Modern Warfare 2 Blows Away Launch Records

Did not buy, after eagerly waiting for it to hit the PC. Not gonna waste money on a dumbed down MP experience. Give me mods, give me a community, don't give me random console matches with extra ping, thx.

New Super Mario Wii ftw!

Ha ha, thanks. Yeah it just bugs me when people have an elitist attitude about "their" platform. All platforms have their ups and downs. One platform is NOT superior to another simply due to its nature - it's all about the developer and what they want to do. People can't blame a crappy game on the fact that it's not solely released on PC.

Say a developer put out a crappy game with mediocre graphics for both consoles and PC - PC fanatics would blame the game's mediocrity on the fact that the game is available for consoles as well as PC's. But I say this - if the game were only released for PC - then instead of a crappy game with mediocre graphics, you'd have a crappy game with excellent graphics.

I don't care how many coats of wax they apply - a shitty game is still a shitty game.

Actually compared to the PC, consoles only have "downs." Sorry, I can't think of one advantage consoles have over PCs.

Actually compared to the PC, consoles only have "downs." Sorry, I can't think of one advantage consoles have over PCs.

more players? I never had issues with getting connected to a game.

Dumb players? It seems to be full of ADD 12y/o.

Not really interested in these never COD series. Played this at my friends, single player was actually quite fun for a change. Still the pc version is quite sad, I think IW did something they shouldn't have done, by crippling the game like that, and especially the multiplayer in the pc version. Dedicated servers is a must in games like these..

It's simple. Consoles simply lack the power of the PC. There's nothing a console does that can't be done on a PC and the reverse is simply not true. And even as consoles get more powerful, PC's get much more powerful much more quickly.

Have you noticed that graphics on PC games have more or less stagnated over the last few years? That's because the high end target for developers is making a game run smoothly on the 360 and PS3, and the mainstream target is making WoW run smoothly on the millions of econoboxes out there. The PC version will look better in high end hardware but it is nothing like the exponential leap in fidelity you had between the two in the late 90s or before 2006.

The kind of machine I have is well within the top percentile of Steam's hardware survey. The kind of graphics that should be targeting the kind of horsepower I have simply isn't being put into games, so instead I get to play games like Left 4 Dead pinned at a framerate well past the point of any meaningful returns at 1920x1200.

Again, I recognize that while what you say is true to an extent, reality dictates that people are very happy to spend on a console what I pay for a video card alone, plug & play into a TV that they already have, and play games that look objectively excellent with all of their other friends that did the same thing, on an online social network that Microsoft did an amazing job with. Its why you have games like CoD4, which was made for PCs, sell under 400,000 copies while the 360 version broke 14 million. Simple economics.

The PC is my platform of choice but I'm not living in a world of denial either.

There is also the fact that the idea of a high powered PC in the living room simply isn't on most people's radars. Hell, its just barely on mine, and I love building these things. Having a console in the living room though is very widely accepted; it doesn't make people go "huh", so even though you can play a game like Street Fighter 4 or a racing game on a PC, it just won't happen to the extent that it will with a console. Not even a percentage of a percentage.

I'll also argue that the best looking game out there right now isn't on the 360 or the PC right now, it is Uncharted 2 on the PS3, so until some PC developer steps up to the plate with something amazing, that argument unfortunately goes out the window as well.

Not really interested in these never COD series. Played this at my friends, single player was actually quite fun for a change. Still the pc version is quite sad, I think IW did something they shouldn't have done, by crippling the game like that, and especially the multiplayer in the pc version. Dedicated servers is a must in games like these..

I think this point is VERY debatable. Sure I understand the issues that a lot of PC gamers have, particularly the hardcore types. But for those like myself this multiplayer is quite good and is fun.

I guess you could say that the MP is dumbed down and that people like me simply don't know any better and at least in my case I would even agree as I've never been a big MP gamer.

