Modern Warfare Will Show You Your Kill-Death Ratio For $20

erek

[H]F Junkie
If you care, seems worth the price!

"Modern Warfare’s inaugural Battle Pass is a huge step up from the loot box nightmares of last year’s Black Ops 4, but it seems outlandish to have a watch in a $20 cosmetic bundle provide a lacking staple of Call of Duty’s in-game scoreboard. Whether this was orchestrated to sell cosmetics or completely unintentional, the fact remains that a DLC watch is now the only way to see your death count in most game modes."

https://kotaku.com/modern-warfare-will-show-you-your-kill-death-ratio-for-1840416982

picard-facepalm.jpg

KDR = getPlayerKills(playerID) / getPlayerDeaths(playerID)

Return KDR

Seems like its worth $20 lol. Yeah you need some case checking for a 0 numerator or denominator but eh.

Simple, stop buying shit

Yeah, I mean, I was never going to play any of this Call of Modern Battlefield crap anyway, but still, the fact that there are enough kids out there who will rush in an buy this crap no matter what to let them get away with tit makes me feel a range of emotions, including frustration, sadness and anger.

At some point you have to quit being weak-willed and stand up for what you believe in, no matter the price.

Missing out on one bad game seems like a pretty small price to pay, and a pretty pathetic thing to sell out over.

I played to level 155 in 3 weeks - they don't have a prestige mode this time (where you re-lock everything and start from level 1)

It's a fun game, but I really missed the camaraderie, team work and the skin in the game feel you get from dying in a BR game that I get from Apex Legends.

A month was enough COD for me and that's about how long it takes for them to really get the monitization rolling.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Meh, I play. I haven't played an FPS game in years and years. The first three days I kicked ass, then SBMM kicked in, and I got destroyed every match. I'm talking 2 kills and 40 deaths. Stopped for a week or two, and came back. Now every game is really close. We win or lose by just a few points. Must have tweaked something.

I think the KD ratio thing, is you can check it during a match. At the end it gives it.

KDR = getPlayerKills(playerID) / getPlayerDeaths(playerID)

Return KDR

Seems like its worth $20 lol. Yeah you need some case checking for a 0 numerator or denominator but eh.

That is not the point. K/D been a staple since the begining of FPS. It was something already programed in. They just removed it to profit off it. I don't get how the average person does not see what companies like Activision, EA and Bethesda are doing and just accepts it.

That is not the point. K/D been a staple since the begining of FPS. It was something already programed in. They just removed it to profit off it. I don't get how the average person does not see what companies like Activision, EA and Bethesda are doing and just accepts it.
I don't think they removed it. Just the ability to check it during a match. I can check how many kills I have during a game no problem. At least that's how it was last night. Perhaps it was to prevent the kids hopped up on Adderall and Mountain Dew degrading other player's scores midgame.

As for all the BS that EA, Activision, etc pull, I think we're sort of limited to what FPS games are out there. Sure, there are hundreds of other FPS games, but these AAA titles have the playerbase to go with it. There' just something about them. Just like Warcraft and the MMO genre. I must have tried 20 other MMOs, and I always go back to my staple World of Warcraft every other year. Same with Dunkin Donuts. I can have a coffee at a hundred different places, but Dunks just has it nailed for me. Unfortunately you have to go "meta".

Companies can charge whatever they want. You don't have to buy the DLC or the next installment or any of the company's products. Vote with your wallet.

What I mean is do they show you your kills total and your deaths total?
In match you see how many kills you get. Along with objective score, caps, assists, that sort of thing; Not deaths. Once the match is over, you can see your ratio. Deaths do no appear until after the round is over. The $20 has a handful of DLC, and I think one of them is a watch that shows your KD during a round. I think. Don't quote me on this. I was glancing this over last night between matches.

WOW!!!

what is next, $5 dollars each log in?

$1 per letter in your player name to make an account?

Companies can charge whatever they want. You don't have to buy the DLC or the next installment or any of the company's products. Vote with your wallet.
That is a nice settlement but there too many dumb fucks out there that fall for this shit and it is bleeding into every game.

That is a nice settlement but there too many dumb fucks out there that fall for this shit and it is bleeding into every game.

Agreed, they do it because it works and makes them more money with little effort. And they will keep pushing because people keep paying.

I must be the weird one because I honestly don't care. People want to pay $20 for some new weapon skins, avatar, or a running start on unlocks? Meh, fine. I mean hell, look at Path of Exile. Entire game can be played for free. How much do people drop on skins for that game? Enough to keep the game going for how many years now? Whatever. People will spend money where they want.

