Mobo that works with Opty 165 out of the box? PLZ HELP

Nathan0490

Gawd
As title says im looking for a nice motherboard that works 100% with an opteron 165.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Most 939 mobos will work with a opty 165. I have used a couple DFI's and Abit mobos no problem.

Currently running my opty on a Abit AT8 at 323*9...

plywood99 said:
Most 939 mobos will work with a opty 165. I have used a couple DFI's and Abit mobos no problem.

Currently running my opty on a Abit AT8 at 323*9...

I had a AN8-SLI Abit and it wouldnt boot with the opty 165.

RyanVM said:
You probably need to update the BIOS first.

I have no way of attempting to update the bios, are bios versions listed on the box of the motherboard?

Nathan0490 said:
I have no way of attempting to update the bios, are bios versions listed on the box of the motherboard?
uhm... what?

go to the manufacturer's website and download ;)

Nathan0490 said:
I had a AN8-SLI Abit and it wouldnt boot with the opty 165.
I've run an AN8 on the 13 BIOS (ie.original shipping for Ultra & SLI), it's just a rev. E CPU really.
Don't know what your problem was but it's atypical.
You need 15 for dual core support though (will run single core before that)

Bios re. is shown bottom left of initial BIOS boot screen or FlashMenu will tell you.

BUFF said:
I've run an AN8 on the 13 BIOS (ie.original shipping for Ultra & SLI), it's just a rev. E CPU really.
Don't know what your problem was but it's atypical.
You need 15 for dual core support though (will run single core before that)

Bios re. is shown bottom left of initial BIOS boot screen or FlashMenu will tell you.

Actually, i havent seen 1 165 opteron user that hasnt been having these problems with their an8-sli, I read the abit forums to find many others with this problem.

As to updating the bios, i cant once again because it wont boot with that cpu, i dont have spare cpus laying around :rolleyes:

Well, you could always make use of liberal return policies of local retailers, not that I'm advocating doing that.

RyanVM said:
Well, you could always make use of liberal return policies of local retailers, not that I'm advocating doing that.

Well definetly thats an option but my main rig has been down for about 6 months and i want it back up. Sending motherboards back until i get one that works is very time consuming.

As I mentioned earlier I have opty 165's in two Abit AT8 mobo's no problems at all. Also 165 running fine in a DFI Ultra D....

plywood99 said:
As I mentioned earlier I have opty 165's in two Abit AT8 mobo's no problems at all. Also 165 running fine in a DFI Ultra D....

Yeah that abit is a bit expensive and also its a Crossfire board id prefer SLI Nvidia.

Nathan0490 said:
Actually, i havent seen 1 165 opteron user that hasnt been having these problems with their an8-sli, I read the abit forums to find many others with this problem.
Other problems maybe but not booting they don't.

i popped my 165 into my DFI Ultra-D and it went perfect. I also changed the ram to 276 without touching anything else.

Back