Modern Warfare 2 and The Rock.

zamardii

2[H]4U
I still am playing this game and there's a part I just entered which is called "The Shower Room," and looking at it, it is taken right from the movie The Rock. The high cover/walkways on top, the way the showers look, and your fellow marines in basically the same wet suit gear like in the movie...

I thought that was very awesome. I always said that The Rock would make a really good game and this is as close to it as i've gotten so far. It was a welcome surprise. There have so far been a couple scenes which I can readily identify out of certain movies which gave it a nice cinematic feel.

They've been doing this in Call of Duty games for years now, dating back to the original (which featured the hill scene from Enemy at the Gates) ...

Yea, they take cool stuff that would be fun to play, then do their best to make a story fit. That's why the story sucks really, really hard, but it's somewhat fun to play.

They do it in alot of video games.

Although I thought World at War was MUCH more of an Enemy at the Gates ripoff than CoD 1. Heck, even the decoy helmet and such...

We're stuck on an island with a bunch of violence-for-pleasure-seeking psycophatic marines, SHAME-ON-THEM!

This was a post in Genmay like a week ago. And heres what we learned about it....

I'll take pleasure in guttin' you,... BOY.

Yep, you'll think of 'The Rock' again later in the game as well, in an American mission.

What about the helo lift right after that shower scene? Holy hell that was one of the coolest exits in a game ever!

i love the movie the rock and

I'd - take - pleasure - in - guttin you ...................................BOY!

In a singing voice of course

I still am playing this game and there's a part I just entered which is called "The Shower Room," and looking at it, it is taken right from the movie The Rock. The high cover/walkways on top, the way the showers look, and your fellow marines in basically the same wet suit gear like in the movie...

I thought that was very awesome. I always said that The Rock would make a really good game and this is as close to it as i've gotten so far. It was a welcome surprise. There have so far been a couple scenes which I can readily identify out of certain movies which gave it a nice cinematic feel.

I thought the same thing when I was in the shower scene (hmm this looks familiar, movie familiar). Too bad Capt. Price looks nothing like Sean Connery :p.

You guys do know that all of the MP maps are the exact ones that were submitted by fans for a CoD4 mapping contest, right? IW did little to nothing, put out the winning maps from that contest as a MW2 bundle, and called it a day. The people who developed those maps... well... they got nothing.

IW took down all the info from their site of course. You would have to find some place that had screenshots of the winning maps of the infinity ward sponsored MW map modding contest. There are tons of links to the actual contest being listed in various news forums, but little links to when the winners were announced and who/what they were. I just remember seeing the winning maps in screenshots, and then seeing them as I play MW2.

You guys do know that all of the MP maps are the exact ones that were submitted by fans for a CoD4 mapping contest, right? IW did little to nothing, put out the winning maps from that contest as a MW2 bundle, and called it a day. The people who developed those maps... well... they got nothing.
Maybe that's why they have a map that is an almost exact recreation of mp_carentan from the FIRST CoD, lol. I played that map a few times and kept thinking, "How the hell do I know my way around this map when I've never played it before...?" I laughed a bit when I figured it out.

An excellent tribute and with music from Hans Zimmer playing in the background no less.

unfortunately the gameplay experience was really bad, had to re-load a number of times due to stupid lucky enemy grenades, riot shield people launching themselfs into your face from now where while constnatly being shot from all angles.

Im a seasoned FPS gamer and was playing on 2 of 4 difficulty and I had to reload that a good few times, the battle was crap.

Im a seasoned FPS gamer and was playing on 2 of 4 difficulty and I had to reload that a good few times, the battle was crap.

Uh, what? MW2 is by far the easiest of the CoD series. Veterans was a walk in the park compared to CoD4/WaW, it felt like I was playing on Normal.

Uh, what? MW2 is by far the easiest of the CoD series. Veterans was a walk in the park compared to CoD4/WaW, it felt like I was playing on Normal.

98% of the game was easy but several parts you had to resort to lame tactics to beat like hiding in a corner spamming grenades flashes and tubes.

it's like some of the completely unreasonable difficulty spikes in DAO, it's like sometimes these things aren't play tested all that well.

I'll chime in that they somebody on the team had "The Rock" on the brain a few times in this game. I liked the homages they paid in those regards.

Anybody catch the reference to "Red Dawn" in the first American mission on US soil?

'wolverines!'

I think the difficulty is acceptable on veteran in this one. World at War is goddamned near unbeatable in parts, CoD 3 I gave up on in Veteran mode, and CoD4 was brutal in certain levels with checkpoints tied to timers.

