Modding Battle Wounds - Got Any?

malicious

Supreme [H]ardness
Well i'll start

this thread was prompted by my trip to the eye doctor today .. 10,000rpm rotory tool = tiny pieces of high speed metal.

They dug a chunk out of my eye to remove the metal and now it hurts like hell..

it happed three days ago and i barely noticed it ... but when a tiny spec didn't go away I figured it was time to get it looked at...

word to the wise .. use eye protection when modding..

anybody else have a good modding battle story?

no .. i was lucky that it didn't go into the ahhhhh... black part (pupil?) .. it was in the color part ... was pretty deep though they had to dig for it ... yikes..

No Kidding... How the fuck did you not notice for 3 days!
:eek:

The Best I have done today is a 2 cm long 1 cm deep gash on my palm from sharp metal edge.

i cut the piece on monday night at that time i noticed something flew in my eye but i just rubbed it and kept cutting...

tuesday morning my eye was red and sensitive to light and it just felt like something was in your eye.. so i flushed it and it felt better ..

wednesday morning it felt even better but there was a little black spec on the color part.. wednesday night my wise father told me that the eye heels quickly and if something is in your eye it can grow over it and get infected ....

thursday morning i'm at the eye doctor and he's going at it with his diging tool...

it hurts 10x more now than before i went..

mal

yeah but you got it out. which would you rather have? a temporary hurt eye or permanent vision loss?

when i read "battle wounds" i though "oh cool, someones gonna attempt to make bullet style impacts in a case, complete with scorch marks, bent metal and everything else"

glad youre okay though. that sucks.

i remember watching a video in engines class that taught about eye protection...they showed the surgery of somepen who apparently got copper shards in their eye. apparently some kid fainted while watching it during a different period then mine.

eye protection. very important.

Eeeeep. I'm literally cringing thinking about what happened. Good to hear that you're okay though.

WOW - u were lucky there, ive been modding my case and when i was cutting my blow hole, i had metal bits flying everywhere but never thought of wearing goggles, jus cudnt be asked to wear it - u never think that this would happen - i think i will next time

Get well soon mate :)

A 5/8" long scar on both thumb nuckles and another 1/8" one from cutting zipties with a dull knife. 3 seperate occasions. I now carry a coldsteel nightforce and haven't hurt myself since. :)

AY786 said:
WOW - u were lucky there, ive been modding my case and when i was cutting my blow hole, i had metal bits flying everywhere but never thought of wearing goggles, jus cudnt be asked to wear it - u never think that this would happen - i think i will next time

Get well soon mate :)

I always think about it, and if I'm doing anything that remotely might end up with something in my eye, I always have eye protection. I don't even bike without sunglasses on for fear of bugs/other debris.

I have no battle scars from modding. I've scraped myself on bad case edges before, but nothing lasting or noteworthy. I also haven't done much, though. :p

malicious said:
this thread was prompted by my trip to the eye doctor today .. 10,000rpm rotory tool = tiny pieces of high speed metal.

Been there done that . I feel for ya man , it hurts like hell . I learned that lesson when I was 10 , cutting out throwing stars from steel plate , with a jigsaw...I had an eyepatch for a week....No lasting damage tho.

Eye protection is now the first thing on the list of ANY project I do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as modding injuries : Nothing but the standard minor cuts and scrapes .Stuck my finger in the ole CPU fan once....that was a decent cut.

:D

I was working at a drill press holding the thing I was putting a hole in in my hand. The drill bit like exploded or something and broke the PVC I was drilling. From now on I'm using clamps and eye protection.

I am a machinist, and i get cuts on my hands often. But, what i never do is not wear my safety glasses. I dont want to loose the ability to come home and check my girlfriend out.

Yikes..hope your eye gets better...

As for me, the worst (not really bad) was when i was recently transplating my rig from a Wavemaster to a Stacker 830W....during the transplant, i didnt really feel anything...Did it fine and all..

The next day, I was going to give my cousin my old Wavemaster...upon closer inspection there were dried blood blotches all over it...looked at my hands to find littles slits and nicks all over :p :p same for my 830W..

Aluminum loves naked skin :p

omg, that eye thing is vicious! Everybody always warns agaisnt nto wearigfn eye protection, but sometimes it takes an example to get hte poitn across!

luckilly I've never had any injuries THAT bad, but I ALWWAYS get hurt during modding.

Recently, I have been remodeling my case compeltely. The predominant mod is the window. From cutting the plexiglass, i tried picking off the little burss with my finger and got plenty of plastic splinters.

Then when I was cutting the chrome edge molding with soem wire cutters, i somehow missed the edge molding and caught my figner instead. This lead to me finishing everything else with one hand.

Sicne the window didnt quite clear some corners of my case, I had to take my rotary tool to it and MAKE it fit. Luckilly I didn't suffer any injuries from the cut off disks, but I did grab metal parts prematurely and gave myself some pretty nasty burns.

And I did burn myself multiple times with compressed air. I have numerous scars. Needless to say, I learned my lesson.

I have a really nasty scar on my right hand between my index and middle finger where I owned myself with a sharp piece of metal. It was really deep and bled a hell of a lot. Other than that, my numerous cuts from metal (too many to count) have healed up without marks. For a while, my the toe next to my big toe (index toe?) was messed up on my right foot from kicking a shitty case in when the primer wouldn't stick to the metal.

and he's going at it with his diging tool...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

*shudders*

I have a spec of metal in my eye that has healed over. I'm fine. I still have 20/17 vision and it's a great conversation piece!

On my old Antec SX1040B-II, I was power sanding off the enamel paint indoors, and didn't wear any sort of breating apparatus.

