Mod Seasonic PSU

vapb400

Gawd
I am going to buy a Seasonic Super Tornado or Silencer soon because they are at the crossroads of performance, price, and silence.

I will be sleeving it cuz cable clutter bothers me :D. I was looking at SPCR's review and they said the new versions have the 24pin cable and EPS12v compatible.

My main concern is the bulky EPS cable and 24 to 20 pin adaptor.

Could I divide the 24 Pin into a 20+4 by just adding something like this:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=1088&osCsid=077098809791984fa963a6b844c4d2a3
and just tucking it away?

12v3rb.jpg

Could I divide the EPS12v into 4+4 and drop the extension? or would It have to be 4+ (4+4) and I would just tuck the dual connector one away, as I only need one.

Thanks for the input!!!

You can certainly replace the 24 pin ATX connector with a 20 pin, but you'll be left with four wires - a 3.3V, a 5V, a ground, and a 12V1. Not really suitable for making an ATX+12V connector, you'll probably have to snip these four wires off inside the supply.

I'm not sure what you're doing exactly with the +12V connector... your choices are to either snip the 2+2 extention off the 4+4/2+2 connector that's shown, or if you only want a 2+2, you'll have to cut off both, lose half the wires (again, snip them inside the power supply) and crimp your own 2+2 connector.

k thanks, thats what i was thinking. I was talking about putting them in a 4 pin connector and just tucking them away, i know that it wouldnt be usable.

Thanks

vapb400 said:
k thanks, thats what i was thinking. I was talking about putting them in a 4 pin connector and just tucking them away, i know that it wouldnt be usable.

Thanks
Just make sure you *never* plug that 4 pin connector into something. :D

I guess snipping would be easier, is that really all you have to do? or should I add stuff to the ends of the wires? Any guides somewhere on the internet?

vapb400 said:
I guess snipping would be easier, is that really all you have to do? or should I add stuff to the ends of the wires? Any guides somewhere on the internet?
Open the PS case, and clip the wires as close to the PCB as possible - leave 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch.

Alternatively, leave an inch and put heatshrink over the end.

And alternatively again, desolder the wire from the power supply's PCB. :D

Back