Moderna Coronavirus vaccine sees positive results in phase one trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've got a dangerously agressive timeline and I suspect their real phase 3 is when they start vaccinating the masses. Hopefully it works (or at least doesn't have major side effects), but given that people have become reinfected after 3 or 4 months, I'm guessing these vaccines are, at best, going to last that long....which isn't a total surprise, given that some colds are Corona and immunity is about 3 or 4 months. Sadly, I think our best hope is going to be treatments, which for now is just that steroid and remdesivir...well that or you get a vaccine ever 3 or 4 months. Probably works if you have insurance, but might be expensive for those that don't have it.

Russian Scientists Figure Out How Long Covid-19 Takes to Die in Water

"Researchers from Russia’s VECTOR State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology in Novosibirsk, Siberia have figured out another important weakness of Covid-19: ordinary water.

In their study, scientists discovered that about 90 percent of the virus’s particles die in room temperature water in the course of 24 hours, with 99.9 percent succumbing within 72 hours. Furthermore, scientists confirmed that boiling water containing Covid-19 kills it immediately and completely.

Significantly, researchers also found that although the virus does not multiply in dechlorinated and sea water, it can remain viable for some time, with its lifespan depending directly on the water’s temperature. Chlorinated water is also said to be highly effective at killing the virus.

As the search for a vaccine continues, scientists continue to find out new things about the Covid-19. Last week, researchers at Kansas State University conclusively determined that there is no evidence that coronavirus can replicate in three common species of mosquitos. Earlier, a US Department of Homeland Security biolab discovered that the virus could be killed in seconds by sunlight, heat and humidity."

Putin says Russia’s Health Ministry has approved world’s first Covid-19 vaccine – his own daughter has been vaccinated

Last edited:

"Researchers from Russia’s VECTOR State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology in Novosibirsk, Siberia have figured out another important weakness of Covid-19: ordinary water.

In their study, scientists discovered that about 90 percent of the virus’s particles die in room temperature water in the course of 24 hours, with 99.9 percent succumbing within 72 hours. Furthermore, scientists confirmed that boiling water containing Covid-19 kills it immediately and completely.

Significantly, researchers also found that although the virus does not multiply in dechlorinated and sea water, it can remain viable for some time, with its lifespan depending directly on the water’s temperature. Chlorinated water is also said to be highly effective at killing the virus.

As the search for a vaccine continues, scientists continue to find out new things about the Covid-19. Last week, researchers at Kansas State University conclusively determined that there is no evidence that coronavirus can replicate in three common species of mosquitos. Earlier, a US Department of Homeland Security biolab discovered that the virus could be killed in seconds by sunlight, heat and humidity."

Putin says Russia’s Health Ministry has approved world’s first Covid-19 vaccine – his own daughter has been vaccinated

Shocking, organic material breaks down in the organic solvent. Groundbreaking work here.

Shocking, organic material breaks down in the organic solvent. Groundbreaking work here.
By organic solvent I assume you mean water? (just want to clarify, since water is not classified as an organic solvent by chemical definition). How long do other molecules last in water? amino acids? lipids? full proteins? large carbohydrate chains? Just curious, I'm assuming some of these can last a long time in water.

By organic solvent I assume you mean water? (just want to clarify, since water is not classified as an organic solvent by chemical definition). How long do other molecules last in water? amino acids? lipids? full proteins? large carbohydrate chains? Just curious, I'm assuming some of these can last a long time in water.
'the' not 'a'

sorry my chem teacher always taught us to call it the universal/organic solvent. Don't really remember the importance of the organic part. Either way a virus dying in water is hardly revolutionary.

Amazing timing for Putin, this should provide him with some leverage to deal with any pesky protests/unrest in unruly vassal states.

Just keep in mind that isn't a signal to reopen a country. One thing that our governments have shown is that they're willing to save the economy as the expensive of human life. Vaccines take a while to make, so I would see this as properganda to get people excited to get back to work.

The economy is people's lives. It's like a shark the has to keep moving. The idea it's a fixed pile of gold that never grows or shrinks is an infantile perception. Things are starting to decay from under us. The signs are there if you're willing to look.

The Death Rate is higher than the flu only for the non-working population. Nobody is bringing it home to Grandma, our at unhealthy elderly are mostly warehoused at care facilities.

Are you still getting most of your income?

Russia receives orders from 20 countries for one billion doses of world’s first Covid-19 vaccine

Many countries are rushing the testing of their potential vaccines to try to get them ready as quickly as possible. The US-UK vaccine has been undergoing simultaneous stage 1 / 2 / 3 trials, and Russia seems to be doing their stage-3 trials while commencing widespread deployment of the vaccine, as nilepez said.

I hope their vaccine works out for them and those who order / take it. It might be some months still before vaccines are available in North America.

I don't really trust Putin, but maybe it's real. That would be a pretty big deal.

Though I'll wait for the trials to complete, even if it does work, we don't know what kind of long-term side-effects there may be.

In their study, scientists discovered that about 90 percent of the virus’s particles die in room temperature water in the course of 24 hours, with 99.9 percent succumbing within 72 hours.
Somewhere there's a Trump joke buried in here... but I don't feel like getting another warning from the mods :D

https://services.aap.org/en/news-ro...9-cases-by-state-reflecting-increasing-cases/

The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children’s Hospital Association, in a weekly report that compiles state-by-state data on COVID-19 cases in children, found that between July 9 and Aug. 6, there were 179,990 new child cases -- an increase of 90% in child cases over 4 weeks. The data - while limited because of its reliance on how each state reports its cases -- underscores the urgent need to control the virus in communities so schools may reopen.

Excellent, now we just need to figure out how to boil people without killing them...

Excellent, now we just need to figure out how to boil people without killing them...
I predict a bright future for Mother Russia now that they have figured out that boiling water kills germs/viruses.

Can't wait for the U.S. to counter this with "The best boiling the world has ever seen".

I predict a bright future for Mother Russia now that they have figured out that boiling water kills germs/viruses.

Can't wait for the U.S. to counter this with "The best boiling the world has ever seen".

until the boiling water is racist and a ploy by white people to keep colored people down.

"Here comrade... take this... inject yourself with it. All will be good with you now, dah?"

I can't help but be a little dubious. This seems very rushed and sudden. I think their plan goes something like this: Come up with something you think might work as a vaccine, but you haven't had the chance to test very well, and there may be unknown side effects or possible long term issue with its use... Just start giving it out to every country that asks. Sit back and wait a while. See how it goes.

"Here comrade... take this... inject yourself with it. All will be good with you now, dah?"

I can't help but be a little dubious. This seems very rushed and sudden. I think their plan goes something like this: Come up with something you think might work as a vaccine, but you haven't had the chance to test very well, and there may be unknown side effects or possible long term issue with its use... Just start giving it out to every country that asks. Sit back and wait a while. See how it goes.

Russia completed phase 1 and 2 tests, and their phase 3 tests have just started as they're preparing to roll-out their vaccine to essential workers. Their vaccine won't be available to the general public until January 2021, by which time phase 3 will have been completed. No idea when they're going to start shipping internationally, though they're already taking orders and setting up production deals in other countries.

I think it's not like US and other countries' vaccines really took longer to develop, but that it's more that the way they're doing testing is taking longer. The US also tried to be the first to have a vaccine ready by approving simultaneous phase testing for the US-UK potential vaccine (maybe that's the AstraZenica one?).

The develop of the Russian vaccine says it was simple to make because of the type of vaccine it is - that it's essentially the virus with the gene that enables it to reproduce removed. So, it triggers antibodies without the virus spreading.

You doubt the Russians, eh comrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back