Modded PC-V2000B modded for Zalman CNSP-7700

mr.dearthian

Limp Gawd
When over on the Overclocking/Cooling forum, I was in a thread and mentioned I had modded my Lian-Li PC-V2000B case to fit a Zalman CNSP-7700 AL-CU cpu cooler. I ordered both at the same time but made a critical error; I failed to realize how close the motherboard came to the lower wall next to the PSU chamber in this particular case (Stupid Me). I was asked to post my mod, so here it is.

Like I mentioned, I made a critical error as far as how close the motherboard came to the lower wall. Well, I love the case and I love the cooler. Something had to give. So I broke out the Dremel and did my FIRST case mod. :cool:

BEFORE anyone comments about my wiring, I DON'T CARE about my WIRING. Temps are great (33C Idle, lower 40's load, 25C case, 6800GT 48C idle, 54C load), I don't overclock, and I don't have a window. :p

Here's where I cut a portion of wall out of the wall between the CPU Chamber and PSU Chamber. I eyeballed where the cooler would probably hit, marked lines where to cut out, then hit it with the dremel. It's a little crooked, but gets the job done. Since I don't have a window or plan on having one, it doesn't have to be pretty. :D

Pic #1

Here are some other views:

Pic #2
Pic #3
Pic #4
Pic #5

Here's what's in it (not a new rig, but transplanted)
PIV 2.8ghz
Zalman 400 Watt PSU
Zalman CNSP-7700 AL-CU
Gigabyte 8KNXP motheroboard (i875)
1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
Soundblaster Audigy
Gainward 6800GT Golden Sample
2x80GB Western Digital ATA100 drives (soon to be 2x72GB Raptors)
Sony 4X DVD-RW
TDK 48X CD-RW
Pioneer Slotted 16X DVD
Floppy
Razer Boomslang mouse (Logitech MX500 died, using this till I eventually get an MX1000)
Logitech wireless keyboard

EnderW said:
you might wanna think about cleaning up your wiring ;)

Don't care about my wiring (gasp). :eek: Temps are great (see orig. post), no overclocking, no window. As long as the wires aren't interfering with any fans, it's not a big deal to me. :D

Mr.Dearthian

If you are in western canada, an mx1000 can be purchased for 80 bucks CDN at London Drugs.

I'de file straight and smooth the edges of the hole you butchered out. But other wise, good for you.

I've thought about eventually doing that the next time I have it apart (that might be sooner than later). It was definitely a quick and dirty mod. :D

Mr.Dearthian

I had to do a similar mod to my PC-V1000 case to get my OCZ ModStream powersupply to fit. I cut the opening where the power supply wires come through and also had to knock out part of the drive bay cage. So now I can only install 4 hard drives opposed to 6. Not a big deal because I don't plan on ever having more than 2 in my case.

case7.jpg

personally.. i would have grinded down the heatsink fins and not my case itself.. but oh well.. whatever works.

First off, your wiring looks horrible, you should clean it up :p ;)

I do like the idea, I would imagine it would looke cool with a window or something (where did the fan go?) But you might wanna clean up the cuts a little bit

How many times in the same thread do I have to say I Don't Care About My Wiring (see paragraph in red in initial post for reasons)!! :D

Anywho...I eventually do plan on cleaning up the cut though...probably won't have time till summer.

Mr.Dearthian

mr.dearthian said:
How many times in the same thread do I have to say I Don't Care About My Wiring

You'll have to excure most of us.....we're under the impression that everyone wants a clean case, and hell....even if my case didnt have a window and was under my desk I'd still spend hours wiring it up. :)

mr.dearthian needs to install a Sarcasm detector. By the way, you really need to clean up your wiring.

cornelious0_0 said:
You'll have to excure most of us.....we're under the impression that everyone wants a clean case, and hell....even if my case didnt have a window and was under my desk I'd still spend hours wiring it up. :)

Well, when I mention it in the initial post in red lettering...I mentioned it in the initial post so there weren't any 'clean your wiring' posts because I know how many on the forums feel about wiring. I was just wanting to show what I did to make that cooler fit. I am really not trying to be an ungrateful asshole and I apologize if I'm coming off that way. :) I'll shut up now.

Mr.Dearthian

mr.dearthian said:
Well, when I mention it in the initial post in red lettering...I mentioned it in the initial post so there weren't any 'clean your wiring' posts because I know how many on the forums feel about wiring. I was just wanting to show what I did to make that cooler fit. I am really not trying to be an ungrateful asshole and I apologize if I'm coming off that way. :) I'll shut up now.

Mr.Dearthian

No biggy, just lettin' you know that no matter how much you state things like that, there's ALWAYS gonna be people who don't care, and who'll bring it up anyways. You have to learn how to NOT let ppl's comments like that get to you, because if you plan on spending any large amount of time here *cough* and don't get past that and know what to expect then you'll eventually just go crazy. :p

cornelious0_0 said:
No biggy, just lettin' you know that no matter how much you state things like that, there's ALWAYS gonna be people who don't care, and who'll bring it up anyways. You have to learn how to NOT let ppl's comments like that get to you, because if you plan on spending any large amount of time here *cough* and don't get past that and know what to expect then you'll eventually just go crazy. :p

Gotcha'.

Futzy: The saracasm detector was out for servicing (Circuit City takes forever). :D

Mr.Dearthian

mr.dearthian said:

Good stuff, hope to see you around more, as I'm starting to shift from hanging out primary in OC and cooling and Video Cards to spend more time in the Case modding forum. ;)

Back