A question for those who have bought MW2 on the PC: How is the FOV compared to borderlands?

no dealing with driver issues, bugs, crashing; console exclusives like uncharted 2, dj hero, brutal legend, nintendo titles, etc.; sports games and fighting games and music-rhythm-karaoke games; motion controls; local multiplayer support on a single console; inexpensive gaming value proposition in regards to hardware; ability to rent-sell-trade games with ease in the second hand market; plug n play convenience factor; small size footprint; probably some others i can't think of right now.

needless to say, these will be advantages that cause some people to prefer consoles. as far as the pc, there are already a multitude of advantages over consoles that most should already know about if that is their platform of choice. like i said, both have strengths and weaknesses. fortunately, i game on the pc and consoles so i can compensate for any weaknesses that either of them possess.

There is also the fact that the idea of a high powered PC in the living room simply isn't on most people's radars. Hell, its just barely on mine, and I love building these things. Having a console in the living room though is very widely accepted; it doesn't make people go "huh", so even though you can play a game like Street Fighter 4 or a racing game on a PC, it just won't happen to the extent that it will with a console. Not even a percentage of a percentage.

With m-ITX becoming so popular with boards like the 9300-ITX or the new DFI P55 mITX one coming out, its quite possible to have a performance PC with near console-like dimensions. Hell with the X-Box 360 controllers working out of the box with Vista/7 you can have a console-like playing experience on a PC too.

This whole argument about PC Gaming vs Console gaming is retarded. To each is own.

I used to play games ONLY on PC. Only it gets expensive keeping your hardware up to date (sure you can get by every 2-3 years....but you'll always want that new shiny video card/processor.) This is even more true when you have a family. Do I make enough money to feed a PC gaming habit while maintaining an awesome gaming rig as well as take care of my kid? Yes I do. But Id still rather put the money towards the kid. Therefore I just game on consoles nowadays...keeps my inner gamer happy and I only have to worry about an upgrade every 5-6 years rather than every 12 months (to make sure you get the 'best' experience on a PC.)

So yes I bought it for 360. Its fun at first....but then gets repetitive and old really quick. I have since continued with Dragon Age...

If some of you guys claim to be such the hard-core gamer than why arn't you able to pick up the controller and kill at it too? In my eyes if your limiting your gaming habits to one console you are only handcuffing and really limiting yourself to a small spectrum of great games. Allow yourself to venture outside the box and enjoy a game and don't be so abusive towards console gamers. I myself use to be a mostly PC gamer, then I realized I was throwing away money only to make my games just a tad better, not exponentially,

As for comparing movies to games makes sense, say you do pay $10 for a movie experience and the movie is an 1h 21mins i.e. "Zombieland" it breaks down to being around 12cents a minute. So MW2 cost $60 and your get the 5 hours out of the single player and like myself I have about 10 hours thus far into the MP, and I havn't touched the coop aspect yet and will keep playing the MP. That breaks down to being around 6cents a minute as of right now and will only get cheaper.

Again if its not your cup of tea than don't buy it. You don't pay money to see a movie you didn't want to see, you may see a bad flick here and there and you pick up a game that is horrible too, but thats the risk your going to have to take as a consumer.

As for the war between Keyboard and Mouse vs Controller, your going to have amazing players on both ends. I believe it would be split down the middle.
In conclusion enjoy gaming as a hobby and an art form.

If some of you guys claim to be such the hard-core gamer than why arn't you able to pick up the controller and kill at it too? In my eyes if your limiting your gaming habits to one console you are only handcuffing and really limiting yourself to a small spectrum of great games. Allow yourself to venture outside the box and enjoy a game and don't be so abusive towards console gamers. I myself use to be a mostly PC gamer, then I realized I was throwing away money only to make my games just a tad better, not exponentially,

As for comparing movies to games makes sense, say you do pay $10 for a movie experience and the movie is an 1h 21mins i.e. "Zombieland" it breaks down to being around 12cents a minute. So MW2 cost $60 and your get the 5 hours out of the single player and like myself I have about 10 hours thus far into the MP, and I havn't touched the coop aspect yet and will keep playing the MP. That breaks down to being around 6cents a minute as of right now and will only get cheaper.

Again if its not your cup of tea than don't buy it. You don't pay money to see a movie you didn't want to see, you may see a bad flick here and there and you pick up a game that is horrible too, but thats the risk your going to have to take as a consumer.

