Modding 2.4ghz wireless mouse to use Bluetooth

joe7dust

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a hardware tinkering project to start on, and would like to learn how to modify firmware and write drivers.

Does anyone have experience with this? I have a 2.4ghz wireless mouse that uses pairing with a USB dongle and I'd like to be able get rid of the transceiver and use Bluetooth instead.

It's probably against some kind of of FCC regulation to modify the radio but that is half the fun right?

I know that the amount of effort involved in this will far exceed the value of a wireless mouse, but I look at it as a technical skills investment. There aren't a whole lot of people who write their own drivers/fw.

Where would I even begin to start teaching myself something like this? HF is the most technical HW resource that I can think of... but no bites yet.

That's not how this works I'm afraid. You can't take a random 2.4GHz wireless sender/receiver, tinker with the firmware and magically end up with a bluetooth unit. They're different technologies.

That's not how this works I'm afraid. You can't take a random 2.4GHz wireless sender/receiver, tinker with the firmware and magically end up with a bluetooth unit. They're different technologies.
Do they make programmable small devices that can send a lot of signals that the same radio would use? Like with an input and output and smaller/less power than a Pi Zero.

Do they make programmable small devices that can send a lot of signals that the same radio would use? Like with an input and output and smaller/less power than a Pi Zero.
I'm willing to be something like this already exists.

Might wanna dig into something like a rasberi pi or arduino. You could make a small device that receives the 2.4ghz signal then turns around and broadcasts via bluetooth.

But simply swappin hardware will likely never work (these things are propietary and not plug and play like swapping in and out a pci-e card!)

Might wanna dig into something like a rasberi pi or arduino. You could make a small device that receives the 2.4ghz signal then turns around and broadcasts via bluetooth.

But simply swappin hardware will likely never work (these things are propietary and not plug and play like swapping in and out a pci-e card!)

Ideally I would like to modify or rewrite the firmware that is on the chip which controls to radio. I believe bluetooth actually use the same 2.4Ghz ranges or very close to 2.4Ghz wifi at least.

Back