mobo will not accept manual clock

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
my guess is my mainboard is on its way to the grave, but any ideas...please lay them on me guys.

the situation is this:
system working fine, nicely overclocked on water. then after a restart i notice the CPU is back to its stock clock. thought there was an error, bios went to default, need a new battery, whatever.

except it won't accept ANY FSB setting on manual....only auto. i thought it was the overclock, but even setting it to stock settings just on manual it will not work. it tries to post, fails with no error message, restarts itself again and resets to auto FSB mode.

have tried flashing bios, clearing, pulled battery for ample time to clear bios, and even replaced the bios battery. nothing seems to help.

all other settings are at default. i'm not even overclocking at this point, just trying to get the thing to accept a manual setting. all voltages are on auto now, ram is stock speed, everything.

the system in question is an older one, but don't really want to upgrade right now - it does me just fine for my needs. here's what i have:
core 2 duo e8400 (stock is 333FSB, 3.0 Ghz. was running at a healthy 3.8Ghz before this nonsense with a voltage boost of a little over 0.1V....this is on water remember. temps were excellent)
gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L is the evil mainboard.
ati 6850 video
PSU is a corsair 650HX, so i really can't see power being an issue.
4GB ram, DDR2 800Mhz....only odd thing there is i have 2 old sticks that are OCZ from back in the day and two sticks that are newer mushkin. all clocks and timings are identical between the two sets.

any thoughts?

so i found a very strange workaround...

set my RAM divider, cpu voltage in the bios...and then set the FSB using the mainboard software....and it works. wtf!

apparently this board has a long history of doing this crap to people.

turns out the gigabyte software is giving me stuttering when any overclock applied...

i'm up shit creek here guys, need some help. don't care if its just a silly idea or not.

ok i finally tracked it down, you guys can ignore my crap which is what was happening anyways.

turns out these boards have a problem with USB external drives on startup and overclocking....odd bug. fix is to unplug the external drive on startup.

Back