As for the war between Keyboard and Mouse vs Controller, your going to have amazing players on both ends. I believe it would be split down the middle.
In conclusion enjoy gaming as a hobby and an art form.

Keyboard/mouse is superior to any controller. You can react faster and aim much better with a keyboardmouse. They had a tournament for Unreal Tournament that was between PC players using a kb/mouse vs Dreamcast players using a controller and the console players got slaughtered. It was something like 27-4. Then there was another cross platform game between the PC and Playstation 2. I don't remember the name but it started with an S. Pretty much they had to give the console players auto aim and limit the sensitivity for PC gamers on a kb/mouse so things could be even.

Keyboard/mouse is superior to any controller. You can react faster and aim much better with a keyboardmouse. They had a tournament for Unreal Tournament that was between PC players using a kb/mouse vs Dreamcast players using a controller and the console players got slaughtered. It was something like 27-4. Then there was another cross platform game between the PC and Playstation 2. I don't remember the name but it started with an S. Pretty much they had to give the console players auto aim and limit the sensitivity for PC gamers on a kb/mouse so things could be even.

socom?

in fps, rts, mmo type games, kb&m is def. more precise. in other genres, not so much.

Cancelled pre-order, didn't buy. Maybe get it one day if it's really cheap for single player. Lots of other games to play - dragon age + L4D2 will do me.

Don't get me wrong, I can think of a million (or a billion) advantages that my PC has over any console, too - but none of those have anything to do with gaming. With regards to gaming, it's all about which platform has the best variety and the best titles - and that simply has NOT been the PC - for around 10 years or more. ;)

I don't see a point in paying $60 for a 6 hour single player game experiance.

I know 2 people who purchased it anyway, both finished it that night, and I watched them TRY to play multiplayer.. (Now we are not casual gamers) He went 61-3 on a game he was lucky enough to host with his crappy DSL Lowest ping other than his was 90ms. Other games were just crazy stupid. It "matched" him with a game in Germany twice, and some of the maps just have no action. the most fun was spending 5 minutes blowing all the things that break apart up. Both have already uninstalled the game, as 'done'.

Id guess that most of those sales are consoles.

I personally will never buy mw2...

And there were peals of thunder in heaven, and the firmanents shook with the wrath of gawd.

Haha...agreed! IW can still suck on my left nut, they lost my 120 bucks...

Don't get me wrong, I can think of a million (or a billion) advantages that my PC has over any console, too - but none of those have anything to do with gaming. With regards to gaming, it's all about which platform has the best variety and the best titles - and that simply has NOT been the PC - for around 10 years or more. ;)

Really? Lets look at 5 areas. COD4:MW

Interface - Ask any Developer. I've talked to several. Mouse and keyboard is more accurate, and more responsive than any console controller. Not to mention with a G15 or like keyboard you can macro in a LOT of things, from text, to console commands, to weapon tricks.

Competition - PCs with private servers let you have FAIR and EVEN fights on neutral ground, no one having an advantage, and custom game mods for different tournaments, allowing better more balanced competitive game play. Consoles use hosted games, so one player or players always have an advantage, and do not allow for much if any competitive play.

Customization - Want a riffle only, or sniper only server? PC. Want a Paintball mod? PC Want a Star Wars Blasters mod? PC One THOUSANDS of custom maps, many better than IW original ones? PC.

Gamesize - 16v16 is easy, and GREAT FUN. 12v12 is AWESOME. 32v32 is CRAZY! 9v9 is ... well.. fun but also a little slow on large maps. lot of quiet walking and sneaking, but not so much shooting. I guess older people like that more since they have poor reflexes ... Oh wait, I'm 39..

Community - On PC since you can favorite a server, you can get to know people you play with all the time and become friends, even if you are in different clans. At Quakecon is the only place IRL I've ever met a number of friends, and on consoles you can't find the same person again usually for weeks or months unless you friend them, so you don't really get to know people who are not on your friend list, or make new friends easily. A lot of communities have been built around popular servers on PC.

There is so much more but I have to go.

I bought it because of just how insanely awesome MW1 was. MW1 made me sit on the edge of my seat for most of the game. From the moment I dropped to the ship on the ocean, I was hooked.

