Modern Onboard Audio vs. SB Audigy Platinum

potroast

Limp Gawd
The last time I used onboard audio was back in around 99 with my P3 and CA810E (yeah, I know)... Anyway, it was BAD!

So, for all my systems since then, I've just been using the same SB Audigy Platinum... My question is, how has onboard audio progressed? It used to buzz and click when you moved the mouse and did stuff. Does it still do that? My SB Audigy Platinum is getting dated, and with the audio controls now located on teh front of new cases, is it worth it to continue using the Audigy? Is it worth upgrading to an Audigy 2? Or is onboard good enough to try?

My system is connected to a Panasonic home theater (components) system with 4 satelites, a center channel, and a sub. Unfortuantly it's Dolby Pro Logic. If that matters, any.

First find the specs of your current motherboard. My onboard is almost better than my Audigy 2zs. I even have a coaxial digital hookup on my motherboard that I am not using. I use my audigy2zs because I am a game a holic with a kickass speaker setup. Klipsch GMX D 5.1 str8 rockin the house with the doom3 or the uto4.

Gotta get my uto4 instagib fix here soon.

right now I have an MSI nForce2-ILSR.

I would be looking at some type of NF3/NF4 for my upgrade -- either MSI or ABit (I can't stand asus -- bad experiences)

potroast said:

I would be looking at some type of NF3/NF4 for my upgrade -- either MSI or ABit (I can't stand asus -- bad experiences)

Go with MSI I bet this board will have way better sound than an audigy.

potroast said:

I believe that NF4 may bring back Soundstorm. In which case the onboard woul dbe much much better using the optical out. But that's only useful if you have an Optical capable reciever.

Of course I could be wrong about the Soundstorm thing.

Back