I am a bit irked at the whole unlocking system though. There's like 100 levels of unlocks you get. I've been leveling through them, but to unlock them you have to buy the BattlePass. I thought the BattlePass was just to skip leveling them. But honestly, flipping through them its just some weapon skins and new playable characters.

Now, if you paid $20 to unlock killstreaks or certain weapons, then I'd see a point to argue.

Weirdly cynical way of looking at it. The dev interview commentary I saw suggested that they got tired of the criticisms about KD/R being the only thing anyone ever focused on in CoD, so they wanted to try a different direction.

Welcome to the new normal. I can see shit like this becoming pervasive.

Activision and EA have been in a fuck-the-customer competition essentially since MW2 was released.

For a while, the main difference was that EA was actually developing some pretty incredible games on Frostbyte while Activision was serving up yearly rehashes with N64 visuals.

But both of these companies have 10+ years of data showing that the masses will buy their products sight unseen no matter what, so there's really nothing to disincentivize them. It's not the new industry normal, but it's certainly been their normal for quite a while now.

Activision and EA have been in a fuck-the-customer competition essentially since MW2 was released.

For a while, the main difference was that EA was actually developing some pretty incredible games on Frostbyte while Activision was serving up yearly rehashes with N64 visuals.

But both of these companies have 10+ years of data showing that the masses will buy their products sight unseen no matter what, so there's really nothing to disincentivize them. It's not the new industry normal, but it's certainly been their normal for quite a while now.

Have they sought monetization of player stats and the like the whole time too? Sorry I dont follow gaming trends THAT much. I just wonder how this isnt another example of the corporate/management class hiking up the cost of living for the average person via artificially inflating the cost of entertainment.

Weirdly cynical way of looking at it. The dev interview commentary I saw suggested that they got tired of the criticisms about KD/R being the only thing anyone ever focused on in CoD, so they wanted to try a different direction.
You realize that's complete bullshit, right? There are other free things they could do to get the same result that aren't charging $20 for something that is normally in the game.

You realize that's complete bullshit, right? There are other free things they could do to get the same result that aren't charging $20 for something that is normally in the game.

It is about selling what people will buy. And putting the least amount of work into something with the highest return. They will keep pushing as long as the market allows it.

Meh, I play. I haven't played an FPS game in years and years. The first three days I kicked ass, then SBMM kicked in, and I got destroyed every match. I'm talking 2 kills and 40 deaths. Stopped for a week or two, and came back. Now every game is really close. We win or lose by just a few points. Must have tweaked something.

I think the KD ratio thing, is you can check it during a match. At the end it gives it.

I don't really mind SBMM in principle, but the problem in Apex Legends has been that it groups people only by skill level and you often get dragged into a very laggy game with a terrible connection. What is even the point of letting people pick a regional server/data center if you're going to do that?

Intermediate players get mad because they get lumped in with the god-like players (since there are so few top tier players, they compress them into the intermediate range)

The game makers seem determined to remove every aspect of choice from their games and make everything subject to algorithms. This is going to be an issue in most fps games for the foreseeable future.

I don't really mind SBMM in principle, but the problem in Apex Legends has been that it groups people only by skill level and you often get dragged into a very laggy game with a terrible connection. What is even the point of letting people pick a regional server/data center if you're going to do that?

Intermediate players get mad because they get lumped in with the god-like players (since there are so few top tier players, they compress them into the intermediate range)

The game makers seem determined to remove every aspect of choice from their games and make everything subject to algorithms. This is going to be an issue in most fps games for the foreseeable future.
I'm 50/50 on SBMM. I can see the argument on each side. What I've read though, is they'll actually throttle things like accuracy and latency to make "better" players comparable to the less experienced players. After three days of /played, I actually wouldn't be surprised by it. After I get a decent round in, the next few rounds I get the little "packet loss" icon flashing on the left side of my screen. =/

I'm 50/50 on SBMM. I can see the argument on each side. What I've read though, is they'll actually throttle things like accuracy and latency to make "better" players comparable to the less experienced players. After three days of /played, I actually wouldn't be surprised by it. After I get a decent round in, the next few rounds I get the little "packet loss" icon flashing on the left side of my screen. =/

Im skeptical but if true, that is horrific from a player/customer standpoint.

I see what they are trying to do there..... It's almost like they are trying to level the playing field for people who maybe only get to play an hour here or there every other day and the people who are playing 8 hours a day every day. Which on one hand I am like yeah that seems like an OK idea, but on the other hand handycapping the other players for playing seems kinda like BS to me. It would just be better if they introduced some sort of ranking system based on your performance and play time and did a better job of matchmaking.

Back