I expected MW2 to be much like that, but it was not. I really do not see any replay value in the Single Player game. I replayed MW1 SP about a dozen times.

I am now going to test out MW2 MP and see if it is better than MW1's MP.

With m-ITX becoming so popular with boards like the 9300-ITX or the new DFI P55 mITX one coming out, its quite possible to have a performance PC with near console-like dimensions. Hell with the X-Box 360 controllers working out of the box with Vista/7 you can have a console-like playing experience on a PC too.

I already use my wireless 360 gamepad with my PC, ditto my HORI fighting stick, plug & play with Vista and Windows 7. I am also fully aware of all of the mini ATX and mini ITX boards out there, although the size of good video cards, almost as long as a 360 or a PS3, means that the case will need to be large enough to fit it.

If I was to build an HTPC it would be with this case: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=GD04&area=

Roughly the same dimensions as my Marantz pre-pro and amplifier. Not small like my consoles but not outrageously sized either.

The important part of my post though is the mental hurdle for most people, they simply don't think to hook a computer up to a television. A satellite box or a game console, sure, people don't give that a second though. HTPCs are a completely different matter, a subset of the hardware enthusiast subset if you think about it.

Is it possible? Absolutely. Would most people considering putting a PC with an OS and everything in their living room? In almost most cases, no. I would, but I love toys. And would it cost more than a console which would look almost as good? By a factor of three or four, absolutely.

It wasn't socom. Ya in FPS and RTS kb/mouse is better. I prefer a gamepad for platformers, fighting games, or sports games though.

Yes. FPS on a console is completely ridiculous. Absolutely no accuracy is required. Simply aim in the general direction of your target and you'll score a hit. It almost has to be that way because the "all or nothing" movement of buttons do not allow precise aiming. Thus, the dumbing down moniker that console games get.

I do prefer to "paddle mash" on fighting games on consoles but games of this nature bore me to tears after 10 mins. The console is my preferred medium with sporting games.

Have you noticed that graphics on PC games have more or less stagnated over the last few years? That's because the high end target for developers is making a game run smoothly on the 360 and PS3, and the mainstream target is making WoW run smoothly on the millions of econoboxes out there. The PC version will look better in high end hardware but it is nothing like the exponential leap in fidelity you had between the two in the late 90s or before 2006.

Again, I recognize that while what you say is true to an extent, reality dictates that people are very happy to spend on a console what I pay for a video card alone, plug & play into a TV that they already have, and play games that look objectively excellent with all of their other friends that did the same thing, on an online social network that Microsoft did an amazing job with. Its why you have games like CoD4, which was made for PCs, sell under 400,000 copies while the 360 version broke 14 million. Simple economics.

The PC is my platform of choice but I'm not living in a world of denial either.

While I agree 100 percent with all of this....IW could have left us PC FPS players a dedicated server option...that's all that's keeping me from buying this game. That's it. Nothing else, I can deal with the subpar graphics, lack of console commands, no lean, limited player counts, etc.

It would not have cost them anything really, to lease a dedicated server option in, and still allowed the bajillions of console zombies to do exactly what they are doing now....

Really? Lets look at 5 areas. COD4:MW

Interface - Ask any Developer. I've talked to several. Mouse and keyboard is more accurate, and more responsive than any console controller. Not to mention with a G15 or like keyboard you can macro in a LOT of things, from text, to console commands, to weapon tricks.

Competition - PCs with private servers let you have FAIR and EVEN fights on neutral ground, no one having an advantage, and custom game mods for different tournaments, allowing better more balanced competitive game play. Consoles use hosted games, so one player or players always have an advantage, and do not allow for much if any competitive play.

Customization - Want a riffle only, or sniper only server? PC. Want a Paintball mod? PC Want a Star Wars Blasters mod? PC One THOUSANDS of custom maps, many better than IW original ones? PC.

Gamesize - 16v16 is easy, and GREAT FUN. 12v12 is AWESOME. 32v32 is CRAZY! 9v9 is ... well.. fun but also a little slow on large maps. lot of quiet walking and sneaking, but not so much shooting. I guess older people like that more since they have poor reflexes ... Oh wait, I'm 39..

