Modders Intend to Recreate Fallout 2 in Fallout 4's Engine

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Last month, a group of modders announce their intention to mod Fallout 2 into Fallout 4, Large scale-ambitious mods for Bethesda games are pretty common, and many such projects fizzle out before any sort of meaningful release, but today, the "Project Arroyo" modders uploaded several screenshots of their work so far to try and dissuade critics. Apparently, they've finished "remastering" the town of Modoc in Fallout 4, and are looking for more team members to help with Vault City and future development in general. As can be expected, the modders are still facing some skepticism, but their goal isn't impossible either. Large scale expansion mods like Fallout: New California and some Beyond Skyrim projects have made it to the finish line, while the hugely ambitious Morroblivion "port" is more or less complete and legal. Only time will tell if we can ever play Fallout 2 in a more modern engine, but I know plenty of gamers that would kill for such an experience.Thanks to Eurogamer for the tip.

Fallout 2 became my favorite Fallout game when I began playing it. The branching quest lines, dynamic stories, and the immersive universe all called my name, however there was one problem for me. That is the games isometric and outdated game play. It is a treasure trove of unique and interesting stories hidden behind an old engine. We want to bring back the game in it's full deserved glory from top to bottom. We will be adding the skills, perks, weapons, locations, NPCs, and everything in between for the full experience. Our team has been working incredibly hard and we have managed to finish our first town, Modoc.

I'm perfectly fine with this, as long as they don't keep FO4's boring-ass grinds to find parts and pieces spread across the wasteland in order to build up settlements. I got about 30 hours into FO4 and completely lost interest because of getting burned out from the all the grinding.

Fallout just needs to die off already. There's so many and much better gaming options to the style of gameplay you get.

I'm perfectly fine with this, as long as they don't keep FO4's boring-ass grinds to find parts and pieces spread across the wasteland in order to build up settlements. I got about 30 hours into FO4 and completely lost interest because of getting burned out from the all the grinding.

When I played it I felt like most of what I did was the main story, maybe a few side stories that sounded interesting. I didn't do crap for settlements to be honest, the interface for building annoyed me so i kinda skipped as much as I could. I know by doing so I probably missed out on a lot of game hours but playing through the core was a great time and didn't feel very grindy.

I take it this is another one of those mods that will take 7 or more years to come out.

And dude needs to check his bias. First-person gameplay is much older than isometric, so if anything the former is "outdated." And isometric has made a strong comeback in the CRPG resurgence with great and popular games like Divinity: Original Sin.

This is when I just cheated and gave myself ammo n such. Finished the stories and haven't logged back in since.

There are so many of these huge mods announced years if not a decade before release. What's the point? If you are serious about building it, then build it and announce it like 6 months before release.

Obvious fake hype is obvious.

If they were smart the very first thing on the docket would be never putting down a workshop or defining a build zone. It would give them an absolutely huge performance budget to play with and (hopefully) prevent users from screwing precombines and tanking performance.
Still.. it's a 2-3 year job part-time. I wish them luck. It would be a good feather for students to use on future resumes.

I liked the fallout series but it gets boring fast. Skyrim would be a nobler task; enhance the combat system, work on the ai, pop in some new textures and throw some new quests into the mix. Still in my top 5 of all time.

Last edited:
Todd Howard is angry at the lack of micro-transactions.
700.jpg

or you could just let people play what THEY want to play instead ...
that would totally be an option.

Just ignore the console gamers. They only like a game for 3-6 months then want the next new thing.

The nice thing about pc gaming (and devs that let the community mod) as I'm sure you know is that the mods and community made content can make games last much longer and have new life or different play styles.

Finally, I'd have a reason to reload Fallout 4 on my system.

Once you explore the entire wasteland of FO4, you find there's very little to do in the game, compared to previous entries. And the writing for the main quest is the WORST i've ever seen in a Bethesda game.

