Mod Brings 2.2 GB Of 2k Textures to the Original Doom Games

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Starting off my week with some good news, DOSGaming is reporting that modder hoover1979 has released an UltraHD texture pack for Doom, Doom II, Plutonia Experiment and Evilution. The pack itself is still a demo, with not all textures being replaced as of yet, but it is 5 files weighing in at 2.2GB. Check out the video below from the first version of the mod, and grab the new version here.

This is the second demo release of my work in progress UltraHD Texture pack for Doom, Doom II, Plutonia Experiment and Evilution. This pack is still a long way from completion and all textures presented in this pack are subject to change. I am teaching myself as I go, and as my skills further develop textures that aren't up to scratch with the developed skills will be remade so the utmost attention to detail and overall quality is upheld.

I know it is a texture mod, but it would be cool if they modded the interface too, so that you could flip back forth between the old and new textures.

and i thought the ppl still playing warcraft2 was bad

holy crap glad i still have an old system with a pentium 3 + voodoo 5 in it ....as that still looks better them the video shown

imho the updated textures are a nice refresh, too bad the guy recording the video ruined it with that BrutalDoom crap

Ok sure but why Doom? Even with super awesome textures it's still going to look funky because of the engine. Start at Quake 1 at least, something that actually uses an opengl engine...

Looks nice but nothing will compare to playing Doom the first time on a 486/66!! I almost wish I still had my 486/66 just to relive some of those classic day of gaming.

Ok sure but why Doom? Even with super awesome textures it's still going to look funky because of the engine. Start at Quake 1 at least, something that actually uses an opengl engine...

...probably needs a new limit removing engine like zdoom or prboom. I still fire up new/old 32 level compilations especially when I hear about some new map pack upload. Never got tired of the community that were still making new maps.

...probably needs a new limit removing engine like zdoom or prboom. I still fire up new/old 32 level compilations especially when I hear about some new map pack upload. Never got tired of the community that were still making new maps.

so just use zdoom and leave brutal out of it? I mean i think that needed more blood....

It looks pretty cool with the texture updates but the blood was just a bit much, half the time you couldn't see through it to see what you were shooting. didn't listen to the sound on the video just watched it, so I can't comment on the sound changes.

Sorry but this looks just like PrBoom....I don't see anything that looks high-res, especially 2.2GB worth. All I see is a modified blood splatter technique. The rest...ehh, looks just like DOOM on a higher resolution. None of those textures look any better to me, and I play the old doom quite a bit.

Honestly I'm 100% supportive of ANY mods for any game. This is how we made some of the greatest games of all time evolve, and get funded. My favorite texture mod of all time was Qarls texture mod/pack for Oblivion. Still the hands down best mod ever created for any game.

I know people are going to bitch and say that wah wah this texture mod is not good enough, or not the original vibe, but go and custom retexture an entire game and then come back with your armchair bitchfest.

holy crap glad i still have an old system with a pentium 3 + voodoo 5 in it ....as that still looks better them the video shown

Not in Doom it doesn't :p voodoo does nothing for a 2D game.

(I didn't watch the video...)

Edit: Ok, I watched it now. The world textures look much better than the original. They're using some kind of filter on some (like on the pinky) that make things look a bit weird. (similar to Super Eagle or some-such) The blood is a little silly too. Overall I think it's an improvement. I imagine there are settings for those texture filters that might help. Maybe the blood settings too...

Tell me this exists for Duke nukem 3d... Mmm bewbs.

This ought to tide you over

upload_2018-4-11_9-22-19.png

On topic - I watched the video and it might be my nostalgia colored glasses - but I played doom and doom II over dial up modem with my best friend growing up in the mid 90's -- several times a week after school, and I don't remember the graphics being much worse than what I just saw with the texture pack. Funny how our memories work.

This ought to tide you over

View attachment 65951

On topic - I watched the video and it might be my nostalgia colored glasses - but I played doom over my dial up modem with my best friend growing up in the mid 90's -- several times a week after school, and I don't remember the graphics being much worse than what I just saw with the texture pack. Funny how our memories work.

You can practically count the polygons

This looks worse than just loading up the vanilla game in GZDoom, in my opinion. What the hell is with the 2xSal filter on the 2D sprites? That shit looks horrible no matter what it's on. Also, Doom should never stutter like that.

This looks worse than just loading up the vanilla game in GZDoom, in my opinion. What the hell is with the 2xSal filter on the 2D sprites? That shit looks horrible no matter what it's on. Also, Doom should never stutter like that.

Oh you saw that too? I thought it was just my connection to youtube stream glitching....

Good for him I guess. I honestly have zero interest in going back and playing any of these old games, played them enough way back when. Most of that time I was imagining what games would be like in another 20 years, so...

Back