Modded my Headphones! no more breaks!!

WillowHawk

Gawd
dudes!!, guess what i did after posing something on here about wanting a good set of headphones...

the ones i wanted were really expensive, but they had the detachable cord thing..since my cords were always breaking after a few months, i got pissed at it, and went to radio shack...i bought a 6 foot stereo patch cable, and a pair stereo jacks.

10 mins with a exacto and a dremmel
15 mins with a soldering iron and some sand paper.

and BOOM there ya go...a perfect set of head phones that i can just detach when i need to go somewhere in a hurry, and i can use it anywhere. if the cord breaks, just go to radio shack and get another one..

so what do you guys think about a mod like this?

Nov12008.JPG

Nov12002.JPG
Nov12005.JPG
Nov12007.JPG
Nov12006.JPG

pretty simple mod for those who actually care about this stuff :D

the damage on the outside of the jack on the headphone is some superglue damage from a previous experiment

Good work!

[and actually, I have heard of somebody modding headphones before on Head-fi :D ]

Next time, I'd say pick up a pair of Sennheisers, all the models from at least 570's up have detachable cords =]

Mister X said:
Were the stock wires enamel coated?

nope, and after just a few short weeks they were broken. it had a built in mic in the cord, so i'm keeping that for the time being, but i promise that i would never buy another set of cans as long as the metal/plasic components dont snap on me.

wire problems are a thing of the past

and i'm wondering if i can do the same thing to my MX510, for transportation purposes. USB has 4 wires plus a gound, and i havent found a 5 conductor wire and a 5 conductor connector yet..

WillowHawk said:
and i'm wondering if i can do the same thing to my MX510, for transportation purposes. USB has 4 wires plus a gound, and i havent found a 5 conductor wire and a 5 conductor connector yet..

I am interested in this. Update us on your progress!

WillowHawk said:
and i havent found a 5 conductor wire and a 5 conductor connector yet..

couldn't you just use a usb connector? Get some and then solder them?

i'm thinking that a USB connect would be kind of cumbersome, not to mention there isnt enough room in the mouse for me to solder a female USB connector in there, belive me, i checked..

so far i cant find a good SMALL connector to put in there

BO(V)BZ said:
Next time, I'd say pick up a pair of Sennheisers, all the models from at least 570's up have detachable cords =]
HD497s, as well. :)

I've broken one set of cords on them (only took 4 months), and this set of cords cost me $10 from the Sennheiser website. It's much cheaper than getting entirely new headphones.

Yea, I know what you mean. between me and my brother, we've broken 5 cords for HD570's so far, and 1 for HD580's =]

BO(V)BZ said:
Yea, I know what you mean. between me and my brother, we've broken 5 cords for HD570's so far
Maybe that should tell you something about those cans. :D

Yea, I've noticed you are not a big fan of them =] Admittedly, we put them through hell, and I still use my pair, they make a great-sounding pair of earmuffs when it's cold, which it currently is here in WI.

lol sweet, but does it have any problems with running with a lower volume? like static or anything?

not at all. i was kinda afraid of that happening so i used the larger connector instead of the really really small one..**cant remember the size** but its the one used in cellphones

Back