So at this point, is down to "go and collect more power armor suits to hang in your workshop," while completely ignoring the pointless Fallout 4: The Sims settlement builder. That is why I haven't played it in almost three years.

Last edited:
Fallout 2 still holds my record for longest gaming marathon (80+ snowed in hours over Christmas break) and I love doing runs every couple of years with odd character builds to see what new situations I can get myself in (and out of). There's still few games that offer so many different choices that affect the world in profound and small ways, with unclear outcomes and subtleties beyond a good-evil dichotomy that's really more "goody two shoes-pointless jerk", The Witcher 3 being one of the handful. Porting the world would be a massive undertaking, but how about all the dialogue scripting and immense sets of triggers and conditions to make the world work and seem as responsive as it does?

Part of me is really excited because FO2 is the greatest pc game of all time, imo. Part of me wonders what is the point of messing with perfection. The dream would be for someone to make Van Buren, the real Fallout 3. Fallout 3, 4 and the new one are not fallout games. ATOM rpg is a fallout game, fans should try it.

Wait, isn't Fallout 2 isometric?

I got into Fallout late, with 3, and even then I got to it late in ~2011.

I haven't played an isometric title since Syndicate in like 1993, a dont think cIIcouldgo back to that format. If they make it with a 1st person mode, I'm interested.

I'd buy that, if it doesn't get sued to oblivion by Bethesda.

Last edited:
Wait, isn't Fallout 2 isometric?

I got into Fallout late, with 3, and even then I got to it late in ~2011.

I haven't played an isometric title since Syndicate in like 1993, a dont think cIIcouldgo back to that format. If they make it with a 1st person mode, I'm interested.

I'd buy that, if it doesn't get sued to oblivion by Bethesda.

I googled you question and the first result said that it was isometric. I don't understand why kids are too lazy to even google simple questions these days. I think it has to do with bad parenting.

I googled you question and the first result said that it was isometric. I don't understand why kids are too lazy to even google simple questions these days. I think it has to do with bad parenting.

That was a rhetorical question you numbnut. I knew it was isometric.

And who are you calling a kid? I bet I've been doing this shit longer than you have.

Do you have anything interesting to add to the conversation or are you just here to be combative and insulting?

That was a rhetorical question you numbnut. I knew it was isometric.

And who are you calling a kid? I bet I've been doing this shit longer than you have.

Do you have anything interesting to add to the conversation or are you just here to be combative and insulting?

If this mod gets good reviews from the community, sure you betcha ill give it a try. If it's free then even better.

Fallout 2 still holds my record for longest gaming marathon (80+ snowed in hours over Christmas break) and I love doing runs every couple of years with odd character builds to see what new situations I can get myself in (and out of). There's still few games that offer so many different choices that affect the world in profound and small ways, with unclear outcomes and subtleties beyond a good-evil dichotomy that's really more "goody two shoes-pointless jerk", The Witcher 3 being one of the handful. Porting the world would be a massive undertaking, but how about all the dialogue scripting and immense sets of triggers and conditions to make the world work and seem as responsive as it does?

As a kid, I played Fallout 2 for so long that I pissed myself.
Now beat that dedication.

I have lovely memories of buying Fallout 2 on release week, and doing a lot more gaming than classwork.

I also recall all the online discussion about the trunk of the car following you around (even when you leave the car), and trying desperately to KEEP PLAYING while NOT get the car until they fixed these bugs.

You think Fallout 3 is a buggy mess? Let me introduce you to Fallout 2. Fantasdtic game, and could really use the remake.

Last edited:
eeeh. im old enough that I thought fallout 2 was just fine the way it was. I actually played and beat fallout 3 for the first time last year? It was just kind of fine. I didnt like the combat and they really took all the charm out if what made fallout great. I played fallout 4 for about an hour felt like more of the same and just ridden with typical bethesda bugs.

If someone wanted to port fallout 2 to a newer isometrical engine Id be more excited to give it another go.