Community - On PC since you can favorite a server, you can get to know people you play with all the time and become friends, even if you are in different clans. At Quakecon is the only place IRL I've ever met a number of friends, and on consoles you can't find the same person again usually for weeks or months unless you friend them, so you don't really get to know people who are not on your friend list, or make new friends easily. A lot of communities have been built around popular servers on PC.

There is so much more but I have to go.

There IS life outside of the fps, ya know. ;) You're acting like I don't game on my PC or something, as if I don't understand what the advantages are. Believe me, I do - as I've stated - but what I also have under my belt is actual console gaming experience, and aside from first person shooters, the console currently offers the best gaming experience based on the GAMES available. While I appreciate the few good first person shooters available for my PC, the gaming "advantage" ends there.

When I wanna play a good fps or get some editing, web browsing and media encoding done, I use my PC. But, when I want a wide selection of different genres and titles available for me to choose from, it's console time. ;) That's the glory of not being a fanboy of a particular platform - I get the advantage of being able to play all the good console games, and I get to play all of the good PC titles as well. It's win-win. Anyone "stuck" on strictly the PC or strictly consoles loses, IMO. You're automatically neutering your choices and limiting good gaming experiences.

So enjoy gaming strictly on your PC, and I'll enjoy having the best of all worlds. :p

There IS life outside of the fps, ya know. ;) You're acting like I don't game on my PC or something, as if I don't understand what the advantages are. Believe me, I do - as I've stated - but what I also have under my belt is actual console gaming experience, and aside from first person shooters, the console currently offers the best gaming experience based on the GAMES available. While I appreciate the few good first person shooters available for my PC, the gaming "advantage" ends there.

Really? Oblivion ring a bell? What about MMOs? EvE Online I've been in MASSIVE battles larger than you can imagine. The only area where I like console play is arcade style games (mostly because I never have finished my MAME Box) and driving games. PCs have MAJOR advantages in EVERY OTHER AREA.

Really? Oblivion ring a bell? What about MMOs? EvE Online I've been in MASSIVE battles larger than you can imagine. The only area where I like console play is arcade style games (mostly because I never have finished my MAME Box) and driving games. PCs have MAJOR advantages in EVERY OTHER AREA.

Seriously? Oblivion?! Um, does the Xbox 360 ring a bell? :p Yeah, I'm just gonna end this conversation here. Go read my post(s) again. Owning a nice PC+consoles is the ONLY way to play all of the best games. If you limit yourself to just PC, you're losing out. If you're limiting yourself to just consoles, you're losing out. If you stick to one platform, you're severely limiting yourself.

So, again, enjoy sticking to one platform and losing out. :p

So..............is the game any good????:eek::eek::eek:

I got it for 360. Several of my friends are creaming their pants over it. I find myself wanting to play Borderlands instead.

Its not bad, its about what i was expecting.

Seriously? Oblivion?! Um, does the Xbox 360 ring a bell? :p Yeah, I'm just gonna end this conversation here.

Oblivion is actually a great example. Look how static the game experience is on console vs what you can do with the game on PC. Every feature of the game on PC can be enhanced with mods or replacement files, including graphics and sound, to the point where you can be playing basically a different game.

I'll be honest I was one of the voices in the "boycott MW2 for PC" crowd. But my COD4 clan were early adopters. From their observations it was just as good as MW. So I swallowed my pride and ordered it off of steam the other day.

I think the game is fun. The single player missions are just as much fun as the original MW, IMO. The Multi-Player will take some getting used to though.

For starters I have yet to discover how to join or invite a friend into a game that is already underway. Maybe I have been unlucky but in the short time I have been playing that hasn't been an option. I can invite before jumping into a server but that's it.

Secondly, having the "host" decide to leave and force the game to pause for several seconds is just annoying. It would be nice if the game let you know you were the host (perhaps forcing you to feel some sort of obligation to finish the round). Otherwise, no real lag issues YET. But I am guessing many PC users are waiting for reviews before purchasing, like me. Once they do I expect some increased lag over the IW network (growing pains).

