Modder puts 16GB of memory on GeForce RTX 3070

Krenum

Fully [H]
Global Chip shortage? No Problem.

Meanwhile...in Russia.

"Russian modder VIK-on has once again provided a very interesting walkthrough video demonstrating the process of upgrading a GeForce graphics card with more memory. In the latest video, he modded GeForce RTX 3070 to 16GB memory, doubling the size of the official specifications. The graphics card used by VIK-on is the Palit GamingPro model".

https://videocardz.com/newz/modder-puts-16gb-memory-on-geforce-rtx-3070-and-it-works

We used to do this a lot back in the late 90's, well, generally it was putting faster ram chips on cards and not capacity.

That is pretty awesome to see still.

good stuff. Gotta admire the tenacity...

US DIY'ers: anyone who is using less than a 3090 in the most expensive case is a noob! I don't like any mods that look "ghetto"! China! get off my lawn!

Russia DIYers: hold my vodka comrade, after I finish hand-soldering these GDDR6 chips on my brand-new GPU I'm going to build a custom Voodoo 6000 from scratch and then probably round out the day with some extreme BIOS modding with a hex editor.

Yep. A 20GB RTX 3080 would be worthwhile.
Not much is talked about how he got the drivers to see the extra memory. You can't alter the bios, at least not yet anyway. So it sounds like he tricked the drivers to see the extra memory and even then the system was unstable. I'm wondering how much it cost for the memory itself? Too bad the tools needed to change the ram cost as much as a car, because I'd like to see this become a service. An affordable service.

good stuff. Gotta admire the tenacity...

US DIY'ers: anyone who is using less than a 3090 in the most expensive case is a noob! I don't like any mods that look "ghetto"! China! get off my lawn!

Russia DIYers: hold my vodka comrade, after I finish hand-soldering these GDDR6 chips on my brand-new GPU I'm going to build a custom Voodoo 6000 from scratch and then probably round out the day with some extreme BIOS modding with a hex editor.
This feels even more pointless when we are only 3-6 months away from NVIDIA doing this officially!

Once raw-material supplies get better, expect a 3070 Super refresh (with 16GB @16gbps)

This feels even more pointless when we are only 3-6 nmonths away from NVIDIA doing this officially! Once supplies get better, expect a 3070 Super refresh (with 16GB @16gbps)
3070 Extra Super Turbo 2021 edition, 16GB @ 16gbps but it's based on a 1792-core chopped TU106 and MSRP is $999. Lines down the block on launch day!

Uh, no. All you need is a hot air rework station, which can be got for as little as $40. Flux, desoldering braid and solder is even cheaper. You don't need expensive Hakko gear to do the job, cheap Chinese tools work just fine.
And I assumed most of us here already had such tools anyways. Or maybe just the old modders do lol

Got to give respect to this group of 'new' Russian kids.
They have a 'can do' spirit with computers and computer hardware.
Lots of brilliant hardware and software mods and programs coming from that part of the world.

Back