So my replies are late, but:

There are so many of these huge mods announced years if not a decade before release. What's the point? If you are serious about building it, then build it and announce it like 6 months before release.

Obvious fake hype is obvious.
Modders need to recruit others to keep big projects going, and that means going public. That aside, the publicity is also a huge motivation booster.

Where's my Skyblivion?
Progressing slowly... At some point, they decided to remake most assets from scratch instead reusing Morrowind's like morroblivion, so it's super labor intensive.

EDIT: Actually I was thinking of Skywind... Hmm, aybe Skyblivion is reusing assets?

I liked the fallout series but it gets boring fast. Skyrim would be a nobler task; enhance the combat system, work on the ai, pop in some new textures and throw some new quests into the mix. Still in my top 5 of all time.
Skyrim modders have already done that many times over...

The best mod would be fixing fps affecting game physics.
Also already done.

I hate Fallout 4 vanilla. I spent about 12 hours modding it to become a game I really enjoyed.

I dont have the energy to do that again. Thankfully, you can back all that stuff up.

Fallout 4 and Skyrim's 64 bit engine is fantastic at supporting nearly 1000 AI in combat. It looks incredible. I focused on making weapons far more realistic so an enemy dies in only a few bullets, but there are so many of them that it is still way harder.

Seeing 500 gouls rush a group of raiders is hilarious.

Or shooting a mini nuke into a horde of
300+ super mutants that is attacking a base.

But the writing and voice acting of this game suck. It feels so amateur. I used to play Bethesda games primarily for the story, and Morrowind was the last one I could get engrossed in. I thought Fallout 3's story was weak, but the world building was very good.

At this point, I'd like to see Bethesda to keep improving their game engine and get to replay all their older games. 64 bit allows modders to go crazy.

Yes, fallout 2 had bugs, but we didn't care. Why? because it was actually a great game. It was a small team with not a huge budget lovingly creating a deep epic that lasted hundreds of hours. Bugs will always be forgiven, even celebrated, in a game like that.

Yes, fallout 2 had bugs, but we didn't care. Why? because it was actually a great game. It was a small team with not a huge budget lovingly creating a deep epic that lasted hundreds of hours. Bugs will always be forgiven, even celebrated, in a game like that.

Agreed, Though now we have become very graphics driven. The game has to look prettier than anything. When so many people skip dialog and cutscenes and read spoilers to get through missions faster, I can see the desire for a story diminishing.

Though I kinda like the ideas of sandboxes where I can create my own story if there is enough stuff to do. Kind of tired of being the most important being in the entire galaxy

Fallout 2 was my favorite. Something about that game was fun and really immersive at the time. Still to this day, one of my all time favorites.

Skyrim modders have already done that many times over....

At some point I'll load up Skyrim again, can you point out the best mods for enhancing AI and Combat? Last I checked (been a few years) they were mediocre at best.

At some point I'll load up Skyrim again, can you point out the best mods for enhancing AI and Combat? Last I checked (been a few years) they were mediocre at best.

I followed this a little over a year ago (taking out a few mods), and combat was lightyears better than vanilla:

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:DarkladyLexy/Lexys_LOTD_SE

Unfortunately, that guide is... large. And significantly updated since I last followed it. Just skimming through it on mobile, I'd recommend:

-Ordinator
-Pretty much everything that looks relevant in the bugfix sections
-iAFT
-I have no personal experience with OMEGA, but it's new and looks amazing.
-Convenient Horses
-Pretty much everything in the NPCs and Behavior section
-Everything in the Combat and Traps section
-Everything in Gameplay and Magic

And that's ignoring patches and things that indirectly contribute to combat, like new armors/weapons, followers with custom AI and voice acting (I'm partial to Inigo and Dagri'Lon from 3DNPC), and the absurdly expansive content mods like Bruma and the titular LOTDB mod. Just reading through it again, the sheer scale of the Bethesda modding community boggles my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeaKr
like this
Back