the old-electronics-pile and found out only thing missing is the RCA plugs. On Tuesday I'll go and buy some and give this a try just for fun. If it sounds more than decent I might buy a really cheap pair of passive nearfield studio monitors.

Back