Modders Bring Multiplayer to Subnautica

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
By most accounts, Subnautica is a fantastic game, and it's currently free on the Epic Games Store. But out of the box, it's strictly a singleplayer experience, meaning players are out of luck if they wish to play with a friend. But earlier this month, Subnautica modders released an open source co-op mod for the game. While it's still a little rough around the edges and isn't particularly user friendly, "Nitrox" development appears to be relatively far along, with support for a chat system, a special hud, and syncing players, power systems, buildings, certain vehicles and more. Thanks to PCGamesN for spotting the mod.

Check out a video preview of the mod here.

This mod is still in its early stages of development, and a public, easy to install version has not been released yet. Those who are keen to try can follow the guide on the wiki. This requires compilation of the mod, and injecting it into Subnautica; not suited for the faint-hearted. Until a stable version is released, this mod is not recommended for casual play. Please be patient as we work to build a great enhancement for the game. How can I contribute? Simply submit a pull request. Feel free to join us in the Subnautica Modders Discord channel. Why the name 'Nitrox'? Nitrox is an alternative air mixture, used by scuba divers, to achieve longer bottom times. As a mod, it will provide a new dimension of gameplay to extend your enjoyment.

The single player game is great. I'll be keeping an eye on this mod. Speaking of which, I need to get back to the game and finish out the story!

I really hope this pans out, this multiplayer mod has been floating around in half existance for awhile (since atleast late early access)

god i hope this doesn't get shut down because the developers claim they plan on releasing multiplayer at some point in the future but never actually doing it.

I wish someone would mod a fix for native Vive support. Right now it's like jumping on a merry go round it spins so badly.

I wish someone would mod a fix for native Vive support. Right now it's like jumping on a merry go round it spins so badly.

Hmm I have no spinning problems with the Vive (not Pro) only problem I have is having to look down to go down ( using C key to go down works but you go down blindly)

Hmm I have no spinning problems with the Vive (not Pro) only problem I have is having to look down to go down ( using C key to go down works but you go down blindly)

Hmmm. Maybe I need to use KB/M instead of Xbox controller.

god i hope this doesn't get shut down because the developers claim they plan on releasing multiplayer at some point in the future but never actually doing it.
Knowing Epic from the past, hopefully they'll be just as open to the modding community as before.

Knowing Epic from the past, hopefully they'll be just as open to the modding community as before.

well, this isnt on epic, this is on unknown worlds, the devs of subnautica, ya it uses the unreal engine, but its still up to the devs to allow it..... and so far they have more or less been a lil "grey" on the matter..... when the first multiplayer mod was being developed they said "ok, but dont hold your breath the game isnt finished yet"
then the mod devs more or less sidelined it cause everytime a update came out it broke the mod.....

beyond that, i am not up to date with whats going on....

I think a lot of people don't realize that Subnautica was released in early access in 2014 on Steam. I've been playing it and watching the scene for 4 years.

Unknown World's has said flat out many times that Multiplayer will never be added officially.

Mods though have been working in the game for many years and add a lot of cool stuff.

Anyone play Kerbal Space Program? There is a multiplayer mod (2 actually) that is pretty cool.

LunaMultiplayerMod

But it is incredibly buggy. Fun, but frustrating.

I can see this being the same. It takes so much work to make these single player games work on multiplayer and I cannot fully appreciate that.

It also sucks for these mods to try to keep up with the rapid update cycle these games recieve.

It is kinda cool... but unsure how long it will last. Props to the mod devs if they keep this up for long time.

Back