MW2 is much more palatable, but there were spots when I beat it on normal, certain chokepoints that were set up that were a lot more difficult than the rest of the campaign.

The higher difficulties in these games have always been a war of attrition, more of a "how many times will you bang your head against this wall to get through it" than a true testament to skill or tactics. Thank goodness no more infinite enemy respawns.

Favela was bad enough, imagine if they had infinite enemies on that one?

Have they really got rid of the infinite enemy spawning? I just finished the game on Recruit on the 360 (just hired it for two days, haven't decided what platform I'm getting it for yet) and am thinking of giving Veteran a go but CODs 2 and 4 almost took my sanity due to enemies continually spawning until you crossed some imaginary line in the linear level. If this is gone, I might be more inclined to give Veteran a bash.

And why do people think The Rock is worth "paying homage" to? Because it's Michael Bay's only passable movie? Better not answer that, or the thread might get moved to the pay-to-post area...

They've been doing this in Call of Duty games for years now, dating back to the original (which featured the hill scene from Enemy at the Gates) ...
The took a lot from Enemy at the Gates. My favorite was crossing the river in the boats, getting strafed by Stukas, and then every other man getting a rifle from the back of the trucks. I especially liked how they made it impossible for you to get a position in line where you could get a rifle.

Yea. But in the Rock, everybody in the shower got WTFPWNED, and there weren't any enemies down in the showers.

Have they really got rid of the infinite enemy spawning? I just finished the game on Recruit on the 360 (just hired it for two days, haven't decided what platform I'm getting it for yet) and am thinking of giving Veteran a go but CODs 2 and 4 almost took my sanity due to enemies continually spawning until you crossed some imaginary line in the linear level. If this is gone, I might be more inclined to give Veteran a bash.

And why do people think The Rock is worth "paying homage" to? Because it's Michael Bay's only passable movie? Better not answer that, or the thread might get moved to the pay-to-post area...

From what I can tell, or could tell, from playing the game through on normal, and then applying some different tactics so far in veteran, yes, for the most part, it's gone. There are some parts in the game that do make use of infinite enemy spawns, but they aren't the kind that really lock you up (again, so far as I can tell)

Certain set piece areas for sure do, the beginning level in Afghanistan does, at least until you kill the RPG enemies, then the level progresses. In the Favela,
where you chase the number two guy, I was afraid that I would run up against it, but I noticed that if you kill certain enemies it checkpoints you, and no new ones appear behind.

It still has some parts that are hard as balls though.

The Rock thing, I just think the movie had some epic moments, and like most action movies it's not a deep thinker movie. Seeing them done in the game just makes me grin. I've also noticed a lot of referential "Enemy at the Gates" moments in their WWII games as well.

Anyone who has taken the actual tour can tell you that is a spooky place.

We went about 3 years ago as it was getting dark... not a neat place to be for much longer than a few hours for sure.

There's been a couple of games that have copied the shower scene from The Rock. I remember BLACK had a level that copied it and I'm sure another game did too which I can't remember off the top of my head.

MW2 was nothing but movie scenes. Starting off with Blackhawk Down, moving on to some James Bond, then on to Red Dawn.

The story was ok at best, bordering on mailing it in.

There's been a couple of games that have copied the shower scene from The Rock. I remember BLACK had a level that copied it and I'm sure another game did too which I can't remember off the top of my head.

and Rainbow Six 3 (I remember the WP grenades :p).

Last edited:
and Rainbow Six 3 (I remember the WP grenades :p).

Oh yeah, thats right, BLACK and Rainbow Six 3 had the shower scene, I never got into that game for some reason, lol.

losers always whine about their best, winners go home and fuck the prom queen

Lol Shawn Connery ia awesome.

Who's carla and why dont you want her to come to sanfrancisco? You're on a need to know, and you don't need to know.

WOOOOOOOOF!!!!!!

Lol

You need to watch more action movies.
Naw, dude. I've hated pretty much everything Michael Bay has done since, but The Rock is fucking awesome, for whatever reason. I'm willing to accept that maybe there's some nostalgia to it, but I can't really think of anything that tops it: Die Hard With A Vengeance possibly ties it.

Yeah, I was expecting Ed Harris to come out and start yelling at me about his superior tactical position at that point in the game.

Yeah, I was expecting Ed Harris to come out and start yelling at me about his superior tactical position at that point in the game.

That doesnt give you the right to mutiny!!

You call it what you want. Your down there we're up here. You walked into the wrong godam room sailor.

Back