Lastly, just a general annoyance, the game is obviously dumbed down. The red dot reticule takes up half the screen on some weapons and OH MY GOD how many times do I have to shoot someone in the head before they go down? Being a Hardcore fan in which one or two shots will do, this half a clip crap has got to go. Sadly without dedicated servers we are pretty much screwed. And what is up with the over the top blurred vision and heart beat when you get hit? Maybe since I have played Hardcore so much I am not used to it anymore but damn it really sucks!

Anyway, it's hard to justify any game at $60 but the game is pretty good and if the high price helps them make up any monetary losses from MW1 then all the better, I think the developers deserve some credit.

I got it for the PC. I am enjoying it and will for quite some time. I only play these games on Veteran level so it will take me much longer than 5 or 6 hours. The only thing I miss so far is the ability to lean. Why take that out? Oh well.

I see a lot of people on here upset over the price. I don't see $60 as being cost prohibitive. Hell, I'm 40 years old. If I could not afford $60 for a piece of entertainment that I will play through at least ten times on the hardest level over the next year, then I would start looking for a better job. It's Friday and tonight I will spend $60 on drinks just for me, maybe more. That doesn't include my wife's drinks, our dinner, and the entry fee to the comedy club tonight. Oh and then there is the car service.

So let's see. We'll spend about $400 for 6 hours of drinking, eating, laughing, and riding. Then tomorrow I'll wake up and continue playing my $60 game. I just don't see the problem.

What I guess I'm reading, is that there were very high expectations for this game.

The same formula of "console first" seems to have been followed, and many PC players are a bit aggrevated at how multiplayer is being run???? Am I close???

I'd like to see a breakdown of the early returns of sales: consoles vs. PC......I'm guessing the console sales are pretty amazing.:eek:

Since I'm a PC guy and don't really like consoles (controls drive me nuts) for FPS......I guess I'm going to buy a copy for the PC once the hoopla has settled.

I'm going to download it from Steam tonight....I need to see for myself how the game is.
if I don't like it, I wont play it .its not really a big deal, I have bought many games I didn't like..only way to find out it to buy it and play it.

can you imagine if this was a pc exclusive the hardware sales would be through the roof

my prestige edition is sitting in its box still...im playing borderlands still.
as for the bitching back and forth...i game on both systems and enjoy both equally.

I picked up the game for the Xbox 360 and I am LOVING it. For the record, I own a PC, 360, and PS3, and I use all three on reasonable occasion.

I opt'd to purchase for the 360 since the majority of my friends are on there and it was just simply by choice. I was a little bummed with no dedicated servers, but not enough for me to boycott it. I've played PC gaming for the past 10 years, I realize a KB/M is far superior but I love the casual plug-in-play simplicity of the 360, and the fact that I can relax on my couch with my favorite drink, infront of my 50" HDTV fragging a bunch of angry 15 year olds is just comedy gold for me. :D I love how angry they get.

The campaign was short, and IW stated that this game is primarily a multi-player game, the SP is more of an extra addition, but I enjoyed the short popcorn action story and racked up some easy achievements for blowing through it on Veteran (Which I may add, is by far and bar none the easiest CoD veteran mode to date.. really watered down).

Loving the multi-player, it takes me less then a minute from turning on my 360 to sitting on my couch to jump into a game and start fragging.. its good fast paced action and really easy to play.. nothing to complain for me.

I still play PC gaming quite frequently actually. I still play DotA with friends, unreal tournament 2k4, and the occasional CS 1.6 game. I also play L4D for PC, TF2, and RA3.. so I am in no means a console fanboy or a MW2 fanboy.

I agree with many posters here, younger people these days have no idea what online gaming is. And most probably don't know about dedicated servers or are aware of host advantage, but I don't care. I'm having fun. I remember the days of running TFC and CS servers on my old linux machine, so I've been there and done that.. great times.

Until then, I'll continue enjoying whopping up on all the tomato cans online, I'm already at a 1.73 K/D ratio and rising quickly. :D

let me see, I lose dedicated servers which was in previous incarnation of the series and the price is higher. Does not compute to pay more for less. Skip, gonna play DA:O and coop in Borderlands instead.

Back