For the next three days, I was spitting and blowing out black shit.

It was probably all worth it in the end, with a kickass chameleon paint job. I don't think I'll use those 5 years at the end of my life anyway

Other than that, a few knicks, scrapes, gouges, and stabbings with screw drivers.. definately a need for eye protection as I've had a few steel filings hit my eye lids and lashes.

Experience comes only after the time you needed it.

I was going at it once with a Jewlers Saw (think 'mini hacksaw') and the bit broke... since the saw works on tension it spring open and then back down again. Before I knew it I had the jewler's saw with metal shavings down to the bone on my index finger, about a millimeter from my cuticle. The worst part was that the teeth were angled the wrong way (sticking up towards the skin from the inside)... I had to use a pair of pliers to push the teeth back out of my skin and yank it out... yeah it hurt, now I keep my damned hands as far away from anything I'm cutting.

I think I've had the xacto knife go through my skin more times than I've got it to make a good cut... and definitely have had the old metal shaving in the eye, went out and got some goggle soon afterwards too.

synaps3 said:
For a while, my the toe next to my big toe (index toe?) was messed up on my right foot from kicking a shitty case in when the primer wouldn't stick to the metal.

lmao...violence is ALWAYS the answer when it comes to case modding. ;) :p

Arcygenical said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

*shudders*

I have a spec of metal in my eye that has healed over. I'm fine. I still have 20/17 vision and it's a great conversation piece!

till it decides to get infected one day ... or you need an mri .. best of luck with that though .. wish i didn't have to go in yesterday

Heh, I recently gave myself a 'battle wound' - I was drilling a hole into an altoid tin so I could put a CMoy amp into it, and the drill tip slid and gave me a nice long, curly cut below my thumb. Just took 1 or 2 layers of skin right off in a comma shaped path.

Im very lucky all my wounds are minor and just go away. Probably a result of reading all the wounds here O_O

Seriously. I never used my Dremel without googles after reading about centripital acceleration of a reenforced cutting wheel going airborn.
And I guess my brain's self-preservation circuit works well because I have watched my soldering iron slide off the table a few times and instead of grabbing it I just let it fall...

I think the yuckiest I have read about was the one where the guy said "A sharp knife is safer than a dull one unless it goes into your finger" or something like that. That was uh... graphic and sounded as unplesant as that jeweler's saw one. I think he said spent hours sharpening the knife to cut plastic and it cut through his fingernail to bone like butter >_< yesh.

the only wound i got was from when i was dremeling on my old case to put a few cuts in the mobo try to run wires through when i was done i grabed ahold of the loose piece and sliced my hand open then i wasnt bein carefull and i gashed open my arm on the hole i dremeled

I did pretty much the same thing as the OP. I got a chunk of metal in my eye the first day I had the dremel. It was another 4 days before I went to the Eye Doc. I thought I had just scratched it.

At least until that 3rd day when it just started KILLING me. The pain was immense. By the 4th day I knew I had to go to the Dr. He checked it out, and I had gotten a sliver of metal stuck in my cornea, and it had begun to RUST!! I had a ring of rust in my eye around the metal from a case. So he removed the metal, and ground the rust out of my eye with....basically a Dremel!!!

Anyway, Long story slightly shorter, I always, always, always wear eye protection now. I have a blurry spot in the middle of my right eye, but at least I can see again.

Randy

malicious said:
Well i'll start

it happed three days ago and i barely noticed it ... but when a tiny spec didn't go away I figured it was time to get it looked at...

word to the wise .. use eye protection when modding..

anybody else have a good modding battle story?

i don't know.. i really don't feel bad for you... i never ever ever ever operate machinery without eye protection.. how could you just put yourself in such danger...

I'm a bit of an idiot especially when I started modding :). I bought a pair of metal nibbler/shears and use it to try and cut through my thermaltake case which is like .8 gauge steel and it was quite painful after a while. I bruised the bones on my hand. hurt like hell for 2 weeks. Also every time I stick my hand in my case I have a few new cuts on my hand. allot of blood has been spilt inside my case :(

Is blood conductive? ^_^

:rolleyes:

Interesting point Mal... I'll get a PET scan, or an fMRI... don't wanna go blind!

oh man bad story lol.. sorry but not using eye protection with power tools is plain stupidity, it seems like a real pain in the ass but it's worth it to save your ass :D

not a modding injury, but when i was little i stuck my thumb in my dads bench grinder. the wire brush part.. my thumb was basically a big scab for a while haha.

I bluid computers everyday for a living and usually get bitten by the cheap shit cases at least 2-3 times a week. Sometimes i dont even notice till i see the blood on my keyboard later on.

Sanded a bit of my finger with a dremel cleaning up some holes on a case, nice graze for a week.

zoidberg3001 said:
I bluid computers everyday for a living and usually get bitten by the cheap shit cases at least 2-3 times a week. Sometimes i dont even notice till i see the blood on my keyboard later on.
been there quite a few times

Once I was working on a PC with high speed (VERY HIGH SPEED) aluminum fans; there was no fan grill on the back and the power switch wasn’t working, so I reached back to hit the switch on the PSU when...GRRRRRIIINND!!!!! Blood started gushing everywhere, and when I pulled my hand away on reflex I almost gagged at the carnage.

The tip of my index finger had been split right at the knuckle and was hanging by a thread! OOOOUUCH!!! Had to go to the hospital for that one, and I still can’t feel much in that fingertip.

zoidberg3001 said:

Sanded a bit of my finger with a dremel cleaning up some holes on a case, nice graze for a week.

where do you build pcs .. geography and company

Back